CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Catfish tips?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Catfish tips? Reply with quote

I think im going tomorrow at a friends pond for some bass but i think there may be catfish in it and would rather get one of those because im getting bored of the bass. What are some good ways to catch catfish in smaller ponds (max 5 acres)? Im bringing nightcrawlers and we may buy shiners. Should we use something else like hotdogs, soap, stink baits? I just need some start off tips for medium sized catfish or bullheads. Any help would be appreciated THANKS!! Oh and the only background info i know is that there are perch, sunfish, catfish and/or bullheads, lmb, smb, and trout but the trout probably died. Its about 15 feet at its deepest point. Theres weeds, an island with rocks and sand in the middle, and random submerged pillars. Most of the bottom is a mud/sand substrate. I'll be fishing from shore too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything stinky, dead, or natural on the bottom works.

Big nightcrawlers on the bottom work very well. Dead shiners heavily salted are killers. Rotten raw shrimp works. Berkley Power Bait too. Meats such as sausage, hot dogs, ham, pepperoni, and salami are nice. Even chunks of a small panfish or a live or dead crayfish will work.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One specie you have to watch out for when bottom fishing with meats for catfish is snapping turtles.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I'll be using powerbait and nightcrawlers i think. I might post again if all goes well but itll probably be the usual 2lb bass.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have used the cat fish bait you can buy at wlmart COMES IN A BAG! - but must say that when i used to go with my uncles many years ago chicken livers were their bait of choice! and they caught some dandies -LOL- of course back then there were many farms and the livers were easy to come by! MEANING NOT EXPENSIVE! they used to cut them up and put them on a hook fished off the bottom as well - they worked pretty good for hornbout also!
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

start setting out your bait as the sun is going down and fish for a few hours. if there is a breeze you want to be casting against the wind. for bullheads you can stay put, to find catfish it is suggested that you move every hour or even every 20 minutes. bait shouldn't much matter in a body of water that size.
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like they have said....anything that stinks. Chicken livers on a treble hook are my favorite (cause thats how gramps did it.) They just fly off a standard hook when you chuck it. I also think beer is important when catfishing. It's one of the only species you can get a bite...get up out of your easychair....set the hook....fall face first into a tree....wake up 4 hours later....reel in the fish....and then have another beer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went there yesterday and started fishing first for bass. I couldnt keep the weeds off my line! I went all over the pond and couldnt find a spot to cast from. I wont be back there unless its late fall-early spring.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: SQ PND? Reply with quote

you were at SQ PND? - i have been fishing it in boat and there are some weedy areas but certainly FISHABLE and for the most part the west shore is weed free?

i actually have been doing great with the weeds throwing scum frogs!
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i was fishing a local pond. Squantz is always fishable even from shore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it!
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish i was at squantz!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: