CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: new braided line user
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjshiz3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: new braided line user Reply with quote

I just switched over to braided line because I was getting sick of losing my lures on monofil. But the one problem I'm having is that I'm losing a lot of fish after I hook up. Is there something I can do to the drag or they way I'm setting the hook to make it so I don't lose the fish??
Genesis2245

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to remember with braid is that is no give or delay in the line. With mono when you pull back on the rod to set the hook there is a slight delay before the pull on the lure matched that of the rod. With no stretch to braid you sometimes wanna not set as hard or you could tear it out of the mouth of the fish. If you move your rod tip an inch you pull the hook an inch.
I generally tie on a flouro leader onto my braid. My main rod has 20lb braid and I add about 18" of flouro. This give it a little stretch and helps when fishing near rocks since rocks will cut through braid. They only time I really fish strait braid is when I am topwater fishing in slop and weeds.
Hope this helps you some.
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: new braided line user Reply with quote

cjshiz3 wrote:
I just switched over to braided line because I was getting sick of losing my lures on monofil. But the one problem I'm having is that I'm losing a lot of fish after I hook up. Is there something I can do to the drag or they way I'm setting the hook to make it so I don't lose the fish??

Uni-Knot about 2 feet of flurocarbon at the end of your braid. Tie all your hooks and lures to the fluro. Fluro is good because it has a little more stretch and it is virtually see through.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: balanced tackle Reply with quote

It's really important to have balance tackle, and I'm not sure what kind of pole/hooks you are using, but if you have an extra fast tip and are using lures with small sharp hooks you may be ripping the hooks right out. If that's the problem you could get a pole with a more gradual taper( fast or maybe moderate fast ) or you could use larger hooks. Of course, I don't know what you're using or what kind of lures you are trying to throw, but those are some ideas. And, yeah, fluoro leader is a good idea, like the other guys said. It is abrasion resistant and more invisible. You will have to learn a uni to uni knot if you don't know how. Fluoro has more stretch than braid, although the amount you will get in a 2 ft leader might not be the solution to your problem. Adjusting your hookset is another option as well. I guess you'll have to play with all these factors until you figure out what works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: