CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Salmon River 11/18
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Connecticut River - Salmon River 11/18 Reply with quote

I know that I'm in a rut regarding where I've been fishing, lately, but when rmflint (aka Ryan) and I were deciding where to fish, today, everything pointed to the Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Plant Canal. First, the weather forecast was for sunny skies, air temperatures in the 40s and north-northeast winds up to six miles per hour from which the canal would provide good shelter. Second, Ryan had never fished the Connecticut River. And third, he had never caught a northern pike. Wink We met at the Salmon River Boat Launch at 9:00 am. Low tide was at 10:33 am and high tide was at 4:19 pm. As we prepared to launch The Other Woman, Too, mep21 (aka Mark) showed up with his kayak, Yeap, I think that he's hardcore, too. And since he's workin' a Movember 'stache, he even looks hardcore. Laughing Right before I backed the boat and trailer into the water, DCAJ (aka Dave) showed up with his six horsepower Polar Kraft aluminum can. He said he had a feeling that I'd be there, today. We all launched at the ramp and headed up to the canal. Ryan and I got there first, and started fishing the big laydowns just inside the mouth of the canal. The water temperature was 41 degrees and the water was murky, but the surface of the water was calm because we were sheltered from the wind. I started by throwing a Perch Rapala JSR07. Neither Ryan nor I got anything as we worked our way up the canal. When we reached a section that was less sheltered from the wind, we decided to motor all the way up to the cove at the end. We anchored for a while, but I had to pull the anchor up when I snagged and then lost my Perch JSR07 near the bottom on the Bermuda Triangle snag that has also taken a Perch JSR07 from NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and a spinnerbait from TurtleKiss (aka Kira). Rather than tie something else on by braid setup right away, I grabbed my fluoro setup and began throwing a Pearl White three inch Berkley Powerbait Minnow on a 1/8 ounce round jighead. Meanwhile, Ryan was throwing a bunch of different things from his tacklebag and had the same spectacular lack of success as I. Eventually, Mark paddled up and began fishing the area in front of the power lines. He hooked a two pound largemouth bass with a big Mepps Dressed Aglia inline spinnerbait, but lost it at his kayak. Just a short while later, however, he hooked into a decent fish that flashed gold in the sunlight when it first broke the water. I immediately said, "That's a bowfin!", and began motoring toward him. When we got close, I netted it and handed it over to him:

By the way, Bob, the bowfin wasn't slimy or smelly or disgusting in any way. Rolling Eyes It was an absolutely beautiful fish. About 10 minutes later, I finally boated a black crappie with my minnow jig:

I didn't have time to admire my majestic catch before I noticed that Dave was fighting a decent fish a little way down the canal from us. He seemed to be taking a long time to boat it, so I figured that it was a big fish and motored down to him. When we got close, we saw that it was a fat 20-1/2 inch, five pound largemouth bass:

He had hooked her with a lipless crankbait. Sweet fish, Dave! Very Happy After Dave released her, and Ryan and I motored back up the canal, I pointed out to Ryan that he was the only one of us who hadn't caught a fish. I also reminded him that I was counting on him to prove that the back deck of The Other Woman, Too isn't broken and that fish can be caught from back there. Well, I'm glad to say that Ryan came through:

His first northern pike was 27 inches long and was caught on a golden shiner colored lipless crankbait. Way to go, Ryan! Very Happy The bite slowed in the cove, so we all began working our way back down the canal. As we did so, Mark spotted Steve's little friend, the American mink, on the shore:

The bite never really picked up, although I caught a few more black crappie:

Just before 3:00 pm, Mark texted me that he was heading back to the ramp, but only after he had caught a couple of 14 to 15 inch largemouth bass off of laydowns with a lipless crankbait on his way out of the canal:

Nice fish, Fu Manchu! Laughing My minnow jig ended up getting bit off by a small, 20 inch or so, northern pike when I accidentally tightened my drag, rather than loosening it. Confused Our last fish of the day was the first chain pickerel that I had ever seen in the canal:

It hit a weird silver Sebile crankbait I picked up a while ago that has a single treble hook and a spinning blade tail. After the sun dropped below the treeline to the west, we headed out of the canal and narrowly beat Dave back to the ramp. After he caught his lunker largemouth bass, I think that he caught a yellow perch, a two pound largemouth bass and a black crappie. Now that Ryan has taken the skunk off of the back of my boat, I can't wait to get back out on the water, again.

Last edited by PECo on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
rmflint

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a great day Phil and thanks for getting me on my first Pike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your first pike Ryan!

Nice pig Dave!

Any size to the pick Phil? 2+ pounds?
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Any size to the pick Phil? 2+ pounds?

No, it wasn't even big enough to measure. After watching Mark catch a beautiful bowfin, Dave catch a five pound fatty largemouth bass and Ryan catch a 27 inch northern pike, all of my fish seemed a little bit anticlimactic, if you know what I mean. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice meeting up with you guys yesterday and congrats on the first pike Ryan! While it was a bit chilly to start and the paddle up to the canal was in the wind and brutally cold, I was happy to get out. Plus the stache kept me nice and warm Very Happy Once in the canal, the cold wasn't a problem at all.

I've always heard people post about the fight that Bowfin give and luckily this guy did no disappoint! I finished off the day at the mouth of the canal. I caught my last fish of the day (a 14 in largemouth) ripping a lipless crank through the weed line.

Here is hoping that there is one more day out there before winter! I'm not ready for hard water yet.

Sorry, but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least plug Movember a bit here as this is a cause I very much believe in. For those of you who are unfamiliar, Movember is a month long event during which men grow moustaches to raise vital awareness and funds for men's health issues, specifically prostate and testicular cancer initiatives.

Some facts for you:.1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point during their lives.The best thing you can do is see your doctor regularly for an annual physical as If detected and treated early, prostate cancer has a 95 percent success rate.

If you would like to donate to research around men's health issues, you can do so at the link below, but I'll be happy if just a few of you read to this point because it means I've raised at least a little bit of awreness for an issue that will most likely affect all of us throughout our lives in one way or another.
http://mobro.co/4123261]
bass tracker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: CT River Reply with quote

Nice job guys, some good looking fish for late in the year. Good to hear you got the back of your boat fixed Phil!

I may be heading out there the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving if anyone wants to meet up.

BT
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job all
wouldnt be so cold if it wasnt for the dam wind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish guys. I'd hoped to get out there Sunday, but am laid up with kidney stones. Man, these things F'ing hurt. Was in the ER last Thursday. My wife came by after work to tell me to quite my whining, it wasn't like I was giving birth! Been sitting around the house doped up on percs. Hoping I'll be able to fish the river Black Friday.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sebile lure is a tailspinner, used for catching suspended bass on bait schools, cast it out and count it down to the depth of the fish/bait. -Dan p.s. Hey Phil, that boat needs some side-imaging and GPS Wink
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get well soon and hope things go well RNA
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice bunch of fish! good to see a bowfin! i haven't been on here or been fishing in weeks these river and salt reports have inspired me to pull the tarp off the boat. thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: