CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Squantz Pond EYES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Squantz Pond EYES Reply with quote

we have fished Squantz Pond many times this year - have caught LOTS of fish and all different species EXCEPT WALLEYES - what the heck is the secret? I have been fishing my whole life and (LOL) have never had such a problem catching a fish!

PLEASE - I NEED HELP! (LOL) Sad
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The walleye there are eating huge alewifes and minnows. If you have a boat or kayak that goes on squantz at night you will notice little baby fish jumping for bugs, at first i thought it was a school of white perch but once i got closer i could see that they are alewifes. You can buy alewifes at candlewood bait and tackle its the first right once you get off exit 6. Its a nice little shop but i only go there for live bait. If you want to get a walleye on a retrieve i suggest maybe a rapala x-rap or deep diver, get either perch, silver minnow, or gold colors. Other colors may work but these are the colors i find to work for everything (bass, perch, walleye, trout). Recently ive been using nightcrawlers about 3 feet below a lighted bobber and ive been getting them but the bigger ones ive gotten were on minnows (i use minnows because they are more of a hardy fish). I did see a person off a huge dropoff fishing at night. 5 feet from shore it was about 10 feet deep but 10 feet from shore and it was about 40 feet deep. Maybe he knows something we dont or he is just trying a new spot? I was talking to a guy that just got in his truck from fishing from shore and he told me that he used to use 8 pound mono but he wasnt getting anything big (1-3 pounds) and the next night he went he used 6 pound mono and caught some walleye ranging from 4-8 pounds. One year when i went ice fishing i decided to take my underwater camera, auger, and a rod with some lures. I walked to spots where i would be fishing in the spring and used my underwater camera to check out the bottom and see if its sandy, rocky, or muddy. Id look for good cover for fish to hide in and id find spots where smaller fish would be in. One day when i was there we walked out to our spot and on the way we talked to people fishing and they said they were getting walleye after walleye so the next day we went back and drilled in there halfway frozen holes and used the camera. Where they were fishing was huge stumps with medium sized rocks and a sandy bottom, it was a perfect place for walleye and bass. When bringing the camera up to the hole to check other spots i saw a group of smallmouth watching my camera. Our tip ups were being mauled by bass. But since its the spring i suggest to do a little bit of everything. Have one pole with a minnow on bottom, one with a nightcrawler on bottom, one with a nightcrawler on bobber, and have one to cast different lures. The nightcrawler on bobber may even be taken by a trout! Squantz can be very frustrating especially in the fall and winter when water temps drop and fish activity decreases. So try any thing in your tackle box even those stupid lures that youve never used once. Maybe a few other guys on here could give some more info since i know there a few other people that get walleye constantly when they go out fishing. Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The walleye there are eating huge alewifes and minnows. If you have a boat or kayak that goes on squantz at night you will notice little baby fish jumping for bugs, at first i thought it was a school of white perch but once i got closer i could see that they are alewifes. You can buy alewifes at candlewood bait and tackle its the first right once you get off exit 6. Its a nice little shop but i only go there for live bait. If you want to get a walleye on a retrieve i suggest maybe a rapala x-rap or deep diver, get either perch, silver minnow, or gold colors. Other colors may work but these are the colors i find to work for everything (bass, perch, walleye, trout). Recently ive been using nightcrawlers about 3 feet below a lighted bobber and ive been getting them but the bigger ones ive gotten were on minnows (i use minnows because they are more of a hardy fish). I did see a person off a huge dropoff fishing at night. 5 feet from shore it was about 10 feet deep but 10 feet from shore and it was about 40 feet deep. Maybe he knows something we dont or he is just trying a new spot? I was talking to a guy that just got in his truck from fishing from shore and he told me that he used to use 8 pound mono but he wasnt getting anything big (1-3 pounds) and the next night he went he used 6 pound mono and caught some walleye ranging from 4-8 pounds. One year when i went ice fishing i decided to take my underwater camera, auger, and a rod with some lures. I walked to spots where i would be fishing in the spring and used my underwater camera to check out the bottom and see if its sandy, rocky, or muddy. Id look for good cover for fish to hide in and id find spots where smaller fish would be in. One day when i was there we walked out to our spot and on the way we talked to people fishing and they said they were getting walleye after walleye so the next day we went back and drilled in there halfway frozen holes and used the camera. Where they were fishing was huge stumps with medium sized rocks and a sandy bottom, it was a perfect place for walleye and bass. When bringing the camera up to the hole to check other spots i saw a group of smallmouth watching my camera. Our tip ups were being mauled by bass. But since its the spring i suggest to do a little bit of everything. Have one pole with a minnow on bottom, one with a nightcrawler on bottom, one with a nightcrawler on bobber, and have one to cast different lures. The nightcrawler on bobber may even be taken by a trout! Squantz can be very frustrating especially in the fall and winter when water temps drop and fish activity decreases. So try any thing in your tackle box even those stupid lures that youve never used once. Maybe a few other guys on here could give some more info since i know there a few other people that get walleye constantly when they go out fishing. Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh btw i was told that may and june are the best months for walleye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS for all the info! - we have been fishing the POND almost every week-end throwing MANY of the lures you suggested! we have been getting TONS of smallies and a nice amount of largies! The first couple of weeks of May we could not fight the trout away THEY HIT everything - including Floating repallas! I guess what i need to do is concentrate on the walleyes as you suggest! BUT (LOL) it is so damn hard to fish deep when we are getting so much action in the boat throwing shallow! -- again thanks! -- i will just keep cranking away and try some of the deep water TECHS! - THE POND is an assume place to fish ESPECIALLY the west side! clean air - water falls - lots of structure and you don't have to look at houses! (A REAL GET AWAY)!! --- and best of all you don't have to fear for your life like on candlewood!
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fish right around this time of the year you have a good possibility of getting a walleye because most of the trout have gone deep, the smallmouth are done spawning and are moving medium deep, and the largemouth are still spawning but they are mostly in the coves or the heavy cover. For some strange reason all the fish ive seen chasing my lures was on the east side or from the state park like the beach area. I havent seen much life on the west side which is strange because it should be the other way around. Another way to get past the bass is to troll a nightcrawler harness. Lindy and vicious sells them (im sure there are many more) and the only things ive gotten on them are trout and walleye. The bass dont seem interested probably because theyre feeding on baitfish not the shiny stuff. Just troll them a little bit deeper than where the fish are, id say about 6-12 feet when its getting darker (6-9pm). You can also add a split shot or worm weight about 3/4 your rod length up the line. This will keep the spinner close to bottom where the walleye normally feed but make sure you troll a bit faster so its not directly hitting the bottom. In march i read that hair jigs tipped with half a worm were getting the walleye.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fished for walleyes at Squantz for years and only caught one casting a Rapala shad colored . I've trolled a crawler harness all over the pond and caught EVERYTHING but a walleye over there. I catch a bunch at Lake Saltonstall & the Saugatuck Res., but Squantz & I don't get along too good.

Also when trolling, if you want to get your lures down deep, use Fireline, Power Pro, etc... lines with DEEP diving crankbaits 20' plus... got to go where the fish are.

JC

Last edited by JimiChanga on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
rvolkers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! (LOL) i love the pond - i think it is one of the best places to fish in CT IF you want peace and quiet and to catch a lot of different fish and SOME MONSTERS TO BOOT! -- i know you like the pond we have exchanged on the forum before about it! - it can be very frustrating at times BUT ALSO the BEST too! -- i guess that is why they call it fishing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: