CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson 5/7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slim2043

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Batterson 5/7 Reply with quote

Killed two hours before work on Monday because my girlfriend suggested it was such a nice day and I should go fishing. Not gonna argue w that Wink

It was very sunny and pretty warm. I brought something to fish fast and something to fish slow and that was pretty much it. After 20 minutes I got a hit in shallow water that had some tree shade fishing the brush hog and that pattern held up the rest of the time I was out. Shallow and shady. I caught 5 and missed just as many because of how quick they would tap it on the fall and only a few actually swam w it to make Life easier for me lol. I think I had a 5 lber on but it ran right into the bow of the boat while I was trying to set the hook. He was faster than I was.

The tail of the tape
3 13" fish
1 15" fish
1 19" 4 lber

Too bad I couldn't stay all day but glad I got out. Not to mention a productive day at this place. Usually I'm catching Perch all day when I'm there.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're they on beds, Tim? The water temperature hung between 58 and 59 degrees from 12:00 pm to 4:30 pm, yesterday. I got a short largemouth when I trolled past a small laydown, but lost a three pounder near the riprap dam on the north side of the pond. I had just boated a yellow perch with a Yellow Perch Rapala SSR-7 and threw it out behind the boat. It floated there as I put the rod in my Scotty rod holder and took a second to adjust the holder. My rod bent over, and it was one of my old MH 6'6" Ugly Stiks! Shocked Right after I grabbed the rod out of the holder, the bass leaped into the air 25 feet behind the boat. I reeled it over to the side of the boat and saw that it had the lure's front treble hook in its mouth and the rear treble hook was in the side is its face. But it took one more shaking leap out of the water and, somehow, came free! Sonogab*!@# Twisted Evil I hate freakin' treble hooks!

Last edited by PECo on Fri May 11, 2012 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
hila2006

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Tim, good looking batch of largies.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
=I hate freakin' treble hooks!

Phil, I hate them too. You can add extra split rings so the fish will have less leverage to throw the hook.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
slim2043

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to mention that Phil. I have had my eyes peeled for beddig activity. I still have not seen any bedding. Not anywhere yet. Should be soon however. These fish were relating to tree shade more than anything. The sun was beating down. Just so happened most of the shade I found was shallow water. The water wasn't very clear so I could be mistaken about bedding but I really don't think they were getting into bed Smile no ripped up bellies or tails. They were all chunky but not ready to spawn just yet I guess.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report! That's a nice 19"er you got there!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report !! And nice fat fish u got there !!! Keep it up !!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim, like I had said in an earlier post, the only place I've seen active beds is Hitchcock Lake, I was out this past Sunday for a few hours and saw a butt load of beds. The males were holding beds, can't really tell males from females there cuz they're all about the same size bass(small) in there. But I yanked like 12 in a few hours so it was fun anyways. I'm surprised they haven't started everywhere by now with the short winter. 4 years ago we were at Congamond at the end of April and they were already done spawning, weird year so far I guess.
slim2043

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's this NE Wx. They've probably staged a few times and went back to deeper water because of the inconsistent weather. Looks like the carp kids found a nice bedding bass this week though so I'm assuming its going to be on.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they spawn on the full moon for the most part, so I think it'll be a couple more weeks for the new moon to get them going full blast. I actually don't know how true that is,but that's what I've read over the years.
slim2043

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah many experts believe solunar impact on fish spawning and feeding cycles is tremendous. Temperature I think is more important but I'm a security engineer not a biologist Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome fatties! Nice job!
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, I'm a QA manager not a biologist. It's soon no matter what.
rmflint

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at my normal pond yesterday. It its only about 8 ft at its deepest and I saw a few bass and perch beds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: