CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Great Hollow Lake 5/20
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Great Hollow Lake 5/20 Reply with quote

My usual fishing buddy and I took his canoe out onto Great Hollow Sunday afternoon and fished it from about 4:30pm til 8pm. We were targeting crappie at our usual spots this time of year.

At our first stop with the anchor down, my buddy threw a worm on 1 rod and a 7cm shiner Original Floater on the other. I stuck with a 7cm firetiger Original Floater and also played around with a 4cm silver shad Jointed Shad Rap. Buddy got a brown while playing topwater with the Original Floater. The brown was 12". No bass or crappie were interested so we moved on.

Our next stop was our usual crappie area this time of the year. There seemed to be a cycle going with the fish hitting. We'd get into a bite for about 10 minutes and then the bite would turn off for another 10 or 15 minutes before turning on again.

Buddy hit 3 nice bows on the bottom with the worms. We both played topwater around the structure with the Original Floaters. I landed 3 crappie, 2 bluegills, 1 brown, 3 largemouths, and was rewarded with a solid 20" 3 pound pickerel. Buddy got 1 crappie, 1 bluegill, and 1 bass.

Buddy's crappie was the biggest being a nice 12.5" slab. 2 of my 3 were dinks. The bass had no size to them with the biggest being 10". Buddy's bluegill was a keeper just over 8". Biggest of buddy's rainbows was 12".

Here's a pic of the 20" 3 pound pickerel. Biggest one I've ever seen in person at Great Hollow Pond.

I could feel some extra fat in its belly, which probably meant that it was feeding on the smaller bluegills and crappie that we were catching. That pickerel ties my original PB from Twin Brooks Park, which was also a chubby 20" 3 pounder. But as you guys know, I hit that nice 3 1/2 pounder at Hamburg Cove.
BigEd

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass fishing has been fairly slow at GH for me this year Michael. Wacky rigged worms tossed into the tree cover (from a boat) has produced a few nice fish though, but nowhere like previous years results at this time of year. I find the cove by the bridge has been dead compared to last year. GH hasn't been much of a pickerel lake and yours is definitely the biggest I've seen from there. I still haven't pulled any crappie from there though...guess I need to keep trying since all I'm getting are blugills and smaller bass. On the plus side trout fishing has been decent there this spring.
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice healthy pickerel! A 12.5" crappie is a nice catch too. Sounds like a good day!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Pick Michael! Can't wait to catch my first one.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd wrote:
Bass fishing has been fairly slow at GH for me this year Michael. Wacky rigged worms tossed into the tree cover (from a boat) has produced a few nice fish though, but nowhere like previous years results at this time of year. I find the cove by the bridge has been dead compared to last year. GH hasn't been much of a pickerel lake and yours is definitely the biggest I've seen from there. I still haven't pulled any crappie from there though...guess I need to keep trying since all I'm getting are blugills and smaller bass. On the plus side trout fishing has been decent there this spring.

I'm surprised you say that about the bass Ed! Buddy and I usually hit the bass pretty well towards June in the cove and along the tree cover by the point leading to the cove.

I was also very surprised with the crappie bite compared to how well we've done this time of year. Buddy said we might have been a week early. We're heading back out this Friday for the crappie bite.

That pickerel was the biggest I've seen in person or in the water at Great Hollow. I have caught a few during the spring but not too many compared to Twin Brooks Park. The usuals I catch at Great Hollow are mostly 10 to 14".
SmOoTh OpErAtOr !!!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report dude keep up the good work

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI...after this weekend they will have someone at the gate checking for stickers.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd wrote:
Just an FYI...after this weekend they will have someone at the gate checking for stickers.

From Memorial Day til Labor Day they check you for stickers, but if you show the person your fishing license, then they automatically let you in even if you don't have a park pass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: