CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 06/27
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 06/27 Reply with quote

I was sitting on my butt watching baseball on television this afternoon, when JJay (aka Jason) sent me a text message that he was planning to fish Spring Pond. My lucky fishing hat had fallen apart in the wash and I just got a replacement hat, so I decided to join Jason to see whether it's lucky, too:

I loaded El Habañero onto my old Saab and headed down to the pond. When I arrived, the air was warm, but there was a slight north wind. I launched near the culvert in the middle of the west shore of the south cove at 6:00 pm, about 15 minutes after Jason. I saw that he was down in the southwest corner of the pond, so I paddled up the west shore before heading across to the south shore of the south island. I started by throwing a Crappie patterned 1/2 ounce Persuader Imaged Blade Spinnerbait and a wacky rigged green pumpkin/red flake five inch Senko. I soon tired of clearing slimy weeds off of the spinnerbait, so I swapped it out for a BladeDancer jighead baited with a six inch Creme worm. Jason paddled over and told me that he hadn't gotten any action, either. He headed to the north island and I headed up the east shore. The wind was still blowing pretty steadily, so I tied on a Perch Rapala Jointed Shad Rap JSR-07. I trolled it all the way up to the northeast corner of the pond, but didn't get anything other than weeds with it. I swapped it out for the wacky Senko, again, before heading across the north shore to the northwest corner of the pond. I didn't get any hits on either the Blade Dancer or the wacky Senko along the way. By this time, the wind had started to die down. I tied on a Bullfrog patterned Zoom Horny Toad and began throwing it over the heavy weeds in the shallows. I got a hit, waited a second and set the hook on a skinny one pound, 14 ounce largemouth bass:

Whoo hoo! Very Happy I sent a text message to Jason to let him know that I had finally caught a fish. After I reset the Horny Toad on the hook, I threw it out and got another hit. Once again, I waited just a second before setting the hook on a smaller, but more solid largemouth bass:

After I reset the Horny Toad, I threw it back out. Two casts later, I glanced over my shoulder and saw Jason paddling over. When I turned back toward the Horny Toad, I saw a big fish swirl up out of the weeds and hit it. My line loaded up right away, so I set the hook on my third largemouth bass in five casts:

It was a solid five pounds, 13 ounces, so I finally broke the five pound mark this year. Whoo hoo! Surprised Hopefully, Jason got a better photo of me with it. Less than 10 minutes later, I got another hit and boated a two pound, 14 ouncer;

And four minutes after that, I got a little one:

I had caught five largemouth bass with the Horny Toad over the shallow weeds in the northwest corner of the pond from 7:34 pm to 7:55 pm. Cool Jason lingered in the northwest corner while I slowly worked my way around the north island and back down to the culvert. I didn't get another hit after leaving the northwest corner of the pond. Jason caught up with me when I reached the culvert and we got off of the water at 9:00 pm. Thanks for getting my butt out of the house, Jason! I think that I've found my new lucky hat! Very Happy

Last edited by PECo on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the 5+ pounder Phil!
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice day out and congrats on the lunker. Great report as always. Your quite fancy in the hat. I'm sure they flock to you like cats on stinkbait.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fish is a tank! Shocked Great fish! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third and fourth fish were each really solid. The first, second and fifth were light, but especially the first. It must have taken a big dump right before I caught it. Laughing

Jason couldn't believe how much the lunker weighed. His first guess was 3-1/2 to four pounds! Rolling Eyes However, after I weighed it on my digital scale, he weighed it on his, and we each got five pounds, 14 ounces to five pounds, 13 ounces. I never round up on my weights and measures, so officially it was five pounds, 13 ounces.

I forgot to mention that the water in the pond was murky, with visibility down only a foot, if that. I'm thinking of fishing for black crappie the next time that I head down there. I didn't see any fish but largemouth bass, yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the 5lb13oz on my camera :

Congrats Phil!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet fish! Congrats!
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice fish!

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
slim2043

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Spring Pond is back!

Smile
Smile

Good job, Phil!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chunker! Gotta love when the sun starts setting and the water gets calm. It's my favorite time to fish.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jason!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the new replacement hat is a keeper Laughing . Nice 5 lber!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Yup ! Looks like the new hat has the right Karma ! Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Phil Im jealous, I havent got a NICE largemouth bass yet this year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: