CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Mansfield Hollow - 5/5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Mansfield Hollow - 5/5 Reply with quote

Hit Mansfield from 9am-2pm today. It started to rain in spurts today, and was super cloudy. I really thought that it was supposed to be sunny but guess not. Water temp was in the upper 50's and air temp was about 60ish or so.

Threw several Rapalas today from 4"-5" and a red Strike King crankbait. I landed a bunch of panfish which was really annoying. A total of 7 Yellow Perch, 4 Sunfish, and a Pickerel. My girlfriend landed two fish, a yellow perch, and a nice size LMB. It was 18.5 inches and 3lb on the nose. I was very surprised how long it was, and also pretty jealous because she had the lunker of the day.

My little 12" pickerel was the highlight of mine. You can probably see the tail was bleeding, that's because when I was bringing it in the boat, it was thrashing so hard that the bottom part of the crankbait hooked its tail. So I had to unhook it from a U...

The water was also low enough where I could squeeze through the tunnel and hit the lower part of the Reservoir. That's where both the LMB and Pickerel were hit in about 5-7 FOW.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Report!

Real long tail section on that bass. Surprised it didn't weigh more this time of year.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! That pickerel almost looks like a hybrid pike/pickerel
Michael

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it the Strike King or larger Rapalas that worked? I'm sure that 10cm Husky Jerk worked again for you. 10cm X-Rap and 11cm Original Floater or Jointed would have done it too.

Good point DD. I couldn't tell if it was either a pike or pickerel.
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was thinking that about the pickerel too but I wasn't sure. They have Pike there so it's possible for sure.

Hey Michael - the Strike Kings kept getting me Sunfish and perch. The Rapalas did the good deeds today. The husky jerk is what my gf was using and she caught that bass on. The pickerel was on a suspending one that was a bit bigger. I have some jointed ones but I haven't used them, and I also have some floaters. For some reason the Strike King to me had a little too much action, which I didn't like for some reason. The Rapalas seem to work better Smile.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some aggressive jerking with a 5 second pause and a few light twitches with a Husky Jerk or X-Rap can get the bass and pickerel to hit. The light twitches gets the fish even more mad by just seeing the tail of the lure wagging in front of them.
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does look like a hybrid pike/pic. They say it happens sometimes. Good pics though.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Lake Champlain hybrid:

And here's my daughter and Captain Mickey Maynard with an even better one:

They have the size of a northern pike with the fight of a chain pickerel. And they're the prettier than either. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size of a pike to go with the fight of a pickerel is something I'd go crazy for!

I love that aggressiveness of a chain pickerel and could imagine feeling that fight to go with the size of a pike!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: