CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Stub Pond 09/05
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Stub Pond 09/05 Reply with quote

I saw a break in the weather in the forecast, so I decided to do a little bit of shore fishing. I drove to Nod Brook WMA at noon and decided to fish the north end of the lower (i.e., north) pond. I had to slog through a lot of wet brush to get to the soggy west shore. I threw a Watermelon Red Zoom Horny Toad over the thick, pond scum covered weeds, across the channel and toward the shallow island. I didn't get any hits. Not a single one. Confused I slogged back through the wet brush, over the spillway that flows into the Farmington River and around to the east shore. Once again, I got nothing. Confused After muttering to myself a bit, "This is why I hate shore fishing!", I got out of there. However, I couldn't stomach the skunk so I stopped at Stub Pond on the way home.

After I got to Stub Pond, I started throwing the Horny Toad, but got only a couple of small hits on it. When it finally wore out, I dug into a bag of used soft plastic lures that I had brought with me. It had a Green Tree Frog Stanley Ribbit, a black five inch Senko and a Bullfrog Zoom Horny Toad. The Horny Toad was too beat up to use, so I rigged up the Ribbit. Once again, I got only a couple of small hits on it. When I got to the spillway dam, I decided to rip the Ribbit in half lengthwise and use each half like a swimbait:

Surprisingly enough, the improvised lure did the trick. It wasn't long before three small largemouth bass had picked it up off of the bottom:

I wandered back from the dam to the middle of the shore and decided to Texas rig the black Senko. After all, the little largemouth bass were picking up the "swimbait" off of the bottom. It took only a few casts to get a solid two pound largemouth bass Shocked It had swallowed the hook and I really didn't notice how badly it was bleeding until I saw the photo :

I LOVE Senkos! Very Happy On the very next cast, I got another solid largemouth bass that probably weighed 2-1/2 pounds Cool :

Recently, I hadn't been able to get a decent (i.e., 2-1/2+ pound) largemouth bass at Stillwater Pond, Winchester Lake, Batterson Park Pond or the lower pond at Nod Brook WMA, but Stub Pond gave one up to me. Go figure! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at you styling it up on the shoreline all ya need is a palm hat and a umbrella drink Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad outing!
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud wrote:
look at you styling it up on the shoreline all ya need is a palm hat and a umbrella drink Laughing

LOLOL!!!! With that hat and shirt you should be somewhere like Myrtle Beach, South Beach, Hawaii, or Redondo Beach!

Nice fishing Phil!
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Phil.
chud059

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to fish that pond all the time after work when I worked in Avon back in '09 and I never caught anything! It was always muddy, weedy, slimy and kind of stinky! Nice fish anyway!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chud059 wrote:
I used to fish that pond all the time after work when I worked in Avon back in '09 and I never caught anything! It was always muddy, weedy, slimy and kind of stinky!

They drained it almost dry a couple of years ago when they did some work on the spillway dam. I couldn't believe that largemouth bass were in there when I first fished it last year (i.e., 07/14/2011) and I really couldn't believe how big they are, especially since the pond is just a retention pond with a small creek flowing into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: