CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Squantz Pond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Squantz Pond Reply with quote

Made a trip yesterday to squantz. Got to the launch at about 630-7. Got the kayaks packed up and had my friend inflate his zodiak. While we were there a few guys fished along the shore. We were out on the water at about 730 and were setting up when a huge storm rolled by. It got extremely windy, started raining pretty badly, and got really dark. We waited it out for about 30 mins and got back out. I decided to troll a deep diver and couldnt get it to run for more than 5 minutes without it catching onto something. So i then switched to a silver rapala and trolled it up the cove and out across the beach. Midway i saw a trout surface near me so i started throwing flies and phoebes, No luck. I kept trolling and then stopped about 100 feet from a pontoon boat. As i was jigging i heard one guy on the boat tell the other guy that his rod fell in. I wouldve been pissed but this guy seemed fine with it... My buddy and i jigged until it got dark and then i decided to troll my silver rapala back across the beach and in toward the launch. Around the corner of the beach i got a hit. My drag was screaming for a little bit until i tightened it up and set the hook. I pulled in a walleye about 15 inches and continued to troll that point with no luck. My dad was trolling a black and silver minnow with a ribbon tail and got a brown trout and some little rock bass. My buddy was jigging on the beach and got a perch and some other little guys so i thought i should take a break from paddling and jig alittle. While i was jigging i pulled up a smallmouth on a white gitzit grub. The smallmouth was hopping all over the place and i lost him besides the boat. Id say he was about 16 inches and maybe 2lbs. We went back in once it turned 11. My plan today was to go to candlewood on my boat and maybe jig for some perch and smallmouth but the rain canceled that so im thinking another trip to squantz tonight if the rain holds up. If i do go hopefully ill have a better report than this one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by and far (only my opinion) is if you want to have a great time catch a bunch of fish AND DO IT IN A RELAXING SETTING the pond is the best!!!!!
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DID YOU LAUNCH IN THE AM or PM?
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got to the launch at 630-7pm and had to come back at like 730 then we went out and fished and came back in at 11pm. The trout was caught at 8. The walleye at 10. And the others between 8-10. I agree with you on that one i love going there even if you get nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live 10mins from lilli that is another great place - i went out last night at about 4 fished till 8 and did very well!
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In live very close to lilli as well. Do you live in newtown or brookfield?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in newtown! - i recently got a small bass boat LAST FALL and got a slip at the town marina! on zoar! I have been doing so well trailoring my boat i have not even been to zoar! -- i heard it is pretty good in the fall! -- and since i am closer to lilli i figure i would try to get out there and learn the place. i have been fishing it since april and while i FIRST was skeptical ALL it took was finding some decent spots and i have been VERY surprised about how good fishing is! VERY PEACEFULL AND FISHABLE! -- I LIKE THE PLACE a lot!
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think ill ever fish zoar again. Zoar is for all those wakeboarders and tubers. The only fish i knows in zoar thats worth going for are pike but its mostly small ones that are pickerel sized. I know lilli very well and would fish it at least 3 times per week when we didnt have a slip but now we have one at candlewood so i havent fished lilli in awhile but its a great place to relax at like squantz.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i heard that about zoar after i shelled out the money for a slip i will probably never use! - OH WELL - i am happy with the pond and lilli! - I KNOW THER ARE SOME GREAT FISH IN candlewood! - but again to much of a rat race for me and i would rather look AT TREES and the landscape and catch nothing then be on candlewood! -- we fish in Maine a lot we are thinking about moving there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: