CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Gave it a Shot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Gave it a Shot Reply with quote

Decided to head down to Beardsley Park Friday to give it a shot and also check on ice and try sitting on a folding portable seat I got for Christmas.

Got to the old cement wall facing the Pequonnock around 2pm and let a worm sit on the bottom. Gave it about 10 minutes before reeling it in to check and see if anything bit the bait but never saw any damage. Did that again another 3 times but never had a hit and never saw any damage done to the worm.

Went over to the point facing the pipe coming from the Connector which is where the Pequonnock feeds into Bunnells. Casted with a worm into the underwater current area but never had a hit and saw any damage done to the bait.

Later I headed upriver and tried throwing a firetiger Husky Jerk HJ-6. Used the same method that caught me the crappie at Twin Brooks but never had any flashes, followers, or hits.

After taking a look at the water level by the ballfields I headed down to the Wonderland of Ice. Hit 2 usual spots and tried throwing the HJ-6 and a brown trout Jointed J-5 but no luck.

Last stop was Glenwood Park at the Chopsey Hill Rd tunnel. Threw a worm under there but never had any hits and no damage was done to the bait.

Hit the road around 4pm.

No ice was seen anywhere on Bunnells Pond and upriver on the Pequonnock. The small marshy pond on the side of the road had very skim ice over it.

As for the portable seat, when I took it out of the pouch for the first time and unfolded it, I noticed it was the size for a young kid 10 years and younger. Frame was made out of a cheep aluminum material. While sitting on it I thought I was gonna land a$$ first on the ground. Typical present from my clumsy grandmother.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude dont hate on grandma's gifts ! Mine is clumsy too ! She fell into the recycling bin the other day and looked like a ninja turtle on her back ! Love you grandma !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
dude dont hate on grandma's gifts ! Mine is clumsy too ! She fell into the recycling bin the other day and looked like a ninja turtle on her back ! Love you grandma !

Laughing Laughing
fishingkid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have brought the chair to fish with so you had something to sit on Cool
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, don't be mean to grandma, hell she probably still puts in more hours at work then you and had to get up early to get that present for you.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Last edited by fishfinder on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
fivestring

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be glad if any of my grandparents were still around. Remember, it's the thought that counts.

Crest, the ninja turtle comparison was funny.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fivestring wrote:
Remember, it's the thought that counts.

Yeap, that's usually true, but sometimes the thought isn't good.

My mother-in-law treats gift giving as a form of warfare. When I told my wife to give her cousin $250 for his wedding, my mother-in-law said, "Why should you do that? His mother gave you a $40 present for your wedding.' Just so you know, I had been married for almost 20 years when my wife's cousin got married. Shocked

I think that gift giving should be gracious. In other words, you should give gifts without an expectation of anything in return. You have to be an extremely ungracious person to think like my mother-in-law. At the very least, she expects effusive "thank-yous" when she gives a gift. That's why I always tell her to not give me any gifts. At all. The one exception I have is for gifts that rhyme with "BMW convertible." Laughing Despite my request, she continues to give gifts to me, even though I don't want them from her.

When I give a gift, I hope that it's something the person would appreciate. But if they didn't appreciate it, I wouldn't want them to lie and say that they did. I'd rather hear the truth. I wouldn't presume to think I know better than they what they should like. And if they wanted to return it to the store or even throw it away, that would be up to them.

I actually have a second reason to not want any gifts from my mother-in-law. A couple of years ago, she gave me a really nice Le Creuset grill pan and panini press. Unfortunately, I had made the mistake of commenting aloud that I liked them when were were at a mall once. However, the story that came with them horrified me. She told me that the cashier at the Williams-Sonoma store where she bought them was a kid who appeared to be a seasonal worker. He mistakenly thought that the panini press came with the grill pan as part of a set and didn't charge her for it. Rather than tell the kid that he failed to charge her for the $90 panini press, she knowingly took it without paying for it. Confused Yeap, she gave me a stolen gift. Yipee! Rolling Eyes I tried to return the panini press to Williams-Sonoma, but since I didn't know from which store she stole it, the Williams-Sonoma representative thanked me for trying to return it, but said to just keep it as a gift from the store. To this day, I still haven't been able to bring myself to use it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry guys. I've always loved my grandmother no matter what. I am lucky to still have her. It is nice that she still thinks of getting gifts for everyone.

Her way of doing gifts is instead of asking what her sons and grandchildren want, she just looks in her cheep catalogs and thinks it might be something they'd like, such as something called the Fishing Rod Pen combo from her The Paragon catalog. The reel that comes with it looks fake and is made out of brass aluminum.

My dad's side are the cheep skates while my mom's side are the ones who spoil with quality items or plenty of gift cards so they can leave the shopping to us.
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire up that panini right away! I have tried to do the "right thing" with big chain stores before and they usually don't know how to process honesty. The cash register does not have a button for that. Bean counters must have thought it not worth the expense to have a procedure for such anti social behavior.
At least it was a useful gift.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the report.
elm city matt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
fivestring wrote:
Remember, it's the thought that counts.

Yeap, that's usually true, but sometimes the thought isn't good.

My mother-in-law treats gift giving as a form of warfare. When I told my wife to give her cousin $250 for his wedding, my mother-in-law said,

BE CAREFUL mother-in-laws are like Beetlejuice talk about them to much and you'll find them living in your attic aka in law apt.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbojonez wrote:
thanks for the report.

Laughing Sorry to get off track, there. When I read your report, Michael, I wondered whether you've ever Carolina rigged a Floating or Suspending Rapala from the shore, to keep it down where the fish are sitting, right now. At the very least, I think I'd try putting a decent size split shot a couple of feet up the line from an SSR and drag it very, very slowly back to the shore.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
jimbojonez wrote:
thanks for the report.

Laughing Sorry to get off track, there. When I read your report, Michael, I wondered whether you've ever Carolina rigged a Floating or Suspending Rapala from the shore, to keep it down where the fish are sitting, right now. At the very least, I think I'd try putting a decent size split shot a couple of feet up the line from an SSR and drag it very, very slowly back to the shore.

I've never put any extra weight on a Rapala
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: