CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: 5/4 catfishing wethersfield cove Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjpd_00

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the bells and I also tried the glowsticks but I gave up on that stuff. Now I usually just hold my pole and feel the bite or just make sure when I put it down the tip is above the far tree line so I can see the bite with the moonlight. I never thought of using a slip bobber. I use a slider rig for the weight and tie on a barrel swivel with a thick leader.
DV

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use kinda the same rig, braid / 3/8th bullet / swivel / 20# leader / 3-0 circle hook. I absolutely can't stand those fish finder rigs, I always end with untangling a huge mess in the dark when I use those.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a great spot for cat's right up the river from the cove. it's the only place we fish for them. They seem to be big there, and hold year round. i will be going back as soon as the mud and ice chunks drain out of the river if anyone wants to make a day of it.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some ugly MoFo's

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, jimbojonez, what do you think holds the cats on that spot on the river? The outflow from the Hockanum?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the warm water discharge keeps them close to the warm water discharge; however, the Midwest boys target them through the ice in rivers. I have never heard of anyone targeting them here that way but I don't see why it wouldn't work if the river was safely frozen, or even from a boat when it's not.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these particular cats are big, and eat well. they are partial to local cuisine. fishing baits within feet of each other, fresh caught trout on one, fresh caught sucker on another, crappie caught right there at the hole kept catching the fish. Perch caught in the old power plant canal worked well but not as well as the fish caught there at the warm water discharge.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a bait fisherman, but I might be willing to chunk some panfish to catch catfish. They look like they'd be a blast to catch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last spring the cats were going crazy in and around the Salmon river cove. My friend was catching HUGE cats on a tiny kastmaster while we were catching lmb and pike on Texas rigs. Jigging with something shiny may work just as well depending on where and when you are fishing for them. My friend had one on that day that was pushing 30 lbs. and proved too big for the medium action bass pole he was using. he couldn't budge the fish with the pole and it wrapped itself up on a submerged log. we got the kastmaster back later with all three hooks straightened out. Shocked
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbojonez wrote:
last spring the cats were going crazy in and around the Salmon river cove. My friend was catching HUGE cats on a tiny kastmaster while we were catching lmb and pike on Texas rigs. Jigging with something shiny may work just as well depending on where and when you are fishing for them. My friend had one on that day that was pushing 30 lbs. and proved too big for the medium action bass pole he was using. he couldn't budge the fish with the pole and it wrapped itself up on a submerged log. we got the kastmaster back later with all three hooks straightened out. Shocked

I had heard that the eastern side of the flats at the mouth of the Salmon River is loaded with cats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: