CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Tyler Lake-Goshen-What to expect? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Cranky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Tyler Lake-Goshen-What to expect? Reply with quote

Anyone working that water this time of year? I've never fished it and thinking of going some evening after work next week. I see it mentioned a lot in the ice fishing section but don't think I've seen it mentioned for warm weather fishing.

I also read in the DEP book that it was being stocked with walleye back 10 years or so ago, but don't see any mention of it in this years Anglers Guide; I wonder if they're still doing it or have given it up. I wouldn't be trying for them anyway, just an idle thought.

I'd like to get in to some crappie and Tyler looks like a possibility. I don't fish big lakes since I have a rowboat-no motor- so tend to work the smaller waters.

Thanks for any experience you'd care to offer. Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been here ice fishing and i caught lots of pickerel and perch with some nice sized bass. The crappie when we were there were out deeper and close to bottom. There are lotsss of weeds when i icefished there so expects tons of that. Id try the southwest area. The walleye were stocked there during 1993 i think and they stocked a few other places and im pretty sure the DEP stopped stocking them because they couldnt get the walleye to reproduce fast enough for the population to stay at a decent size. There were only about 5 lakes that had a large population (Lake saltonstall, Gardner lake, Squantz pond, Batterson pond, and i think Mashapaug Lake)There are walleye still in there but the biggest size would probably be 16'' or so. I think you may have to hit tyler alot for your chances on a walleye to be good. But for the crappie, there were good amounts of them in about 20 FOW when i went. Youre most likely to catch a few crappie and perch and some bass and pickerel. Good Luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's helpful info, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I've icefished Tyler many times and caught plenty of pickerel and perch. A few bass and trout here and there. Only had 1 or 2 crappie landed while ice fishing there.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey michael! I've heard of trout in tyler but havent caught one. Are they stocked pretty well in there?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience ice fishing there, it seems like there isn't a good stocking there. Plus, you have to find them.
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
From my experience ice fishing there, it seems like there isn't a good stocking there. Plus, you have to find them.

Which is so much fun when you have to cut a hole everywhere you "look."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeds
MarkO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy jetski/water skiing after 10am. Go early then get out.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of a divided culture in the summer. Left of the launch is bass/pic grounds, then right of the launch is where it gets deep and supports the trout. Boat traffic after Memorial Day is a nightmare with the ski folk though. Definitely better off hitting it early if you can.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stratos17 wrote:
Weeds

What he said! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I fished Tyler, the ROCK BASS were just plain relentless. granted, for what they are, they are scrappers, and the rod did bend a wee bit... no other fish stood a chance against em.

as far as jet ski-ers... bring a few bunker snags and test your casting accuracy.
advice: lead them about 5 ft !

I have ice fished it too... but its 90 frikken 7 degrees today and the only ice i care about is melting in my drink.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind Lots and lots of wind ....every time ive been there gusty place

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I ought to re-think my timing on launching and fishing there. I really appreciate the opinions and observations. In years past, West Side has never been good to me so I thought I'd try Tyler being it 2 minutes farther down the road.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A certain area that produces for me in the winter is the wall by the houses. Quick drop off against that wall with deeper water out that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: