CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Atlantic Salmon and sea-run Browns Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klmt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Atlantic Salmon and sea-run Browns Reply with quote

Well I'm new to this forum but not to fishing. This winter I've been more and more interested in the atlantic salmon fishery here in CT, as well as the sea run browns and am looking to get out an try to catch my first one of each. Im looking to do it on the fly as well. Anyways, I am looking for advice on good locations, and if anybody knows about getting them on the fly, some fly tips would be much appreciated! I live down along the shoreline in a bit west from the mouth of the CT river if that helps at all. Also i realize there are a lot of us that are bit tight lipped on some of this advice so feel free to PM me if you don't want to spill the beans on your personal tips.. Laughing
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only tip is go with a spinning rod. Sea Runs are spooky...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDITED....

thanks to idiots like sea dog, i will continue to stay off the internet forever!

Last edited by TheFishingPolice on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
klmt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha yes I realize what I'm getting myself into with the sea runs. I understand that it is going to be a lot of long hours out there before I might catch one. I have a river that I know of that produces sea runs nearby that I plan to hit pretty hard over this whole next month. The information you provided though was exactly what I was looking for though so thanks.
As for the atlantic salmon...I really just want to catch a salmon. Its more of just me checking it off of my list of fish to catch really. I dont plan on getting into "serious" state stocked salmon fishing. Id just like to catch at least one on the fly.
klmt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if anyone has pictures of salmon or especially sea runs that they've caught i'd love to see some. Ill keep y'all updated with my success if I have any.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFishingPolice wrote:
Don't waste your time with the state's atlantic salmon. You will most likely be very disappointed after you finally catch one, unless you enjoy reeling in a wet beach towel....

sea run trout.....the day you hook one, go play the lotto, because that is your lucky day.

my year so far: sea run's 2, FishingPolice 0

almost forgot. the most important thing for sea run fishing is that before you go you must 1. know that you are going on a mission of complete and total waste of time. 2. Eat molasses cookies. 2 or more.

What's with the constant negative attitude in your posts and put downs ?

Not helping your image as a member willing to give positive advice on catching fish ..... even those that are a real challenge such as Sea Run Browns !

I myself enjoy fishing for fish that are difficult to catch just for the sheer joy of accomplishing such a task !

SeaDog1
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really see what got you upset there sea dog. I hooked one sea run all last winter and lost it as i was trying to land it. They are almost impossible to catch! TFP is right about what he said. Molasses cookies are filled with good luck and to attempt to catch a unicorn without eating them is just foolish.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with chasing tough fish. I've never caught one up here, but have caught loads down in the OBX. Whole different story. I've heard of them caught down in the lower Quinnipiac, but that was a very unsubstantiated report. If you're not into ice fishing, not much else to target, so why not give 'em a go? Good luck to you.

PS - Angry John (nice guy, don't be afraid of the name) may be able to give you more advice in the area just east of the CTR on both the salmon and weakfish. You can search him as he doesn't post as much on this site.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sea run browns are a better bet in a few rivers in Maine. Massachusetts sees significantly more than CT. Not a whole lot return from the sea via Long Island Sound, according to fish counts. Record was caught in the Saugy in 2007 so maybe try the Saugy?
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbojonez wrote:
sea run browns are a better bet in a few rivers in Maine. Massachusetts sees significantly more than CT. Not a whole lot return from the sea via Long Island Sound, according to fish counts. Record was caught in the Saugy in 2007 so maybe try the Saugy?

I thought the record still holds from the Housy in Shelton?
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2696&Q=322678
TheFishingPolice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for SeaDog AKA "let me PM you and tell you how to act on the internet"
to put up a picture of one of his sea run browns he has caught....Laughing

mr. expert on everything should have an album full of them by now! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

here you go buddy, I'll put up a fish from this year: 17" fish fly rod caught and quickly released. caught in the salt... photo sucks cause it was 7 am, hardly light and raining.

i caught another one yesterday morning but I forget my phone in the car. i owe myself 4 tickets for failure to produce proper evidence of a claimed catch...

edit... im stilling waiting for seadog to post a photo of a sea run from CT. sorry guy patagonia fish don't count.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Pic = No Fish ! Go directly to jail !!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice fish!, What was the fly that you got him on? Ive been out ice fishing everyday. Gotta take advantage of it while its here, but ill be out soon with the fly rod.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he told me what fly . I think it was a Jenkins Muddly Wubbler or something
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: