CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Haddam Meadows 12/12 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Connecticut River - Haddam Meadows 12/12 Reply with quote

I saw that we were finally going to get a break in the weather, so NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and I decided to fish the Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Plant Canal from Haddam Meadows. We knew that it would be cold, with the high temperature forecast to be only 40 degrees, but the wind was also forecast to blow at up to only six miles per hour. When I left my house to pick up Bob, I realized that I had forgotten to bring along my new Mr. Heater Portable Buddy propane heater. Mad After I picked him up, he kept pointing out all of the ice that he saw on our way down to Haddam Meadows. Rolling Eyes Yeap, it was cold! When we arrived at the ramp, the sun was shining and there was just a little bit of chop on the water. I checked the weather forecast one last time and found that it had changed. The high temperature was now forecast to be 41 degrees, but the wind was also now forecast to blow at up to eight miles per hour. Mad Don't you love meteorologists? Twisted Evil Normally, I attach a rope onto The Other Woman, Too, launch her into the river and pull her back to the ramp with the rope before we board her and take off. This time, however, I told Bob that he should get aboard, I would launch him into the river and then he could come back to the ramp to pick me up. After I launched him into the river and parked the Jeep, I saw him doing donuts in the river about 75 yards off of the ramp and noticed that the stern of the boat was sitting low in the water. Waaay too low! Shocked It was only then that I realized I had forgotten to put the plug in the bung hole. Embarassed I began running toward the ramp, waving my arms and yelling, "Come back to the ramp! Come back to the ramp!" Bob did a couple of more donuts before he finally heard me yell, "You're sinking!" He immediately hit the switch to turn on the bilge pump and gunned the motor back to the ramp. By the time the bow hit the ramp, water had started to bubble up through the drain in the floor. We ended up putting the boat back onto the trailer to drain her out. As a result, we didn't actually leave the ramp until about 9:30 am. High tide in East Haddam was at 10:27 am, so we fished both sides of the slack high tide. When we got into the mouth of the canal, we were alee of the wind. The water temperature was 38 degrees and the water was murky from the incoming tide. I began throwing a Pearl Silver 2-1/2 inch Gulp! Minnow on a 1/16 ounce fishhead jighead with my ultralight setup, while Bob rigged his setup. I saw a big swirl in the channel as a big fish rose up in the water behind Bob, so I threw the minnow jig at it. After I let the minnow jig fall almost to the bottom of the channel, I gave it a twitch and felt the rod load up as I pulled the slack out of the eight pound test line. I loosened my drag, but quickly worked the fish to the surface and Bob got it into the net:

It was a solid 22 inch, two pound, 11 ounce chain pickerel. It's strange; earlier this year, I caught northern pike, but not chain pickerel in the canal. Lately, though, I've been catching pickerel, but not pike. Confused Anyway, only eight minutes later, the minnow jig also got me a yellow perch:

Yeap, I had two fish in the boat before Bob had even finished rigging his setup. Cool We fished the laydowns near the mouth of the canal, but didn't get anything off of them. When we passed them, the wind rose a bit. It appeared to be blowing straight down the canal from the north-northwest, so we decided to head directly to the cove at the end of the canal. Unfortunately, there was very little relief from the wind in the cove. Confused Neither of us got a bite until almost two hours later, when Bob finally got a hit on a silver and black Rat-L-Trap, and boated a 21 inch chain pickerel:

We decided to work our way back down the canal with the outgoing tide. I alternated throwing the minnow jig, and a blue and white Strike King Redeye Shad, but mostly stuck with the minnow jig, because I wanted to catch a black crappie. I had to be home just after 3:00 pm, which meant that we had to get out of the canal around 2:00 pm, so I fished with a sense of urgency. Unfortunately, neither Bob nor I got as much as a nibble for the next 2-1/2 hours. Finally, at 2:15 pm, I got a hit on the minnow jig:

Crappie! Very Happy We left immediately after I boated the crappie and were off of the water by 2:45 pm. I'm glad we were able to end the day with a fish, especially after the way it started! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear no major boating issues! Specially at this time of year.

You didn't get skunked so that's always a good thing.

That pickerel issue is interesting tho, I never caught, or even saw one caught there or in the CT river until just a couple of years ago. Strange...

John.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pickerel and perch Phil!

A 2 pound 11 ounce chain pickerel on that setup must have been lots of fun!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close call! Hoping there is no ice tomorrow!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a solid 22 inch, two pound, 11 ounce chain pickerel. It's strange; earlier this year, I caught northern pike, but not chain pickerel in the canal. Lately, though, I've been catching pickerel, but not pike. Anyway, only eight minutes later, the minnow jig also got me a yellow perch:

Gotta go big with the pike! They don't eat often, and when they do, the big ones don't mess around. I'm using 10" live baits, 8"+ swim baits.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
Gotta go big with the pike! They don't eat often, and when they do, the big ones don't mess around. I'm using 10" live baits, 8"+ swim baits.

I went back to the canal the next day with TurtleKiss (aka Kira). I got the only hit of the day from a northern pike on a fairly big Stock Trout River2Sea Bottom Walker Shad, which is a soft plastic swimbait with a single big hook that sticks up where its dorsal fin would be. The pike gave several big tugs on the lure and I saw it as I pulled it away from the west bank. Just when I thought I had it hooked, it spit the lure. Sonofab*!@# Mad I can't wait to get back out there, again, soon. And, yes, I'll be dragging a Bottom Walker Shad over the bottom.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

I've forgotten to put the plug in before too. My bilge was pumping out water like crazy for a bit until I finally realized it! Did it once at highland lake last year, don't think it'll happen to me again lol. Good thing the ramp wasn't crowded, could have turned out to be a difficult day! Sweet fish!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
Hi Phil,

I've forgotten to put the plug in before too. My bilge was pumping out water like crazy for a bit until I finally realized it! Did it once at highland lake last year, don't think it'll happen to me again lol. Good thing the ramp wasn't crowded, could have turned out to be a difficult day! Sweet fish!

One of the first things I said to Bob was, "I'll never do THAT again!" Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Murphy's Law -> It will happen again ! Razz

Luckly I don't have a drain plug in my wooden Guide Boat !
Hand Bailer and Big Sponge is what I have to use ! Laughing

SeaDog1
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW,,Its been awhile,,Phil you bought a boat?? What did you get?,Thats AWESOME,,Twas the night before Xmas and the night was long,, I was so cold just sitting in my thong,,I made some hot cocoa to warm myself up,,then, thats when I heard a bump,, I sprung up to see what was the matter,,and then I realized it was my bladder,,I saw a mouse and grabbed my gun, my house is all shot up cause I couldnt hit him on the run,,OK, I will stop,,LOL,,Hey did I tell you guys I was abducted by aliens??
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
WOW,,Its been awhile,,Phil you bought a boat?? What did you get?,Thats AWESOME,,Twas the night before Xmas and the night was long,, I was so cold just sitting in my thong,,I made some hot cocoa to warm myself up,,then, thats when I heard a bump,, I sprung up to see what was the matter,,and then I realized it was my bladder,,I saw a mouse and grabbed my gun, my house is all shot up cause I couldnt hit him on the run,,OK, I will stop,,LOL,,Hey did I tell you guys I was abducted by aliens??

Hi flippy,

How are you ! Very Happy

Terrible tragedy in Newtown -> Still hard to belive it happened.

Here's a picture of Phil's new power boat -> Sweet rig !
He's getting a lot of use out of it -> Wonder if he'll go back to paddling ? Wink

Yeah ! We all know you where abducted by aliens -> What I think we all want to know is what you picked of the following ?

Take care,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
WOW,,Its been awhile,,Phil you bought a boat?? What did you get?,Thats AWESOME,,

Hey, Jim! I got a 2006 G3 Eagle 165 that fits in my garage. If you've put your boat up already and want to get out on a nice day, let me know when you're free.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya normaly it 1 of the things I do as part of any launch as I scan the boat im in for readiness .....You would think with all the experance both I and Phil have to miss such a simple thing ...guess Im just shy at checking another guys bung hole to see if its plugged Shocked Laughing
I was dragging the biggger baits all day hoping for a pike strike couldnt get anyones attention maybe next time ...hope its soon this years fishing .Lic. about to expire im not giveng up on a 50+ pike yet for this year

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud wrote:
im not giveng up on a 50+ pike yet for this year

A 50+?!?! Shocked Heck, I'm still hoping for a 40+. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man can dream cant I? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: