CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Quick Trip To Huntington
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Quick Trip To Huntington Reply with quote

Went to huntington after school with a friend. He had his little zodiak and i had my kayak. Fished for awhile and couldnt escape the sunnies and baby bass. Later on we fished some fallen trees in the water and my friend got a slam on his rod. He started screaming TROUT!TROUT!!! I paddled over beside his boat and didnt see a trout, instead i saw a 15 inch pickerel. He had no clue how to handle it and almost lipped it! I got it off his line and took some pics (sorry i dont know how to post them. After seeing that fish we descided to keep casting there for others. Soon after i got a big hit on my 2'' twister tail (black n chartruse) but i missed the hit so i twitched the lure a little and started winding slowly and right after that i got a second hit but this time i had something big on the end. This fish fought me for a good 10 minutes trying to escape into the logs and trees underwater. When he got closer i could see my twister tail hooked in the corner of the mouth of a 20'' pickerel. Once i saw that nice hook set i realized i could fight it like a normal fish. I got him in and took some pictures (I think the picture might be my profile pic). Overall it was nice getting out for a few hours. The fight was worth it (especially on 4 pound mono). I may be hitting squantz tomorrow but we will see. Sat and Sun ill be at Candlewood on my boat so get ready for some more posts!!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, I like fishing huntington a lot. I've found most of the trout hang out in the deeper area straight behind the island, right around where the small cement dock is on the west side of the lake. For bass there your best bet is around the fallen trees on the side of the island. I havent gotten a pickeral out of there yet.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really surprised when he pulled it into the boat. For the trout, do you mean the area near the rock lighthouse? In the spring we would see some jump in the middle to the left of the lighthouse (if youre looking from the long gravel road that has no trees near it, or straight out if youre looking from the painted map where the two bridges are). I never really got a nice bass out of this place but im on the search for one. Have you fished in the ponds connected to the main lake? They look like hot spots for pickerel or bass but im usually there for trout so i havent fished them.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on the pickerel! Can't wait to see a pic!
MikeOkay

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're at the bridges you gotta go all the way to the back of the islands by the treeless area, but to the right of it. There's a smooth rock slope that Ive gotten about 7 trout in one day fishing back off there from the shore, but the guy in the boat 30 yards past me was getting even more. For bass i've gotten two lb'rs out of the smaller pond right from the bridge, but both times it was sitting on a bed, and i think they're off them now. Last time i was there i got a 1-2 lb'r out of the trees fishing along the little channel that goes around the back of the island, and my buddy got a pickeral in the same area. That was the only time I've had a boat in there, and we didnt have much time. Hope that helps, im not the best with directions though
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome we should meet up some time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a hard place to describe but i know where youre talking about. I was drifting a nightcrawler in between there and didnt get anything so i moved to the channel and nothing but sunnies and then i moved back to the bridges and thats where we hit the pickerel. The rock slope area always has someone on it whether fishing or sunbathing. So i take a little hike through the woods til it opens up and take a few casts. Usually in the spring it doesnt matter where you are cause the trout are everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is that 20 inch pickerel. Not to sure on the weight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Pickerel..looks like he has some weight to him!

FYI - I know it's irrelevant now but just be careful, there's a law with wearing a PFD with a manual propelled vessel in May...

Quote:
During the period from October 1st through May 31st, all persons on board a manually propelled vessel shall wear a Type I, II, III or V, U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation device and no operator, or owner or user of a manually propelled vessel shall allow any person to be aboard who is not wearing such a device.

Just looking out, right now it's irrelevant because its June but I saw your original post was from May.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fyi, i do carry a pfd on the kayak but i wasnt wearing it at the time. Good thing i know now, id rather have a sore back than a big fine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: