CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic River - Shelton 03/05
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Housatonic River - Shelton 03/05 Reply with quote

After a few sightseeing outings on the Connecticut River, TurtleKiss (aka Kira) made me take her down to the lower Housatonic River, so she could see what a fish looks like. We headed to the Sunnyside Boat Launch Facility in Shelton. When we arrived, a tree crew was cleaning up the trees in the park and taking up the space for trailer parking with their chipper, so I ended up having to park my jeep and trailer off to the side:

When we launched at 8:20 am, the air temperature was above freezing, but the wind was blowing out of the north at a steady 10+ miles per hour. However, since NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) wasn't around, we enjoyed full sun:

Ahhh, that feels good! Very Happy Low tide was at 12:44 pm, so we fished both sides of it. After we left the ramp, we zig-zagged across the river as we headed upriver to the cove on the downriver side of Two Mile Island. We didn't mark many fish with the finder until we got to the cove, which we were glad to see is now totally free of ice:

We marked a few bunches of fish holding on structure or cover on the bottom with the finder, but we also marked a big school of fish that appeared to be circling around the cove near the bottom. We'd find it, then lose it, find it, then lose it. It was so thick that the finder couldn't discriminate individual fish within the school. It appeared as a 10 foot thick red wall moving across the bottom in 30 to 35 feet of water. Kira and I both threw jigs. I stuck mostly with a Pearl five inch Trigger X Minnow on a white/red eye 1/2 ounce fishhead jighead. For two hours after we launched, we got nothing. Not a bite. Not a nibble. Not a bump. Nothing. Confused At 10:20 am, a fisherman whom I had seen on the lower Housy before pedaled up in a Hobie Pro Angler:

Hey, Sean! Or is it Shawn? Anyway, since Sean had a fish finder on his Hobie, we helped each other out spotting the school. Knowing where it was and getting the fish to bite were totally different things, though. Around 11:30 am, I finally snagged a fish when I was trying the Hard Jerk and Fall technique that I learned from mep21 (aka Mark). I was surprised when I pulled up a fat 11 inch white perch. So surprised, I guess, that I totally forgot to take a photo of it. Confused Kira was disappointed that the school of fish we had been targeting with striper lures was probably made up of white perch. I'm fairly sure that it was an anadraomous (aka freshwater spawning saltwater fish) male, because the horny bugger milted on my hand. It was another hour before I snagged up a schoolie striped bass:

Although Kira was more impressed with the striper than the white perch, I was getting frustrated that I was snagging fish, instead of hooking them in the mouth. Only a few minutes later, I snagged up what ended up being the first of four striper scales:

Just great. . . . Rolling Eyes While the fishing wasn't going very well, the weather was. The sun stayed out, the wind eased and the air temperature rose to the mid 40s. It got nice out there! Very Happy At 1:10 pm, while trying the Excruciatingly Slow Drag technique that I learned from hila2006 (aka John), I finally caught a schoolie striper by hooking it in the mouth:

Whoo hoo! Very Happy On my next cast, I got another hit using the Excruciatingly Slow Drag technique, but lost it. Mad At 2:45 pm, I got another hit I figured was a decent sized striped bass that was either hooked in the mouth or snagged near the tail. It pulled drag for a few minutes before I finally horsed it to the surface and Kira netted it:

It was a 21 inch striped bass that I snagged above the pectoral fins. Sonofab*!@# Mad 15 minutes later, Kira finally boated a fish, although she knew that she had snagged it immediately after she hooked it:

I ended up snagging one more schoolie striper:

As the sun began to drop below the treeline, I called "Just One More". I never got mine, but Kira snagged up hers:

Oh, well! Rolling Eyes By the time that we put out from the river at 5:40 pm, the parking lot had emptied out:

Although Kira never caught a fish, technically, because she snagged both of hers, I think that she was glad to at least handle a fish. We're going to have to work on this fishing thing some more. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you'll have to keep practicing...I know sounds horrible, right?
bassinthesalt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fish are turning on the lures after they go to hit them. its not like they are just getting snagged
bassinthesalt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the key lure tho
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassinthesalt wrote:
the fish are turning on the lures after they go to hit them. its not like they are just getting snagged

Only one of the fish that I snagged was hooked anywhere near the mouth; I snagged it underneath the jaw. I think the snagged fish were more the result of simply dragging our jigs through thick schools of fish than the fish taking a swipe at the jigs.

Thanks for trying to make me feel better about it, but they were just finicky that day. Wink In any case, I consider myself to be an angler and "angling" means fishing with hook and line which shall be personally attended, but shall not include ice fishing or snagging or snatching, and "snagging" or "snatching" means the taking of fish by foul hooking, that is, hooking fish in any part of the body other than inside the mouth.

I DID get one, though. Cool Sorry, Kira! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy on the kayak is a regular on the Yakdawgs forum. That guy is a mad fisherman and catches loads of fish. Great guy!
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what happens when you dont bring clouds with ya fishing sun all day Very Happy just a few deg. in temp and a lttle rain and poof the ice is gone .....I love soft water to hell with the ice . come on spring

well back to work on the boat....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennethshaw wrote:
The guy on the kayak is a regular on the Yakdawgs forum. That guy is a mad fisherman and catches loads of fish. Great guy!

I had never heard of the Yakdawgs forum before. Thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil, thanks for the hila2006 reference dude. That was the only way to get them that day for me anyways Very Happy Still, that was a blast that day. I'm going to head out in the yak this weekend on Beseck, ice is out on there. There's just a little bit by my house, 90% of the lake was open when I got home last night. I'm gonna try to slooooooow drag of a white sluggo to start of with.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hila2006 wrote:
Hey Phil, thanks for the hila2006 reference dude. That was the only way to get them that day for me anyways Very Happy Still, that was a blast that day. I'm going to head out in the yak this weekend on Beseck, ice is out on there. There's just a little bit by my house, 90% of the lake was open when I got home last night. I'm gonna try to slooooooow drag of a white sluggo to start of with.

I think a slow rolled big spinnerbait or a big swimbait might also be a good idea right now. You just have to say, "Here, pikey, pikey, pikey. . . ." during your retrieve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: