CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson Park Pond 08/25
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Batterson Park Pond 08/25 Reply with quote

After reading today's post by damage inc (aka Soto) about trolling up a skunk at Ball Pond, I just had to try trolling for walleye at Batterson. I headed out this evening with the hope that I'd catch at least one fish. When I arrived at the boat launch ramp with The Other Woman, a red kayak and a small wooden sailboat were getting off of the water. I spoke with the kayaker, who had been fishing. He said that he had caught only a couple of one pound largemouth bass with a crankbait off of the east shore. When I launched just after 7:00 pm, the air temperature was 74 degrees and there was a light south wind. The water temperature was 79 degrees and it was murky. I headed up the west shore, along where the weedline had been earlier this year. To my surprise, there are fewer weeds than there were before. I trolled a Perch Rapala Jointed Shad Rap JSR05 and what I think is a Firetiger Rapala Flat Rap FLR10 that I found in a tree a while ago. Shortly before 8:00 pm, I got a hit on the JSR05 near the beach from what I knew was a walleye and reeled it up to the surface. Unfortunately, I tried to gill it when it was still green, and it was able to shake free of my hand and the lure. It was a nice fish, but I could see that it wasn't a keeper. It was probably 16 inches long. By this time, the air temperature had fallen to about 69 degrees and the south wind had risen to about seven miles per hour. 20 minutes later, I got another hit on the JSR05 and hauled the walleye directly onto The Other Woman:

It was slightly smaller than the first one. Before I could get the hook out of its lower lip, it managed to hook my PFD with two of the hooks on the other treble. Confused After I photographed and released it, I used my hemostat to tear the hooks out of the PFD and managed to embed a hook on the other treble into my thumb, past the barb. Sheisse! Shocked It's strange how easily fish can spit a barbed treble hook, but when one is in your thumb, it does NOT want to come out! In the end, I just clenched my teeth and ripped it out with the hemostat. Rolling Eyes Mission accomplished, I headed off of the water just after 8:30 pm. It felt great to get out there, even for just a little while.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean about the treble hooks Phil. Somehow they manage to hook my boat seats too and do not want to come out without ruining everything Mad

I've noticed at night lately the temps have been dropping a lot...finally.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air temperature had already fallen to 67 degrees when I got back to my car. But the water temperature held steady at 79 degrees during the hour and a half I was out there. If I hadn't hooked my thumb, I might have stayed out a little while longer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A walleye... in almost 80 degree water.. trolling... id never expect that but thats awesome that you got one!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, less weeds than earlier in the year? Maybe ill have to take a trip down there one night. I haven't gone lately because its hard to troll with so many weeds.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try to stay on the edge of the outside weedline. Earlier this year, the best depth was 8-1/2 feet. If I went any shallower than that, I'd foul up too often. Last night, there weren't any weeds along the west shore in most spots as shallow as 6-1/2 feet. I couldn't go shallower than 7-1/2 feet, because at 1-1/2 miles per hour, a JSR05 runs near that depth. Both of the walleye I hooked were in the area between the beach and the submerged island, but closer to the beach. I got one quick hit on the FLR10, but whatever it was didn't catch a hook. It's amazing what the right lure can do. I'd troll a Perch or Silver Rapala Shallow Shad Rap SSR7 closer to the shore the next time that I'm there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the west shore where your talking about but can never get away from the weeds. I've gotten all my walleye on the east shore.
x182dan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job phil, I have never caught a walleye before that is definitely on my to do list.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSR-5 and SRRS-5 have always been my prime walleye lures. Nice job Phil!
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Phil, sorry to hear about the treble hook Shocked Steves right, they hook everything but fish and sure don't come out. I get them hooked into the carpet on our boat all the damn time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: