CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: preparing to fish thr Naugatuck river Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: preparing to fish thr Naugatuck river Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Long time viewer here, but new to posting stuff. This is a great website and I look forward to posting more,
I have been reading alot on the naugatuck river walkway project and all the fishing spots that are along the river.
My question is, can someone tell me where the great spots are that are close to the parking areas, so that the walk isnt too bad?
I cant wait to fish the Naugy river come spring time, and would like someone advice as to the hot spots.
Also, I would love to take my Nucanoe out there but I read that the current is pretty strong. Is there any spots on the Naugy that you can launch but stay in the same place without having to worry about floating down?
Thanks very much all
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the canoeing aspect, but if you want a good spot for several species park in the BJ's parking lot in Ansonia or in the small parking area across the street and walk down the rocks. They can be a little tricky with the footing but not too bad. Any of the slower moving areas should produce Perch, SMB, and schoolie stripers. There are also supposedly large Carp in that area as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on ansonia.
Where abouts in beacon falls do people recommend. It would be my first time going so a specific road for parking would be awesome!
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is know how to get on Rt 8 north. Get off exit 24,25,26,27 and there are plenty of areas to park 10ft from the river and plenty of nice trout and small mouth bass and if your lucky , a salmon. GOLD THOMAS INLINE SPINNERS !!!!!!!!!! Cast upstream bout 1'oclock. Start retrieve and when lure makes the "swing" in the current , HOLD ON !!!! THE FISH HAMMER IT !!. All these areas you will see the green and yellow trout signs on the trees.

Beacon Falls, behind the firehouse !
Naugatuck, Lindin Park !

Last edited by LUNKERBASSERFISHING on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunkerbass,
Awesome tips, I appreciate it.
Time to hit up cabellas to buy some of the lures you mentioned.
Thanks again
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lures I've had lots of luck with in lower sections from Seymour and south include Rapala Flat Rap FLR-6 and Rapala Husky Jerk HJ-6. Small maribu jigs and soft plastic crayfish on a 1/8oz jighead are good too.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the Salmon stocked in here I would check the DEEP site for what tackle can be used. If I'm not mistaken certain times of the year fall under Salmon restrictions in the areas mentioned due to the Salmon stocking program. The little brooks feeding the river have some decent size wild trout also.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True . You must use a lure with a single hook certain times of the year and no extra weight may be added to anything you use.
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: A few Naugy trout. Reply with quote

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUNKERBASSERFISHING wrote:
True . You must use a lure with a single hook certain times of the year and no extra weight may be added to anything you use.

I thought the lower tidal section in Ansonia and Derby doesn't go by the regs on lures?
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be true. Just read the CT Fishing Guide.
avidangler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the tidal section is included.single swing free hook,no weight added to the fly,lure ir line.You can add weight in the consrruction of a fly or lure..KEY WORD IS CONSTRUCTION!Build a heavy lure or fly.Or remove weight from a heavier lure..

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the current information about fishing for Atlantic Salmon from the DEEP's website:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=4173&Q=511870

This section, in particular, is interesting to me:
Quote:
In the Naugatuck, Housatonic and Shetucket Rivers, angling for Atlantic salmon is restricted to catch-and-release only from October 1 through November 30. From December 1, 2012, through March 31, 2013, the daily creel limit for Atlantic salmon will be one. During the open season in the rivers, the legal method for taking Atlantic salmon is limited to angling using a single fly, or an artificial lure with a single free swinging hook and no additional weight can be added to the line above the fly or lure. Also, from October 1st through March 31st, fishing for other species in the designated Atlantic Salmon Broodstock Areas is restricted to the gear legal for Atlantic salmon.

Doesn't this mean that fishermen angling for stripers in the Housy are restricted to using, "a single fly, or an artificial lure with a single free swinging hook and no additional weight can be added to the line above the fly or lure"? I've sent an email to the DEEP asking for clarification.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the tidal section is included.Beacon falls and campville are the broodstock areas.You may however have to let a salmon go when targeting stripers.And then the single swing free down there when you are TARGETING them.I have heard of people catching salmon on zoom flukes but. had to release them because a jig doesn't freely swing.I don't know for sure.Why can't you tie a "rapala" knot?That make your hook freely swing all over the place.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some extra time (and highliters) at work today, so I put this together. I am also interested in trying for some trout in the next week or two. Let's see if I can figure how to post a photo:

[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: