CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: McD 8/29 sorry posted wrong date 1st time Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: McD 8/29 sorry posted wrong date 1st time Reply with quote

Hit lake Lake McDonough with Peco (Phil) Wensday rolled up on the gate about 5 min. before they cracked the lock 10 minutes later we where on the water for a gloriously beautiful day weather wise weatherman perdicted light 5mph breezes so of course there where dam near white caps on the south end of the lake. So we decided to start bye hitting some lay-downs north end of the lake Phil boated the first fish of the day 1.5 lb bass on a drop shot I was in such a rush to hit the water I left my camera in the truck luckly Phil had his and im sure there will be picks to follow . We never left the north end of the lake the biteing flies where tearing me up so we made a run to the boat house they where kind enough to share some bug spray with us got the rules cleared up on entering the grass flats where the no boats marker is and off we went. no idea the total number of fish boated but there was a pile of them (not many where mine) just couldnt set a hook to save my life but there where tons of bites we had red tail hawks , ospreys .and even a bald eagle to set the mood . Thanks to Phil for another GREAT DAY of fishin allways enjoy the company.

Last edited by NWDarkcloud on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbassfishn wrote:
Quote:
Thanks fot the report! We'll be hitting it this weekend before they close for the season. I'm hoping we get some shallow fish as lately its been all deep bites for us. Mostly on deep cranks at that.

So what did they tell about the no motor boat bouy and the grass flats? I was told only if I paddle my 17 footer(ahh no)

Behind the Island that beach with the no boats sign you can go through there if large motor is up on trolling motors. We caught a good amount of bass just wind drifting the large flats in about 9 feet of water almost every time we passed a weed line or deapth change there where hits. the no boats bouys are to keep ya 100 feet off the swim ropes just go through slow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you guys had a blast in the shallow area!
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bob said, we were the first boat on the water and the last one off of it. The sky was clear and the sun blazed all day, but the air temperature stayed in the low to mid 70s and a brisk wind blew for most of the day, so it never felt too hot. The water was clear down to at least eight feet and the water temperature held steady at 79 to 80 degrees. Since the wind blew mostly from the north and down the lake, we decided to stay on the north end. We started by heading into the channel that leads to the northwest cove and fishing some laydowns. At the first laydown, I began by throwing a drop shot with an Aaron's Magic patterned 4-1/2 inch Roboworm Straight Tail Worm and quickly got a hit from a tiny largemouth bass that I pulled completely out of the water before it went flying after finally letting go of the worm. The next little fish that "tug tug tugged" on the worm stole it right off of the hook. Confused Rather than put a new worm on, I tried slow rolling a white 9/16 ounce Strike King Redeye Special Spinnerbait past the laydown, but got only a small tug on the skirt. We moved on to the next laydown and as Bob worked it, I put another worm on my dropshot and threw it parallel to the shore in 12 feet of water. My line began moving away from me before I could even flip the bail on my spinning reel. I always get nervous when trying to boat a fish on any fishing line other than 50 pound PowerPro braid, so I took my time bringing the fish to the surface with the eight pound test P-Line Fluoroclear that I use for my drop shot setup. When I finally got the fish into the boat, I had to clear a bunch of nice green weeds off of it:

It had been a while since I had boated a largemouth bass over two pounds, so I was really disappointed when it turned out to be only 16 inches long and one pound, 15 ounces. We didn't get any more hits in the channel, so we decided to check out the cove in front of the dam wall on the north end of the lake. I was surprised that a "No Boats" buoy blocked off the last 50 yards of the cove; it wasn't there earlier this year. We let the wind drift us back toward the rental boats that were moored in front of the boat launch ramp, but didn't get any hits over the flats. It wasn't until we were fishing the shade underneath the rafts of rental boats that I noticed Bob was getting eaten alive by biting flies. Shocked I think that he was spending more time shooing flies than fishing. We talked about braving the winds on the south end of the lake to get away from the flies or heading back to the ramp and the boathouse to ask the MDC folks whether they could lend us some bug spray. After we decided to head in for the bug spray, I threw my drop shot next to a raft of rental boats and boated a short smallie:

While Bob sprayed himself down with bug spray and spoke with the MDC folks in the boathouse, I threw a Perch Rapala Jointed Shad Rap JSR5 past one of the floating docks next to the ramp and boated a couple of rock bass:

Bob found out from the MDC folks that the "No Boats" buoy in the channel in front of the northwest cove is intended to keep boats 100 feet away from the swimming area in front of the town beach and NOT out of the northwest cove. They told him that we could head into the northwest cove if we used only the trolling motor after we passed the buoy and raised the internal combustion outboard motor out of the water. So, of course, we headed straight for the northwest cove:

We went all the way to the north end of the cove where a creek flows into it. I spotted a bass in the shallow water that didn't want anything to do with the wacky rigged green pumpkin/red flake five inch Senko I threw at it, so Bob threw his weightless Texas rigged ribbontail worm at it and immediately got a hit from a smallmouth bass:

Meanwhile, I caught another rock bass with my drop shot in the mouth of the creek channel:

And my wacky Senko got picked up by a short largemouth bass in the creek channel, too:

After we got out of the creek channel and back into the cove, the wacky Senko got another little largemouth bass and another little smallmouth bass:

The northwest wind began pushing us back toward the entrance to the cove, so we began drifting worms over the flat bottom. Bob's weightless ribbontail worm got him another smallmouth bass:

I tied on a bullet weighted Texas rigged black seven inch ribbontail PowerBait Power Worm and soon set the hook on a largemouth bass:

The wacky Senko got another smallmouth bass:

But the Texas rigged Power Worm got a pair of chain pickerel:

Meanwhile, Bob missed hookset after hookset with his Texas rigged ribbontail worm, but finally managed to boat a largemouth bass with it:

It was the wacky Senko that got me the lunker two pound, two ounce largemouth bass:

Whoo hoo, I guess. Rolling Eyes Before we headed back to the boat launch ramp, the wacky Senko also got another rock bass, a couple of largemouth bass and a smallmouth bass:

We got back to the ramp at 7:30 pm on the dot:

While Bob went to get the trailer, I pulled out a Perch Rapala Shallow Shad Rap SSR7 and boated a couple of "just one more" rock bass:

By the time that we had our gear in the truck and the boat secured to the trailer, darkness had begun to fall. It's a shame that we weren't permitted to stay on the water past 7:30 pm, but I'm really glad that we got out there before the MDC closes the lake after Labor Day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report ! Peco you always do a good job!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job out there fellas!
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great day guys, how much is the boat rental there? If you know. They're closing soon also right?
SAP284

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

Is the Anglers Guide wrong? It says it's open to November 30th. The only reason I ask is because I was planning on taking an October trip there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
Hey Phil,

Is the Anglers Guide wrong? It says it's open to November 30th. The only reason I ask is because I was planning on taking an October trip there.

Shore fishing is permitted until November 30. Boating closes after Labor Day.
Quote:
Fishing by boat and from the shore is allowed from the third Saturday in April though Labor Day. Fishing from shore is also permitted through November 30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the boat rules and prices:

$6.00 per day - Power Boat Launch - 10 mph speed limit

$5.00 per day - Non-power boat launch (canoes, kayaks)

$5.00 per hour - Rowboat rentals. First hour paid up front; balance paid when boat is returned

Driver's license or state issued government identification necessary for boat rentals

4 people maximum in small boats; 5 people maximum in large boats

Use of personal motor on rental boats is not permitted

Everyone must have a life jacket. Children under 12 are required to wear their lifejackets at all times while in boats

Inflatable rowboats are not permitted unless they are Coast Guard approved with oarlocks

No swimming off boats

Swimming is only allowed in roped in, guard areas

No docking of private boats on rental dock

Boats must be out of the water by 7:30 PM regardless of whether it is privately owned or a rental

No jet skis, sail boarding, or stand up paddle boards allowed.

No fishing off docks

No alcoholic beverages are permitted. All motor vehicles and containers are subject to inspection for alcohol
I made a call to the boathouse they close after labor day but fishing is open from shore till Nov 30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hila2006 wrote:
Great day guys, how much is the boat rental there? If you know. They're closing soon also right?

Quote:
Boating: MDC rowboats are available for rent at the Lake McDonough Boathouse. Private boat, canoe and kayak launching is also allowed for a small fee. Motor boat speed is limited to 10 miles per hour.

$5.00 per hour - Rowboat rentals. First hour paid up front; balance paid when boat is returned

The 10 miles per hour speed limit was news to me. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya that and the no fishing from docks but luckly my boat only dose 14 tops lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will they boat launch be open on monday for the holiday?
I had really hoped to get there this season.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beleave so think its the last day

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud wrote:
ya that and the no fishing from docks.....

There was a couple fishing from the dock as we were heading in. She made a cast right behind my trailer as I was trying to load the boat. I just kept going, I figured she would get the hint. Boy, Did I get a dirty look!! Rolling Eyes

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: