CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: mattabasset river Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JesseC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankeality wrote:
I just moved to a complex on the mattabesset in Middletown on the Cromwell line. There seems to be some good shore access on a bike trail that winds through the apartments. Has anyone had luck fishing this river from shore?

Frank, i had alot of luck on the mattabasset last year, caught numerous largemouth, perch, bluegills, and a few small trout here and there. i only fished it from shore last year( as i didnt have a boat at the time) and i would usually go to the berlin rd dam in east berlin right near the cromwell line off of pasco hill rd. park on the side of the road or in the gravel lot nearby and walk down and fish the bottom of the dam, alot of fish seemed to hang out there.. just watch out for the water snakes there in the summer! they will grab a fish right off the hook and keep coming back for more! Mad underneath the bridge downstream is a good spot too. also had some luck fishing from the boat launch behind dunkin donuts in cromwell off of shunpike rd.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your running power boat you will also need safe boater cert. even for a trolling motor ...just incase you didnt know Cool

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?A=2686&Q=384522

Im not sure the how long its good for but you can get a temp cert. from Deep while you wait to do the class its a couple months I think, Peco knows more about ths than I do he used 1 till he got the lifetime cert.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankeality wrote:
I just moved to a complex on the mattabesset in Middletown on the Cromwell line. There seems to be some good shore access on a bike trail that winds through the apartments. Has anyone had luck fishing this river from shore?

I see guys fishing and catching from the shore all the time.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
JesseC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud wrote:
if your running power boat you will also need safe boater cert. even for a trolling motor ...just incase you didnt know Cool

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?A=2686&Q=384522

Im not sure the how long its good for but you can get a temp cert. from Deep while you wait to do the class its a couple months I think, Peco knows more about ths than I do he used 1 till he got the lifetime cert.

thanks for response and help NWD Smile thankfully i already completed the course recently for the CPWO before i even got the boat Very Happy all i've got left to do now is register, just waiting on getting the 2hp motor from my father's friend.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fishing/stockingmaps/mattabasset.pdf i don't know what the deal is with the alternate spelling, I have seen it before though. This was just in the paper yesterday, they apparently finished this project. You mentioned you fished the dam in E.Berlin I believe that's where this is, I don't know anything spawns in that godforsaken river, but it couldn't hurt Smile . http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/connecticut/newsroom/ct-mattabasset-fish-passage.xml
[/url]
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbojonez wrote:
http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fishing/stockingmaps/mattabasset.pdf i don't know what the deal is with the alternate spelling, I have seen it before though. This was just in the paper yesterday, they apparently finished this project. You mentioned you fished the dam in E.Berlin I believe that's where this is, I don't know anything spawns in that godforsaken river, but it couldn't hurt Smile . http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/connecticut/newsroom/ct-mattabasset-fish-passage.xml
[/url]

Laughing They spelled it two different ways on the map! Laughing

Most of the signs I've seen around the river spell it Mattabesset, with an "e".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. It's weird. My street and the one in East Berlin are Mattabassett. The poop plant is Mattabassett District. The river is Mattabasset or Mattabesset ... I don't know Algonquin so I give up.
JesseC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbojonez wrote:
[/url]

thats pretty cool Very Happy i always wondered what they were making there by the dam, i'm gunna have to go check that out soon.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JesseC wrote:
jimbojonez wrote:
[/url]

thats pretty cool Very Happy i always wondered what they were making there by the dam, i'm gunna have to go check that out soon.

I've either put in in my friends jon boat behind the DD and headed down or run my boat up the river. Never went any further up river than the put in. I'll have to poke around. How far up can you go?
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
I've either put in in my friends jon boat behind the DD and headed down or run my boat up the river. Never went any further up river than the put in. I'll have to poke around. How far up can you go?

To the dam at Pasco Hill Road, if you're a fish. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mrwa-ct.org/canoe.htm i don't know how up to date this is but it is pretty cool nonetheless.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stretch from kensington road all the way to mill street is NOT for canoeing or even kayaking. (or walking) there are a a couple of holes with mini bass and mini perch but more thorns log jams and garbage than fish. there is the very rare old holdover trout or salmon, but this stretch of stream has very little oxygen and most cold water fish seek the faster current waaay down stream in the section from rt 9 to pasco hill. i haven't caught a fish past pasco hill damn. not a one though I am aware they become more plentiful come Cromwell and Middletown.
JesseC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:

We put the boat in at the dam today on pasco hill rd. in berlin and made it all the way down to the DD landing in cromwell, we somehow managed to maneuver over about 10 crazy log jams/drops along the way without flipping the boat Rolling Eyes so i wouldnt really recommend going up too far, unless you like white water and risky maneuvers of course Wink

Heres a photo of us heading downstream towards a huge log jam that created a a small waterfall/dam with about a 2 foot drop over the other side into a swirling mess of water
Shocked Shocked

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

some more along the way.

PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, JesseC. Now I really, really want to take my kayak out on the water. Very Happy

The next time that you take your jon boat out, though, please wear personal flotation devices (PFDs). Wink I realize most of that section of the Mattabesset is probably shallow enough for you to stand up in it, but the regulations require appropriate PFDs to be readily accessible for every person on a boat. In addition, there's a special regulation that requires them to be worn on manually propelled vessels at this time of year:
Quote:
Sec. 15-121-A17. Personal flotation devices for manually propelled vessels.
During the period from October first through May thirty-first all persons aboard a manually propelled vessel shall wear a Type I, II, III, V or V Hybrid United States Coast Guard approved personal flotation device of appropriate size and in serviceable condition. Except as provided in subsection (b) of section 15-121-A13 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, no operator, owner or user of said manually propelled vessel shall allow any person to be aboard who is not wearing such a device.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reg info. I just got a new PFD that i am rocken, and i made my son ware his yesterday threw the protest. Its so cold i did not want to deal with jumping in after him. I am very parinoid about the water temps right now and the danger they pose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: