CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Man Overboard in Housy Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Man Overboard in Housy Reply with quote

Please be careful!

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/fairfield_cty/man-falls-overboard-in-housatonic-river#.UMM2v28o52E

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya we tend to forget how deadly the water can be this time of year a simple slip and in for a dip can turn into a life or death matter when you factor in windchill and a 5-10 min ride back to a boat ramp.
Cabela sells realy nice drybags cheap. You can pack a towel ,set of dry sweats, blanket and hot packs into a realy small kit . You may never need it but when your fishing with the real young or not so young might come in handy .
For me its all part of my first aid kit ,bag is air tight never needs to be messed with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud wrote:
You may never need it but when your fishing with the real young or not so young might come in handy.

Or with Stephan. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lord has taken another soul to the big river in the sky! The gentleman passed this morning.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
The Lord has taken another soul to the big river in the sky! The gentleman passed this morning.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm still training myself to remember to hook myself up to the engine cutoff switch on my boat whenever I fire it up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and I met the guy on whose boat the man who drowned was fishing, yesterday. The guy told us that the man refused to wear a PFD while on the boat, even though he couldn't swim.

I haven't been wearing my PFD while on The Other Woman, Too, lately. I know that it's not required under the regulations (i.e., you just need to have them aboard, unless you're on a manually propelled boat from October 1 through May 31), but I'm going to start wearing my PFD all of the time and requiring my passengers to do the same.

Can you resist replying to this, Stephen? I bet not. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, shame for the loss of life. I do put on the kill switch harness when I'm out on water I don't know very well, which around here is everywhere Laughing .
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and I met the guy on whose boat the man who drowned was fishing, yesterday. The guy told us that the man refused to wear a PFD while on the boat, even though he couldn't swim.

I haven't been wearing my PFD while on The Other Woman, Too, lately. I know that it's not required under the regulations (i.e., you just need to have them aboard, unless you're on a manually propelled boat from October 1 through May 31), but I'm going to start wearing my PFD all of the time and requiring my passengers to do the same.

Can you resist replying to this, Stephen? I bet not. Laughing

Hi Phil,

NO! .... No need to -> You said it all very well ! Thumbs Up

SeaDog1
bass tracker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: River Reply with quote

Sorry to hear the terrible news, always have to be extra careful on the water no matter what time of year it is. I got a PFD that inflates when it hits the water, it's not to bulky and is pretty light. I also put the kill switch lanyard on my wrist whenever I am motoring fast or on water I am unsure of. I have forgot about it being on a couple of times and reached for something, have stopped the motor a bit quicker than I have wanted, really floods the back of the boat!
Everybody stay safe out there, double check everything.

BT
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saved my behind when I flipped the yak last March in 40deg water fishing Pond Brook Cove at Lilly! I wear mine all the time now. Auto inflatables are very comfortable and reliable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Saved my behind when I flipped the yak last March in 40deg water fishing Pond Brook Cove at Lilly! I wear mine all the time now. Auto inflatables are very comfortable and reliable.

Second that on the inflatables. I also recently purchased a Stearns jacket with built in flotation. Not going to be sneaking up on any fish! BE SAFE GUYS!

Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was funny! When I went over I was about 5/6' deep looking at the silhouette of my work boots against a bluebird sky against the water surface (Fish Eye View) thinking how peaceful it was. Then it dawned on me I was under water searching for the pull string on the AI when it activated and shot me outa the water.

That photo was actually taken from my HatCam Camera. I had my GoPro set to auto shot. It was still taking pictures after I went in. When I came up the camera was right in front of me.

I gotta say, with the water temps and my layered clothing I would have struggled to survive that one. The cold didn't really set in until I got out of the water and back on the yak.

I didn't realize how serious it was until I rowed back to the truck/launch and struggled to move.

Fortunately I had my trusty Cabellas Dry Bag with dry clothes. Stripped down butt a@# naked and changed right in the middle of the launch area. My lips were purple! Shock was probably the only thing that kept me thinking straight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stop by Cabela's to pick up a couple of those inflatable PFDs, tomorrow. Thanks for the endorsement. Very Happy

Oh, and now that I've trained myself to hook myself up to my outboard motor's cutoff switch when I fire her up (I LOVE the D-rings on my Cabela's Guidewear parka and bibs Thumbs Up), I've started training myself to unhook myself after I shut her down. Rolling Eyes I accidentally pull the switch almost every time, now. Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time when I had the Porta Boat and the 6HP Merc still in the break in period I pulled the kill chord by accident. Took me an hour, a strained shoulder to figure out why it wouldn't start.

Did a lot of apologizing to the Almighty that night! I believe I developed a third language that day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Check to see that the inflatable PFD you aquire is "USCG approved" and if need be -> Add whistel and flashing light to it.

I have 2 Mustang vests in my boat (for warm Wx) and a coat (for colder Wx).

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: