CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Black Pond 6/23
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mase2020

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Black Pond 6/23 Reply with quote

Hit Black Pond today the one in Woodstock CT. Picked there base on one of the posts on here and after doing some research, it looked to be the best place to take my son for his second time on his kayak and first time fishing from it. Liked the fact that it was out of the way and the speed limit.

The lake, got there about 7:00 AM and the sun was just starting to poke through the clouds and there was still some fog on the lake and it was calm. There was no one else there and the parking lot has room for about ten to 15 vehicles, less if they have trailers. While we were unloading there was lots of small surface action. Found the lake to be clear with visibility about five to six feet. Not a lot a pads or reeds, but enough the start in the southeast part of the lake and continue around counter clockwise to the northwest side.

The bottom is rock and mud with not too much vegetation.

I started out with a SSR blue gill pattern near the launch and on my fourth cast caught 1 pound largemouth.

Played the little cove near the boat launch throwing both the SSR and a Skitter Pop top water and didn't get anything else. My son was throwing MY F-7 gold Rapala and lost two one just casting and the second one trolling.

Decided to troll to the center of the lake then head to the southwest area, as the sun was now high in the sky and that area was still in the shade. While trolling the SSR I had a huge strike that I was not able to set the hook on and missed it Crying or Very sad

Once in the southwest corner my son caught his first bass from a/his kayak, on the F-7 gold. It was small but hey it was his first.

Began fishing counter clock wise around the edge and while doing so two more small boats got on the water. On the northwest side I saw the largest snapping turtle under my yak about two and a half feet across. Also saw a ton of sunfish that were swimming in large schools and also three of these on shore either Fox or Coyote, but no more fish in that area.

Northern part of the lake caught a small perch on an F-7 bleeding Copper fish.

Also threw a Smoking Shad Fluke and drop shot for the first time, but nothing.

My son thew a spinner bait for a bit then switched back to a crank bait and and caught a small sun fish, no picture and he was too far away from me.

Started to head back to the launch and trolled the F-7 Gold and caught a short.

While we headed back to the launch the wind started to pick up out of the north, but nothing too bad, which was good no anchor yet. Got off the water at about 11:30 AM all in all a good day. Saw a guy in one of the boats catch a few as well.

I like the pond, but there is a YMCA camp on it and I have a feeling it may get busy during the summer with the camp in full swing.

SAP284

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report and nice day! I like the color on that bleeding copper lure. Might have to check those out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice father and son trip on the water
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report. Sounds like a nice day out. Congrats to sonny on his first yak fish!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What shape was the launch in I havent been there yet this year? ...Is that last photo from the launch looks like the edge of the dock from the camp on left cant tell from photo if it is looks like they smoothed it out nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud wrote:
What shape was the launch in I havent been there yet this year? ...Is that last photo from the launch looks like the edge of the dock from the camp on left cant tell from photo if it is looks like they smoothed it out nice.

You are correct the camp was on the left . The launch was in great shape, flat smooth looked like pea gravel which extended far into the water, the water was clean and clear as well.

Mase
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job with the son, learned everything i know and do from my dad.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya I worked at the camp as a counselor for 5 year in a row taught snokeling and fishing to the kids as well as many other waterfront activities this is a great piece of water most time its crystal clear fairly deep good hold over trout population and a suprizeing bass population as well theres allso got some monster crappies ....next time you go head straight for the camp just before the dock you hit first cabin 15-20 yards off shore there a under water spring there seems to atrack a lot of bait fish for some reasion i use to hang my trap there when i stayed at camp for bait. when I dove the spot snokeling we allways saw bass and trout holding on bottom near there give it a shot ive seen kids hook a couple of BIG bass there

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud, thanks for the info I will try it I liked the the area and the fact that it was off the beaten path. I think I'm going to start fishing some of the smaller lesser known ponds and lakes in my area that I see in the anglers guide. Some of the ones with unpaved ramps and such. I think it will be fun and interesting.
anointed130

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually fished that lake a few years ago think i caught some small perch, not sure if its still a YMCA camp, I stayed there with my church group, didn't see any YMCA workers but there was a bunch of adults running around in costumes playing with fake swords and stuff... forgot what it is called but they looked hilarious.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: