CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Burr Pond 05/19
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Burr Pond 05/19 Reply with quote

CT_bassman (aka Joe) told me that he planned to fish Burr Pond this morning, so I planned to join him. However, he planned to get there at 5:30 am. Shocked I told him that I'd be there, but a little bit later. Wink My in-laws dropped by unexpectedly, yesterday, and my father-in-law was already in the kitchen when I started to get ready to leave, so I invited him along. We had to renew his Connecticut non-resident fishing license before we left the house. I tried to do it on my iPhone, but the credit card payment wouldn't process. So, we had to break out a computer to process the renewal and print out his 2012 license. We didn't get to the boat launch ramp until 7:30 am and were on the water at 7:45 am. I pedaled The Other Woman (aka my Hobie Pro Angler) and my father-in-law paddled La Calabaza (aka my Future Beach Trophy 126). When we launched, the sky was clear and the air temperature was in the upper 50s. There was only a slight north wind blowing down the pond. The water was slightly murky, but we could see pretty clearly down to about four feet. the water temperature was 64 degrees. I set my father in law up with a wacky Senko and he began working his way down the west shore from the ramp. It wasn't long before he caught a small keeper largemouth bass:

Less than 15 minutes later, he got another:

Meanwhile, I got a few hits from dinky chain pickerel on a Texas rigged Strike King KVD Caffeine Shad, but was able to shake all of them off. It wasn't until 9:05 am that I finally boated a fish:

Rocky! Confused But less than five minutes later, the Shad got me a short largemouth bass:

Whoo hoo! Very Happy I caught another rock bass before heading across the pond to talk with Joe. He had gotten a few largemouth bass and chain pickerel. Joe continued along the shore well ahead of us, while my father-in-law and I headed underneath the power lines and into the southwest cove. But first, my father-in-law got another largemouth bass:

And then I got another short largemouth bass:

There's only one piece of wood sticking out of the water in the southwest cove. If you've been there, you know what I mean. I threw a wacky Senko at it and finally got a keeper largemouth bass:

Whoo hoo! Very Happy It followed my general rule of thumb for the size of largemouth bass in Connecticut, because it was 16 inches long and weighed exactly two pounds. A short while later, my father-in-law caught his first ever rock bass:

I guess that I can't catch all of them by myself! Laughing As I went around the cove, I noticed that the water temperature had risen to over 66 degrees. Shocked So I decided to try a small white spinnerbait. It wasn't long before I got a hit and boated a 15 inch, one pound, 15 ounce largemouth bass:

We headed toward the dam as the air temperature hit 80 degrees. The water temperature at the dam was 68.5 degrees! I finally spotted some largemouth bass sized beds, but they were all either empty or inhabited by sunnies. Although a couple of the largemouth bass that my father-in-law caught had bloody tails, none that I caught did. I'm pretty sure that the largemouth bass spawn is over in Burr Pond. We headed back to the ramp and were off of the water by 12:45 pm. Now, I have to figure out how to target post-spawn largemouth bass! Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 15" was only 1lb 15 ounces wow...I thought it might weigh a little more. Looked like it had a stomach on it from the picture on the check it stick.

Nice day for fishing that's for sure!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
That 15" was only 1lb 15 ounces wow...I thought it might weigh a little more. Looked like it had a stomach on it from the picture on the check it stick.

Nice day for fishing that's for sure!
i just thought the same thing!
PECo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they were depleted females. I wish I had gotten some close up photos of the males that my father-in-law caught.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report and pics
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER FUN DAY FOR YOU!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great day of fishing!
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice day on the water Phil, good your father in law had a really productive day to. It's true, you can't catch all the rockies Laughing
SmOoTh OpErAtOr !!!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report keep up the good work PECo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: