CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson Park Pond 05/05 to 05/06 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Batterson Park Pond 05/05 to 05/06 Reply with quote

I'm running on only 2-1/2 hours of sleep, so I'll make this as short as possible. JJay (aka Jason) wanted to fish Batterson Park Pond on Saturday morning to catch the Cabela's Million Dollar Fish, which sounded pretty good to me. I tried to get TurtleKiss (aka Kira) to go with me, but she decided to take a whole day siesta to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. Rolling Eyes Jason was able to talk his buddy, Vu, into going with him, even though Vu doesn't like fishing at Batterson. I guess that Batterson hasn't been very friendly to Vu. Wink I normally get out of bed pretty early, but was exhausted and couldn't drag my butt out of bed. At 9:30 am, however, Jason sent me a text message that he had only managed to catch two yellow perch, so I got my act together, loaded up my gear and headed out to the lake. When I launched in The Other Woman at 10:45 am, the air was already beautifully warm. The sky was overcast, but there was little to no wind. The water was clear down to five or six feet and the water temperature hung around58 degrees. Jason and Vu were on the other side of the lake, so I just headed over to the west shore. I threw a green pumpkin/red flake Baby Brush Hog on a 1/8 ounce shakeyhead jighead over the submerged rock wall and into the one foot deep cove. It got picked up by a fish that I saw was a 2-1/2 pound largemouth bass when I pulled it into the center of the cove. My excitement quickly turned to disappointment when it somehow spit the hook. Sonofab*!@# Mad It soon started to drizzle as I headed up the shore. At 11:00 am, I saw Jason and Vu heading down the center of the lake toward the ramp, so I pedaled over to them. Neither of them had rain gear and they were heading off of the water. It turns out that they had been on the water since 7:00 am and had seen very little action. Sorry I was so late, guys! Embarassed I headed back to the west shore and continued to throw the Baby Brush Hog over the rock wall. Unfortunately, it would hang up on the rocks every once in a while. On one occasion as I pedaled up to a snag, a 15 inch largemouth bass slowly cruised past me and down the shoreline. Right before I reached the first point on the shore, I saw a dead 3-1/2 pound largemouth bass on a short clothesline stringer being devoured by turtles in the water over the rock wall:

What a waste of a fish! Crying or Very sad I'm going to pass out soon, so I'm going to summarize. At 11:38 am, the Baby Brush Hog got me a rock bass:

At 12:06 pm, the Baby Brush Hog got me a largemouth bass:

At 12:13 pm, the Baby Brush Hog got me a rock bass:

At 12:21 pm, the Baby Brush Hog got me a rock bass:

The Baby Brush Hog was pretty mutilated by this time and I couldn't find more, so I swapped it out or a white four inch curlytail grub. At 12:50 pm, the grub got me a rock bass:

Damn you, jimbojonez! Twisted Evil As I headed off the water to get my wife and head over to Jason's house for lunch, I trolled a Bluegill Rapala Shad Rap SR05 and a Silver Rapala Original Floating F07. At 1:28 pm, the Bluegill Rapala got me a white perch:

And at 1:37 pm, it got me another white perch:

I didn't get any more hits as I approached the ramp and got off of the water at 1:45 pm:

After a terrific lunch at Jason's house, my wife and I headed home to feed our kids. Thanks, Jason and Thanh! Very Happy At 9:30 pm, while I was cleaning the kitchen after dinner, Kira sent me a text message that she had awakened from her siesta and was ready to head over to Batterson to catch some walleye. After I finished cleaning up, I headed over to the lake. Kira was already on the water in Dinghbat when I launched at 10:30 pm. The air was still warm and the moon was covered by the overcast sky. There was no wind; the water was flat calm. The conditions were perfect for fishing at night. Very Happy We headed over to the west shore for a while, but I hate throwing lures to a darkened shoreline, especially when the water is as shallow as it is on the west shore at Batterson. So I told Kira that I was going to troll for walleye, instead. I still had the Bluegill and Silver Rapalas tied on. Kira motored along next to me as we moved away from the west shore into slightly deeper and weedless water. At 10:57 pm, as we passed the first point on the west shoreline, I got a hit on the Bluegill Rapala:

Hey, Wally! It was just a 16 incher, but whoo hoo! Very Happy At 11:51 pm, the Silver Rapala got me a nice black crappie:

At 12:46 am, a Silver Rapala Shallow Shad Rap SSR5 got Kira a white perch:

At 1:52 am, the Bluegill Rapala got me a rock bass:

At 2:00 am, I marked a fish on my fish finder as I was trolling parallel to the rip-rap wall on the north end of the lake. I had never before caught a fish that I had marked on my finder, so I waited with anticipation as I trolled the Rapalas over the marked fish. I almost couldn't believe it when I got a hit on the Bluegill Rapala:

Another walleye! Although it was only a 15 incher, whoo hoo! Very Happy And at 2:15 am, the Silver Rapala got me my second ever marked and caught fish, which was another rock bass:

At 2:50 am, the Bluegill Rapala got me another rock bass:

I saw two red navigation lights in the middle of the lake, one on either side of the submerged island. So I pedaled over to see who had arrived. It was CT_bassman (aka Joe). He had driven up from Derby to fish for walleye. He didn't waste any time, because at 2:59 am, he caught one:

My iPhone 4S can't take flash photos worth a damn, but that's a 23 inch keeper walleye! Shocked Joe got it on a perch patterned Berkley rattling crankbait. I'm jealous, Joe, seriously jealous. Very Happy By this time, I was pretty tired, so I decided to head off of the water. As I pedaled down to the ramp, I continued to troll the Rapalas. At 3:15 am, the Bluegill Rapala got me another walleye:

The bite seemed to be picking up again, so I couldn't bring myself to leave. I continued to troll and at 3:52 am, the Bluegill Rapala got me another rock bass:

At 3:48 am, the Silver Rapala got me a nice black crappie:

And, finally, at 4:16 am, the Bluegill Rapala got me another walleye:

I could NOT believe that it was 17-1/2 inches long. Mad I got off of the water at 4:45 am, while Kira and Joe stayed out. I left the lot at 5:00 am and probably got to sleep at 5:30 am. At 8:00 am, I got a text message from Jason that he was back on the water and had finally caught a largemouth bass:

So I got dressed, picked up some food and coffee for Kira and headed back to the lake. When I launched at 9:45 am, the air was warm and there was full sun. Kira was over by the beach, so I trolled the Rapalas. On my way there, I passed Jason, who was heading off of the water. We need to get you the right Rapalas for trolling! Wink Kira and Joe were on the dock at the beach. Joe still had his keeper walleye alive on a stringer and Kira was stretching her legs. I decided to head over to the Carp-In and meet some of the carpers. Hey, Ethan, Gary, Steve and Ian! Very Happy Someone had set a personal best before I arrived when he landed the only carp of the morning, which weighed a massive 38-1/2 pounds:

There was a really good turnout for the Carp-In. It's amazing how far they throw their lines; 100 yards or more. Carpers all have big rods! Laughing While we were talking with the carpers, NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) showed up with coffee and donuts. He was on his way to check out an outboard motor and just wanted to stop by and say, "Hi!", to everyone. Hey, Bob! Very Happy I think fishing is more fun than talking about fishing, so I got back on the water. I headed into the shallow cove next to the beach to get things started by catching a yellow perch with a white two inch curlytail grub on a 1/16 ounce round jighead. At 10:43 am, I got a rock bass, instead:

But I got the yellow perch only two minutes later:

After that, I got a couple of more yellow perch and three more rock bass. Rolling Eyes I paddled up the east shore to the spillway dam. On my way there, I met chuckc, who was fishing on his G3 with his son, who looked like he was ready to get off of the water. Hey, Chuck! Very Happy When I talked with Chuck, he put into words what I hadn't. A very few largemouth bass are on beds, but they're not yet really guarding them and are easily spooked off of them. The rest are cruising for mates and not feeding very aggressively. Wink After I passed Chuck, I caught a couple of sunnies in the shallows by the spillway. At that point, I had to move away from the shore as I went counterclockwise around the lake, because carpers lined the shore from there to the shallow cove next to the beach. Halfway back to the beach, Kira sent a text message to let me know that she had caught a 16 inch, two pound largemouth bass. But it was a special fish:

Whoo hoo! Very Happy As usual, I was hungry, so we decided to go out for a celebratory lunch. We headed back to the ramp and were off of the water at 2:30 pm. It was a l-o-n-g two days of fishing but it might have paid off for at least one of us! Very Happy I'm gonna pass out now. Good night.

Oh, and I blame jimbojonez for the parade of rock bass photos. You can thank him for all of them Rolling Eyes Laughing

Last edited by PECo on Mon May 07, 2012 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked That's some serious fishing right there. Fishing marathon Smile
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was pretty good for my first walleye of the year!
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out standing job guyz wish i could of stayed but i need a motor so had to pass on the fishing sad to say
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arghhhh! Upsize your bait, Phil!!!! Your panfish-to bass ratio is obscene! One of these days/nights you should leave all of your tackle at home and use mine instead.

I didn't catch much in terms of quantity, but I did get this chunky 5lb 1oz night bass on the Midnight Special. Anxiously awaiting my first topwater blowup of 2012.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm me any of you batterson night fishers. i live close by and have access to a private spring fed no motors lake with insane night fishing. i am willing to take one guest at a time there with me.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't mean an insane rock bass bite! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome fishing guys! That Shad Rap went to town!
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there REALLY IS walleye in there!!!

Nice going folks.
Looks like it's time to clean the dust off the ole jonboat.

Again congratulations!!!

JC
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its legal to stay on Batterson after dusk? I was there the other night and some guys in a boat said I should get off the water with them because the lake closes at dusk and he had seen the DEP give out tickets plenty of times
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowhunter095 wrote:
its legal to stay on Batterson after dusk? I was there the other night and some guys in a boat said I should get off the water with them because the lake closes at dusk and he had seen the DEP give out tickets plenty of times

Yes, you can fish past dark, but the key word is "fish." If you're just hanging out in the parking lot, then you're not supposed to be there.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guys were full of it. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that was a real nice bass Kira and that walleye the other guy got was real nice too. I believe i saw u guys paddling around and hanging out on the beach by the guys carp fishing down there. I was over by the damn and it was dead as a door nail. But i saw a few perch cruising around along with a rock bass and a decent largemouth.
JJay

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report as always Phil.
Congrats on the LMBs Kira (especially the special tagged one!)
CT_BASSman, think i said hello Sunday morning ("nice kayak")

The search for tagged fish continues.....
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooooow, so i stopped fishing for no reason! I hate liars!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: