CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Got hooked at the Ris tonight
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chud059

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Got hooked at the Ris tonight Reply with quote

Went to the Ris tonight... got there around 8pm and no one was there!! I started at the spill over and no luck... my wife was with me feeding the geese family....eventually went over to the bench between the spillway and cylindrical thingy and around 8:50 caught a pickerel...kind of fat.. Anyway, I had a real hard time getting hook out of its mouth....as I was getting the hook out of its mouth he shook hard and I got hooked in my right index finger...it was deep..below the barb...had a hard time trying to get it out... after 5 minutes my wife suggested going to the walkin or ER... really? I said... so I tried one more time, kind of wiggled the hook in my finger, and it finally slid out... not a lot of blood. I had just pinched the barbs in the previous lure I was using (rapala firetiger) and switched to the KVD 1.5 and didn't think of pinching the barb... it hurt for a second. I got home, cleaned it... sanitized it... and seem to be doing ok! Too bad I had to leave because the bite seems to start at 9pm lately there.
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chud!!.....the ER thanks you. I work at Middlesex Hosp shoreline ER in Essex. Sunday I did six fish hooks. Two of them were a grampa- grandson combo. Kid had an original rapala forward treble in his earlobe. Gramp tried to remove it and when sonny jerked, he buried the trailing hook in his thumb. Happy fathers day! When the barb goes in it leaves a small channel in the skin. Here's the best field technique for removing a hook if your not in the mood to push it all the way through. Needed in tackle box: flask of 80 proof, wire cutter, waxed dental ribbon and help if it's in your hand (you need two hands for this.) It's best if it is only buried less than 1/2 the curve of the hook. For treble, clip it off lure at the split ring, and trim off the other two barbs. Take gulp of 80 proof (I keep lidocaine in my box, but you cant get that at Cabelas.) Wrap the dental ribbon, or some braid, or heavy leader fluro several times around hook (or tie a clove hitch), slightly below center point of hook curve. Have enough of both ends to wrap a couple times around your hand. With free hand, hold hook eye and apply downward and forward pressure to get it to the frontmost part of the channel. Not a ton, but if it doesnt hurt, it's not enough. 1,2,3... and snap yank it in the direction it looks like it needs to go. Take care that this hook will come out at high velocity if someone is helping you or it may end up in them. If in hand have it well anchored on flat surface. Dont use this method for lips, ears, nose, nipples, ball sack or johnson, as they may remain on the hook. Fishing with your newly yanked off johnson may produce a bite, but it's really best used for other purposes. You will still need a tetanus booster if has been longer than 5 years, but you can get that at your primary MD within 72 hours. This is just a guideline if you want to keep on fishing and have the nads to do it. You're always welcome to have it cut out in the ER, for a small fee of about a muskie trip to Michigan, and you wont get pain meds for this, so you'll have to suck it up buttercup.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's funny... ear and thumb... I've never hooked myself that badly before... it came out ok.. put some stuff on it and it's fine.. a tiny little hole...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: