CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Stillwater pond 8/22 with Jjay
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Stillwater pond 8/22 with Jjay Reply with quote

Wensdays looked like a great day weather wise so i got a call from Jjay(Jason) Tuesday night with the great Idea lets go fishin Very Happy had a great time at Stillwater couple days earlyer with The Dirtydawg10 (Derek) so off we went hit the water at around 5:30-6:00 in the morning I tied up the 2 winners that work a couple days earler white spinner and a wacky rigged yumdinger hopes ran high when a few minutes in we boated fish 1

little while after that we had a few more not big but fun fish all the same

traveled around from weed bank to weed bank taken hits pulling shortys 7-10 inch range at the rate of a couple a hour bye now it was 10:30-11:00 Jjays phone gave out with a jingle it was Peco (Phil) letting us know he had pulled a decent 1.5 pounder somewhere he was fishing cool he got out because I thought he was busy with family allday wondering what lake he was fishing we asked where he was the answer came back (looking at you) Shocked we looked far down the lake sure enough little white dot it was Phil and the other lady very cool! Cool unknow to us he had finish early and dropped me a call to head out my wife told him we had headed out and where we went .While phil worked his way up the shore in our direction we decided it was break time snaks and water time and soak up the view.

snaks over time to fish again by know Phil had reached our area and joined us rapping the weeds Jason and I discusted that the nicer fish had come from deeper water 8-15 foot range so we moved south for the deeper weeds

right idea little better fish deeper water and lot more shortys Jjay has his salamander beat up and brutalized from a day of shortys tearing at it tossed it out and bingo!

just shy of 4lb hell of a fight on his lite action rod nice fish! A hatch of termites falling from the trees hitting the water and small fish started poppin up everywhere Jason tied up a perch rapala hooked a small calico bass

caught somany of these he got tiered of reeling them in while I tied on a brush hog

by now 7ish the sun was getting low time to cut off and head out
At the end of it all 16 fish boated and 1 pleasant surprise couldnt ask for a better day !!! Very Happy

Thanks for the call Jjay and the extra company Phil GOOD TIMES

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have just missed you at the ramp got there a little after 7:00pm, saw all the little fish rising and was excited to see some activity in the water. Threw some top water for an hour while I let the days stresses fade away, the mosquitos chased me home lol, need to pack the bug spray next time. Smile

PB : 34" Northen Pike 13# Bantam Lake.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite the fishing machine that Bob and Jason are. Laughing I was on the water in The Other Woman from only 10:15 am to 7:15 pm. Wink I ended up boating 13 fish, but all of them were small. I caught a couple of largemouth bass with a green pumpkin/red flake Zoom Horny Toad:

A wacky rigged green pumpkin/red flake five inch Senko worked, too:

The most fun I had was when I got a hit on my first ever cast with a Hot Frog 3-1/4 inch Storm Rattlin' Chug Bug:

After I talked with Bob and Jason, I decided to head north as far as I could go, while they headed back down the pond. As I expected, the wacky Senko got a few tiny largemouth bass on the way up the shallow river channel:

But it also got my lunker, which was only a 15 inch, one pound, 15 ounce largemouth bass:

Here's where the Nepaug River flows into the pond on the north end:

The water was only a foot deep or less up there. Confused Anyway, I headed back all the way down the pond without getting a nibble, so I tied on my "catch anything" lure, which is a Pearl Silver 2-1/2 inch Gulp Minnow on a 1/16 ounce round jighead, just to catch a fish. It got me only a couple of little black crappie and a couple of sunnies, but they were definitely better than nothing:

Before I got off of the water, I had a good hit on the Chug Bug from a decent chain pickerel, but the pickerel somehow spit the treble hooks on the lure. I hate treble hooks! Mad In the end, however, the wacky Senko came through with my "just one more" largemouth bass:

The next time that I go to Stillwater Pond during the day, I plan to fish the bottom with a drop shot and jigs. Even though the water temperature was relatively cool and ranged from 74 to 78 degrees, I think that's the way to go right now. Oh, and although I love my White Sox cap, I'll wear my lucky fishing cap, too. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys summed up the whole trip - couldn't ask for better weather.
Those calico s were fun to catch - reeling them in on every other cast with a rapala perch pattern SR-7(maybe5?) - anyways had to stop after seeing some were getting double hooked in the eye. Too bad my phone died, i would of posted more pictures of calicos and that yellow perch i snagged.

Most of the fish were caught in 8 - 10 FOW off of weed banks and the bottom of humps. I also realized when the sun was obscured by the puffy clouds the bite was off.

I still get happy thoughts thinking about how fun the fight was with my lunker of the day lmb.

All in a all a great day with steady action.

Has anyone been using the trokar hooks? I find them to be extreemely sharp but they bend way too easy for me. Ah - i guess i can't complain when i got them for free.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job all 3 of you!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: