CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Squantz Pond 06/16 Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DD,

Yeah! Fog can be quite disorienting.
The worst time of the year for fog and heavy haze is the summer time.
Warmer air over colder water.

Years ago when I was in Edinborough, Scotland (summer) the fog was so thick and heavy, you could strech your arm out and not see your hand at all! Shocked
Thank goodness we had a compass.

GPS (I've been thru all versions) is very good till you loose power or a satellite.
Takes 3 GPS satellites to get a fix -> Loose 1 and not so good -> Loose 2 and your "SOL".

If we get a bad solar storm hitting the earth -> It's a far gone conclusion we'll loose all GPS world wide and most cell phone capabilities.
Yeap! Back to the good old fold out paper road maps! Laughing

Surprisingly I still have Mom and Dad's old wall rotory phone.
During last years power outage the digital phones died yet the rotory worked.
And I was going to sell it as an antique -> NO WAY NOW! Smile

Having a hand held compass stowed away on the yak is still a good idea!
No power needed to operate that! Laughing

SeaDog1
rvolkers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT CHOICE they should work just fine! - i picked up a few also along with some hot-n-tots -- then i saw these in a flyer that i got! - hey it seemed like a good deal at $6.99 AND it also seemed like it would kinda take some of the guess work out of the trolling for me!

(LOL) - i never knew they even were out there!

http://www.rapala.com/Trolls-To-Shad/Trolls%20To%20Shad,default,pd.html?start=4&q=trolls%20to%20shad

http://www.rapala.com/Trolls-To-Minnow/Trolls%20To%20Minnow,default,pd.html?start=1&q=trolls%20to%20shad
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a compass and thanks to Scouting I know how to use it. Even if you have a GPS a compass is a great backup just in case. I don't have a GPS for the yak though Very Happy
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DD,

Personally, I don't think you really need a GPS for the yak.
The waters here in Ct are small enough that using visible landmarks should be sufficient -> I use my compass and take bearings all the time and can get back to a particular spot within 15-20 ft.

I'm sure a fish finder is what you really can use Exclamation

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi DD,

Personally, I don't think you really need a GPS for the yak.
The waters here in Ct are small enough that using visible landmarks should be sufficient -> I use my compass and take bearings all the time and can get back to a particular spot within 15-20 ft.

I'm sure a fish finder is what you really can use Exclamation

SeaDog1

Agreed!
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthEastFisherman wrote:
I guess PM me so we dont clog up this report with a different topic!

Laughing Clog away! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out on Batterson Park Pond once in a white out fog with dead calm air. I pedaled The Othe Woman around in circles because there weren't any visible landmarks more than 20 feet from shore. I've also been on Batterson on a moonless night with dead calm air. Even though there are lights scattered around the pond, it's hard to tell where you are in relation to them. Now I use a Navionics app on my iPhone when I'm not sure where I am on the water. It works pretty well with my iPhone's GPS. However, it eats battery power too fast to keep it on all of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I was out on Batterson Park Pond once in a white out fog with dead calm air. I pedaled The Othe Woman around in circles because there weren't any visible landmarks more than 20 feet from shore. I've also been on Batterson on a moonless night with dead calm air. Even though there are lights scattered around the pond, it's hard to tell where you are in relation to them. Now I use a Navionics app on my iPhone when I'm not sure where I am on the water. It works pretty well with my iPhone's GPS. However, it eats battery power too fast to keep it on all of the time.

Hi Phil,

Get a hand held compass and have DD (if need be) show you how to use it! Thumbs Up
Like DD said -> Great back up, for safety reasons, and no power necessary! Smile

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: