CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Beat the Skunk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Beat the Skunk Reply with quote

After keeping an eye on the radar and forecast last night, I thought today was gonna be a good fishing day for trout before the next system moves in on Tuesday. Decided to venture out on my bike from Bridgeport's North End to the Mill River TMA in Fairfield.

Arrived at the parking area around 2pm and headed up for the usual spot. Started off by throwing my trusty brown trout Flat Rap FLR-6.

After a few casts I set the hook! Landed my second trout of the year and first trout of February!
11 1/2" brown

That brown gave me some nice head shakes and did 2 jumps.

Kept casting for a while and had another brown come up from the deep in the same area twice but didn't set the hook.

After no more action I played around with a few other lures including glass minnow Husky Jerk HJ-6, original pearl shad Flat Rap FLR-6, purpledescent Clackin Minnow CNM-7, and shad Shallow Shad Rap SSR-5. Didn't feel or see anything with those lures so I gave the other FLR-6 a few more tries which resulted in a brown flash behind it on 1 cast.

Headed downstream to a few common spots but didn't see or feel anything.

Later I headed over to the Congress St stretch. Never fished that area before but found some nice spots for holdovers.

Congress St bridge spot looked interesting but didn't produce.

Casted a number of times in a few stretches. One certain stretch was a deep area that was calm on the surface but had that stronger underwater current. Stuck with that area for a while. In 1 spot on that stretch I had 3 hits by what seemed to be either a curious holdover or a cautious native. 1 was a swipe and the other 2 were quick head shakes. In another spot I got a quick hit and spit.

Once it was 5:30pm I hit the road.

SO HAPPY to get out and catch a fish and wet a line and lure!!!!!!
JesseC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the trout michael! i have yet to catch one this year, hopefully soon enough tho! Very Happy
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back those casts that you get a flash up with a small spinner like a Thomas or Panther Martin and they usually take it.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are not made by Rapala so forget that! LOL

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHA ! I'm a Rapala guy for trout and I know he is for everything.
Hope buys on ebay like me ! WAY WAY WAY CHEAPER.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does! There are somethings Ebay is just way cheaper on and somethings not. Look on Ebay for Diawa SP and they are actually way cheaper at Harborview bait in Stratford!!!!

snap fisher777

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like my message made you want to try it out. Nice Fish!
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
He does! There are somethings Ebay is just way cheaper on and somethings not. Look on Ebay for Diawa SP and they are actually way cheaper at Harborview bait in Stratford!!!!

LUNKERBASSERFISHING wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA ! I'm a Rapala guy for trout and I know he is for everything.
Hope buys on ebay like me ! WAY WAY WAY CHEAPER.

I have gotten SSSOOOO many good deals on Rapala Flat Raps on Ebay. I've even been giving advice to member Dedgeafvet on which Rapalas to buy on Ebay what his max bid should be or if it's a great deal for BIN.

He recently got 4 FLR-6 in excellent trout colors for aprox $20. Wholesale price for a FLR-6 is $6. Look at this listing!!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Rapala-FLR-6-Bass-Crankbaits-NIB-/121071115386?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c30669c7a

I've gotten great deals on FLR-16 for surf fishing. This listing is an EXCELLENT DEAL!!!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-RAPALA-FLAT-RAP-HARD-FLASHING-ACTION-FLR-16-OPS-Chrome-/230935333865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c4d18be9

Even lures such as a Rapala version of the SP Minnow called the Max Rap are listed at an amazingly low price! Wholesale for a MXR-13 is about $10 or $11 when look at this listing! http://www.ebay.com/itm/lot-of-5-RAPALA-MAX-RAP-13s-DIFFERENT-COLORED-BAITS-/390548770607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aee854f2f
AlexF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael; is that stretch along congress part of the tma and when does the non tma close. If I'm not mistaken the tma is from the parkway down to the pond. Thanks, btw my first fish of 2013 was last month in the wtma upstream.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did Rapala copy Diawa?

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexF wrote:
Michael; is that stretch along congress part of the tma and when does the non tma close. If I'm not mistaken the tma is from the parkway down to the pond. Thanks, btw my first fish of 2013 was last month in the wtma upstream.

The stretch along Congress is not part of the TMA. All non-tidal rivers stocked with trout close the last day of February unless they're not listed in the Angler's Guide or they're some type of management area.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
When did Rapala copy Diawa?

The Max Rap was introduced last year. Other than the current 11cm and 13 cm sizes, there's the 15cm and 17cm size that were only around for last year but can still be found.

The Japanese color on the Max Rap called Chrome Black Purple was the lure that caught me about 14 out of the 18 or so stripers on December 3 last year. Size 17 was the one. Josh was throwing SP Minnows and also tried a black purple Redfin but didn't have much luck.
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]

I buy these and other colors and sizes from China and the they work AWSOME !
20 CENTS EACH !!! SP MIMMOW SIZE , A DOLLAR EACH !!!

Last edited by LUNKERBASSERFISHING on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:14 am; edited 2 times in total
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

14mm.
Also get sizes 170mm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: