CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: ready to go for stripers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvolkers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: ready to go for stripers Reply with quote

i got everything ready to go to housy! - i am guessing i launch from sunny side - follow the other boats and throw some some gulp baits on med action tackle and hope for the best! (LOL) - one question??? - i am thinking to hit the river on an incoming tide drift north and then south when the tide changes?

am i missing anything?
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Launch in Derby 2 hours before high tide. Drift to Sunny Side/Sikorski. Use 3/8 - 1/2oz white jig heads with white (ahh I forgot what their called) white shad type plastics. The glitter ones also work. Cast'em and let them flutter to the bottom. You'll know when your on a school.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finess?

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
rvolkers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may have to do sunnyside - i have a van and have heard the launch in derby may not be the best - i think i might take a drive and check things out - thanks for all the info!
rvolkers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

[quote="Wanna Fish"]Launch in Derby 2 hours before high tide. Drift to Sunny Side/Sikorski. Use 3/8 - 1/2oz white jig heads with white (ahh I forgot what their called) white shad type plastics. The glitter ones also work. Cast'em and let them flutter to the bottom. You'll know when your on a school.[/quote]

perhaps you and i can get out there WHEN does the action end in the river?
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

' WHEN does the action end in the river?'

When you decide to give the fish a rest.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rvolkers wrote:
may have to do sunnyside - i have a van and have heard the launch in derby may not be the best - i think i might take a drive and check things out - thanks for all the info!

The launch in derby is terrible

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
rvolkers wrote:

It isn't that bad! Beats the expensive tickets from the snob rules in Shelton. Been launching there for years. Along with many others.

RVLK the striper fishing just gets better until spring. The big ones (45lb last Mothers Day). Let me get work straightened out and I'll take a day off on the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"(ahh I forgot what their called)"

pearl zoom super flukes work well
fishingkid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chumslick rick wrote:
"(ahh I forgot what their called)"

pearl zoom super flukes work well

Zooms are very effective. I like the white and pink ones.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Launch in Derby 2 hours before high tide. Drift to Sunny Side/Sikorski. Use 3/8 - 1/2oz white jig heads with white (ahh I forgot what their called) white shad type plastics. The glitter ones also work. Cast'em and let them flutter to the bottom. You'll know when your on a school.

Thumbs Up A four to five inch fluke-type soft plastic lure is definitely what you need. A steady, twitching retrieve along the bottom will get them to bite. The key is to keep your lure on the bottom. It's exactly the same way that you fish for schooling anadromous white perch in the Spring.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:

Thumbs Up The best thing about it is that it's free and there's a lot of parking. Unless you can launch and put out at high tide, you shouldn't launch there. At high tide, the ramp is shallow. At low tide, the water drops six feet and the ramp is a dry Martian landscape.

Yeap, I have a story to tell. Wink I'll post a report.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would enjoy your story. Considering that I've fished this river numerous times over the forty years I've lived in the area. Not to mention the numerous times at all tide and river levels I've launched various size boats with out issues.

I've had more issues launching outa Haddam Meadows (Broken Axel in the pot hole) than I've had at Derby.

Experience, as with any launch regardless of condition is the key!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: sunday is the day Reply with quote

well sunday i hit the hous - we will be launching at derby at 8am in the morning! i have heard tales about the ramp! - BUT - in my bass tracker 16 i am sure i will be able to launch! when i set the boat up i had a spare trolling motor that i put on the back with the out board - the boat is light and not deep - it will be my first time out so i will not be chomping at the bit! - wish me luck i will file a report afterwords!

i have heard the fish have moved up a bit?
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fish have moved up. I havent had a hit near the park since New Years Eve! Crying or Very sad

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: