CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: West Hill Pond 08/13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: West Hill Pond 08/13 Reply with quote

I had to stop by Collinsville Canoe and Kayak to replace the Hobie heavy duty wheeled cart for The Other Woman, so I drove a little further up the road to West Hill Pond to pedal around for a while. I recently had to adjust the rudder system and replace the buckles on the adjustment straps for the seat, and I wanted to try them out. I pedaled slowly down the east shore from the ramp to the shallow cove about halfway down the pond and back from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm. It was warm, but not hot, and there was a cool north breeze as the sun slowly descended over the west shore. There were nice fluffy clouds in the sky to the south:

My fish finder showed that the surface water temperature was an amazingly cool 78.1 to 78.5 degrees the entire time I was on the water. The water was clear down to at least eight feet, but that was as deep as I could see in the slowly fading light. I trolled a Perch Rapala Jointed Shad Rap JSR05 down the shore and snag hooked a tiny largemouth bass somewhere along the way:

I didn't know that it was on the line until I stopped to throw a drop shot when my fish finder marked some fish in the area of some bait or plankton and I reeled it in. Poor little guy. Sorry! Rolling Eyes When I slowly made my way back up the shore to the ramp, I threw a big white 9/16 ounce double hammered copper willow blade spinnerbait toward the shore. Although I got a few tugs on it, I didn't get any bites. I saw a couple of kids in a boat in the center of the north end of the pond pulling up small largemouth bass with worms dropped onto the bottom. My rudder and seat both worked fine, so I'm all set to head out tomorrow. Very Happy

Last edited by PECo on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Haven't been up to WH in a few days.
Having brake lines repaired on my pick-up, so no towing of my boat!

78.1 to 78.5 water temp ! Shocked
Well WH does have a lot of springs, so the water will stay somewhat cooler.

Still, if it's that warm at WH -> You can immagine what it is at other lakes and ponds that don't have the depth to stratify.

Water retains heat for a long time so it's going to take quite some time for the water to cool down everywhere Exclamation

Right now I'd be looking for springs and very shady areas to fish, both day and night.
That's where the fish will be because cooler water holds more oxygen ! ....And they're in survival mode !

As for "Big Red Eyes" .... well you've got their location down pretty good ! Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was a nice day...not blazingly humid like it has been. I can't wait any longer for fall fishing!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, bite your tongue on the fall thing Laughing I'm so not a winter person, I don't mind ice fishing at all, just hate the weather that goes with it. Glad the yak system is working well, we gotta get out sometime.
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fall is by far the best time to fish for bass and pike IMO, awesome weather, awesome fishing! Cool -Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: