CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Big 'Ol Crappie surprise
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Big 'Ol Crappie surprise Reply with quote

Today we were down at Zoar where I keep my boat. Weather was spotty and turned real bad fast after 3 with lightning and a quick downpour so we headed to the car to dry off. It cleared up after a half hour and I went to dry the boat and clean up. My daughter wanted to fish off the dock because she saw some sunfish. I had the trout pole in the car and a few trout magnets in a small case so I rigged it up with a yellow and orange one on a gold jig head and told her to cast by the dock. She landed a few nice bluegills and a couple of perch. I headed off to button up the canvas and then she holds up the pole and asks from down the dock "dad, what type of fish is this?" Dangling off the hook is at least a 12" crappie she got in about 5 feet of water jigging straight down from the dock. I couldn't believe it! This was a nice fish and bigger than a lot I have seen. I had her come over so I could take it off the hook, had her thumb it and we took a close look at it. All my years fishing and she catches a bigger one than me right from a dock! It made her day and now she is making fun of me. Gotta love those moments folks!
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to your daughter!
jomonkey527

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be tired this morning. I was looking for the "like" button. Great job by your daughter.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Big Ed's daughter Very Happy

I love catching fish with the kids!
rvolkers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is the fishing at lake zoar - i i have a slip ther that i haven't used yet! to busy trailoring the boat around to other spots!
BigEd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoar can be tough but there are some big fish in there. I am still trying to figure that place out. Of course trying to do that without a fishfinder and only using a hull mounted depth finder in a bowrider doesn't help...lol. I know a few places that produce ok and usually catch a few each trip. Of course there are always the coves and docks. Lots of deep water on the southern end, cooler shallower water up the northern end and many good weedlines. I would love to spend some time on there with someone who knows it better than I do.
rvolkers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I HAVE HEARD THHAT ABOUT zoar - as a resident of newtown i unfortunatly committed myself to a slip (ouch) $'s wasted! i recently got a small boat (in the fall) and (LOL) was totally freaked out about trailoring it and putting it in and out! NOW that i have been doing that (it is second nature to me) - AND i do not want to leave my boat at that slip and have to REMOVE everything every trip - NOR have to take my batteries out and bring home to charge when I FIND it just so easy to bring the boat home keep everything where i want it and charge the batteries right in the boat! PERHAPS i am being lazy - or just overly concerned! But i have a comfort zone! I am sure i will fish zoar at some point! -- but i have to say - lilli is a great spot and WE LOVE to fish at squantz pond! - HEY lets stay in touch i have a gps and electronics on my small boat maybe we could hook-up and LEARN TOGETHER!
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three cheers for BigEd's girl! Give him hell kid. Ed....dont forget the camera next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: