CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Farmington River?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaTP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Farmington River? Reply with quote

Anybody fish the Farmington lately? I'm looking to go Saturday and am torn whether to use flies or worms. Thanks!
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the regulations, depending on where you go, some areas are closed season right now, I believe
catch&release

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hitting the farmington saturday as well, it's all open but the upper part is catch and release and barbless. RT 177 down is 9' 5 fish limit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on fishing Church Pool. I was wondering if anybody has been there lately and had any luck.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catch&release wrote:
I'm hitting the farmington saturday as well, it's all open but the upper part is catch and release and barbless. RT 177 down is 9' 5 fish limit

That's correct until the last day in February. The LOWER FARMINGTON RIVER (i.e., from the Route 177 Bridge in Farmington to Rainbow Reservoir) closes from March 1 to the 3rd Saturday in April each year. Although the 2012 Connecticut Angler's Guide states that it closes all the way down to Rainbow Reservoir Dam, I confirmed with the DEEP that it just closes to where the river enters the reservoir. Here are the relevant sections from the 2012 Connecticut Angler's Guide:
Quote:
Unless otherwise indicated in the. . . Rivers & Streams listings:
Rivers & streams are open from 6:00 a.m. on the 3rd Saturday in April through the last day of February (Closed to all fishing from March 1st to 6:00 a.m. on the 3rd Saturday in April).

Quote:
LOWER FARMINGTON RIVER
Farmington to Windsor; From Route 177 bridge in Unionville Center downstream to Rainbow Reservoir Dam.

Trout: Daily creel limit—5, 9" Minimum length.

Since it's not "otherwise indicated", the LOWER FARMINGTON RIVER closes for a little over a month and a half each year.

Deciphering the regs isn't easy. I almost fished the LOWER FARMINGTON RIVER when it was closed last Spring. Embarassed

Last edited by PECo on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upper will fish all winter. Plan to start once the coves in the river freeze. Hopefully not until the New Year! Want to get some more pike. Have to learn how to fish 'em through ice. No interest in catching panfish.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
AlexF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catch&release, good luck saturday, be sure to let us know how you did. I might plan a few trips up there this winter. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: