CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Candlewood Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Candlewood Reply with quote

Ive been too lazy to report this but i went saturday to candlewood and fished at my favorite spot and got the occasional jumbo perch and had some nice 2lb smallmouth put up really nice fights!! I also snorkeled with my underwater camera and got some fearless sunnies and perch to visit me! As i was snorkeling my friend got a really nice 4lb smallmouth. Another great fight. I was able to snorkel to about 8ish feet and net him. Sadly my camera was in the boat at the time i was snorkling with a net so i wasnt able to film it Crying or Very sad . I also fly fished and got two 14'' perch and some sunfish. Overall it was a great day at candlewood like always. The perch and smaller bass were caught on minnows. The fly fishing fish were caught on prince nymphs. The 4lb bass was caught on a kailins green weenie (green and brown twister tail). And when i got home i got a surprise of baby fish in my smallest fish tank! Then on sunday my dad went out and i decided to stay home. He said he got a few smallmouth and perch hiding in weeds when he was using gulp minnows. Nothing too big. But something happened that day. MY ROD SNAPPED!!! My rod was in the car on the way home because we are planning to go to Winchester lake friday. My dog was in the back and she fell over on a turn and the tip of my rod got stuck in the sunroo and BAM it snapped Crying or Very sad . It was a Cabelas Magtouch 7', probably my favorite rod ive used. The warranty expired a year ago so now i have to buy another but im looking at a few different ones. Anyone use one of these rods? TFO Gary Loomis Signature Series Freshwater Spinning Rod, Abu Garcia Veritas Spinning Rod, Abu Garcia Vendetta Spinning Rod, Cabelas Prodigy, or Falcon Bucoo Spinning Rod. If you were to pick one which one would you get? They all seem really nice and has their pros and cons but i just cant decide.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $89.99, I'd get a 7'2" Shimano Clarus Spinning Rod (CSS72MHB).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Croix Mojo Bass 7' rod for $100. this thing is awesome, i tried out my friends and it felt great using soft plastics because of the sensitivity
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two St. Croix Mojo Bass spinning rods. Both are broken and sitting in my garage. Rolling Eyes I also have a third broken St. Croix spinning rod. Shimano rods have held up much better for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Abu Vendetta 7' spinning and it has performed very well. I mostly throw soft plastics and hunt for bass. I also liked the feel of the Falcon. You also can't go wrong with Shimano, They make some nice stuff. I personally own a couple of baitcasting outfits. My oldest is over 20 years old and has been thru heck. Still works great.

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
BigEd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Vendetta and paired it with an Orra S. Brought it home thinking it was an OK combo. Placed the reel on the pole and felt it, then compared it to my Mojo Bass with a Pfluerer President XT and my Abu Veritas with a Diawa Exceler THS. I never even spooled up the new rig and brought it back to Cabelas for exchange. The Vendetta felt very heavy compared to the other two set ups I had. And while I knew the Orra S wasn't the best when I bought it, compared to the smoothness of both other reels I didn't even bother. The Vendetta and Orra combo sure looked nice together but when compared to what I had I hated the way it felt. Next rod for me is going to be a Dobyns or a Shimano.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys! I stopped looking at the Abu's because of the reviews it had. They look really nice but they sound like they dont have enough backbone in them. My dad wants me to get the gary loomis but i prefer the longer handles after the reel just to make the casting much much better and easier. I wish i lived closer to a cabela's. I just cant wait for llbean to open up!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabela's is definetly a great place to compair combo's. An attendent will even pair sets up for you. Yes, it may cost a bit more than some other places, But the selection is much better than many other stores. Plus there is no match for hands on feel. Everyone has their own feel and its best to do your own hands on compairing.

The heavy feel can also be what I call tip heavy. The actual weight is compairable to other combo's. But because you feel the tip drop. It seems heavy. This can be cured with any combo by adding weights to the handle butt. This will get the balance feel and may actually make the combo feel lighter. Plus its better ergonomically for the fisherperson. Much less wrist strain.

I do agree with Ed on the Orra S and it's smoothness(or lack there of) stock. Something I cured with some bearing flushing. Most reels(yep even shimano) grease the bearings. I flush the grease and use light oil. I use grease only on the drive gears. I also grease my carbotex drags(other drags should be left dry) with cals drag grease. But I'm a nut and supertune all my reels. My Orra is now just as smooth as my son's Shimano Spirex. I'm happy with my combo mostly because the dent in my wallet was rather low compaired to others. I got mine for less than $150 out the door.

Keep us posted on your shopping adventure! Wink

PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get used to two handed casting with a split grip rod handle, it's hard to go back. Shimano's Crucial rods are much lighter than its Clarus rods, but also much more expensive, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimano does make really nice equipment but im sure the more you spend the longer it will last.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want backbone look at the Abu Veritas rods. I personally feel they are OVER rated in the weight category. I have a medium heavy rod and it fishes like most heavy rods do. Compared to my other m-h rods the Veritas is a beast. They are also quite light. I like mine but have limited use for it due to the fact I have been doing more finesse stuff and tossing plastics lately. It works nice with a deep diving (10-16') crankbait and I enjoyed it while fishing shallow for pike. Only complaint I have is I wish the reel seat was a little more comfortable, but they leave the rod blank exposed for better feel. After 10 casts you forget all about it though.

Oh BTW - I thought my Mojo Bass was a very nice rod and all I would want until I picked up a Dobyns at the local shop. After the Dobyns my Mojo feels like an Ugly Stik! I still like it but there are way more sensitive rods out there. The Crucial is also a very nice rod. Cabelas has the Crucials in stock and I know they have several Abu series there as well. Picking the right gear is really a matter of what YOU like.
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd wrote:
Picking the right gear is really a matter of what YOU like.

Very well said! I totally agree. Cool

colburn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get the same rod. In two weeks bring return your old rod as defective Smile
colburn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is a LL Bean opening?
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbury right next to dicks sporting goods. I went there today and it sucked. Its all clothing and there is barely any fishing stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: