CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: winchester lake 6/17 PB pike Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me being a freshwater fisherman who will go for anything that swims, white catfish I still haven't caught.

I've caught fish ranging from grass pickerel, golden shiners, native trout, and creek chubs to largemouths, walleye, smallmouths, and chain pickerel. Plenty of bottom feeders in the mix, except for white catfish.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
With me being a freshwater fisherman who will go for anything that swims, white catfish I still haven't caught.

I've caught fish ranging from grass pickerel, golden shiners, native trout, and creek chubs to largemouths, walleye, smallmouths, and chain pickerel. Plenty of bottom feeders in the mix, except for white catfish.

How about bowfin?
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

They put a crapload of big albino cats in Lake Wintergreen (Hamden) this year Mike. When I was fishing the west shore I saw 30 of them lollygagging around, but they just got there so they wouldnt bite. I vowed to never go back to that cesspool, but if you want to knock them off your bucket list, I could meet you out there some time with some stink bait and we could have a go at it. That's if the bobber patrol hasn't wiped them out by now. And bowfin...now there's a dinosaur I wouldnt know the first thing about going after. White wine/lemon butter, or tarter sauce??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
You should be okay if you tie thick fluro to braid. You can use a wire leader, but I prefer 40-50lb flurocarbon. It's held me up, and most of the guys I talk to use it as well. Right now I have 50lb braid with 40lb fluro on my heavy setup.

What he said Very Happy
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sap whats your rod and reel setup?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a shimano solstace 2500 with Daiwa Aird MH 6'6" rod. You could probably even go heavier. I am no pro, but it works for me lol. Less than $100 for that setup. The braid I have is suffix 832 50lb and 40lb fluro dissapearing pink (forgot the brand). I had the same rod and reel with 30lb braid and 20 lb fluro before and I kept losing Pike at the boat. After losing 4 lures I finally changed...should of a while ago. Their teeth are so sharp is scary. They will bite right through braid or thin fluro. 40lb fluro is enough for me, some guys swear by wire leader though or even a thicker fluro.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i may have to get a spool of 50lb braid next time i go to the bait and tackle. Do you know if you can launch kayaks in the wethersfield cove?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can. There is a fee for non residents of $20 but I'm not sure if it applies to just trailer launch not car top. I would call the town first to double check.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non residents of the town or state?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Town. I believe residents is $10 and anyone else who doesn't live in Wethersfield it's $20, but like I said you should probably call first. It might only apply to trailer launch. Not sure..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
Town. I believe residents is $10 and anyone else who doesn't live in Wethersfield it's $20, but like I said you should probably call first. It might only apply to trailer launch. Not sure..

I have a 12.5' jonboat i launch out of the back of my truck. I could launch it right in wethersfield cover? I carry it right in, real light. I just have my trolling motor so i wouldnt venture into the river for keeney or white oak cove if i wanted to head there.

As far as PIke you can get lucky not breaking your line, but it's not worth the chance. My boss caught a 20-25" pike with decent teeth on it with just 8 lb fluoro on his line (was fishing bass with wacky senkos and the pike hit it). Got it on the boat with no snapped line.

I have a heavier rod set up with 30 lb braid and 20 lb fluoro leader and its worked for me, but i'm thinking of upping it up a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely can, yep. You can launch anything there from a yak to a bigger size boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the braid strength should be 30-60, i use 30 and have never had a problem, BUT your leader needs to be 3-5 feet long of a good quality flourocarbon leader material like Seagar or Yo-zuri, wire leader will work for them by not breaking you off, but in my opinion you will catch WAY more fish with an invisible flourocarbon leader, yes, i do believe they can see it in most cases! Hope that helps answer any questions you may have! -Dan Also keep in mind that it takes a long time to grow big pike so catch and release is huge if you want to keep the fishery going! Its ok to keep some but just keep that in mind!
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Pike are always fun to catch! Congrats on a very nice CT specimen.

Especially in JUNE. those fish disappear once the water warms...
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to know how the pike tasted. Please let me know, Lax101. Flipper didn't sound too impressed with the taste of the pike he kept a while back, but it was a beat up, old looking fish. In any case, although I'd be inclined to keep a big chain pickerel, I don't see myself ever keeping a northern pike. Well, unless I were to release one that floats belly up, like Flipper's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: