CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Squantz Pond Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvolkers

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Squantz Pond Reply with quote

we spent 2 full days at Squantz Pond this week! THE PLACE is a little spot of heaven! The water temps were around 53.4 and got up to 54.5! The smallies were hitting top waters and even a occasional largemouth got into the act! -- BUT with the water temps so low there were PLENTY of trout to be had also hitting top water and small fat raps! -- IT WAS a very scenic and diverse environment! a little bit of evey thing as far as structure goes!

we also hit Candlewood and i was REMINDED of just what fishing means to me! GETTING AWAY FROM IT ALL! for all it's water and great fishing - i can truthfully say i would never go back again! to many houses and all the noises that come with them!

GIVE ME a place like Squantz Pond and the smaller houses on one side and the wildness on the other and i am a happy fisherman!
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you catch any thing? =P

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said it there rvolkers...

One of my FAVORITE PLACES to fish is Squantz! There WILL be day's there were you won't catch anything, but still a very nice place to fish except between Memorial Day thru Labor Day when ALL the non-fishing people show up.

JC
rvolkers

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree! - it is just a nice place to hang-out in a boat! the water falls were pretty cool! & i like boulders in the water! (LOL) - sometimes it's just about getting away and there you feel AWAY! (LOL) I'm from Brewster NY and as kid we spent many times there growing up (in the 60's) and had quite few school skips and parties there as well!

NEVER fished it till this year and the only part of the water i saw BACK THEN was the beach and jumping off the rocks! -- I am glad i came back to fish! Thumbs Up
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to stay at the rental cottages there sometime, but I think they just rent by the week.

JC
madkey

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Squantz Reply with quote

Went to Squantz yesterday morning to get my first walleye ever .Had to wait for some lightning and thunder to pass at day break then got on the water.temps were around 55 and went to 57 in some spots. we drifted a while near the causeway and i lost a fish on dead bait. then trolled for a while down and back.ended up getting a 17 inch brown on leadcore and stickbait.
we started working the shore line and started scoring some nice trout most of them were beautiful silver and fat, average 16 inch. Also hooked up 4 smallies,the biggest was 15 inch. unfortunately no walleye for me but i will go back for a night trip, i think that will work.
I agree with you guys Squantz is a great place with little traffic and lots of action.
I marked alot of bait and even grabbed a few floaters. Definitely Going back for my walleye.
Rich

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madkey.. they are there... just a matter of finding what they want.

JC
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually - e mailed the cottages! my old fishing partner from mass was down for our annual spring trip! LIKE YOU i thought it would be just the best - (i never heard back) we had 4 days to fish and i would have paid for a week just to be able to tie up the boat eat and go out at night! - so we trailered not bad from Newtown BUT WOULD have liked to fish the morning into the afternoon - eat and nap and fish the late afternoon into the night!

WE ALSO trolled for the EYES nothing! BUT i did talk to a dep guy that shocked the lake and he told me that the state record fish is in there -- AROUND 15 pounds! (LOL - would take any eye just to catch one! Razz)
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ rvolkers... have you tried the Saugatuck Res yet for walleyes?

JC
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have fished the saug a few times! - and have caught some nice trout NO EYES - and find i am more comfortable on my boat! - it is perfect for what we like to do 16ft bass tracker with a 25 hp - and it is just right for sqz! and a the smaller bodies of water we fish -- am hoping to fish the housy a lot for the stripers! thats a blast!!!
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever need a seat filled on your boat for Squantz let me know. I'll toss in a few $$ for boat gas and bait.

Today would've been a perfect day to troll for eyes there.

JC
madkey

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC
Help me out a little...I'm new to the walleye fishing/trolling.
any suggestions?
I have downriggers and leadcore what do you think works best
Rich

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madkey... For trolling seeing as I don't have downriggers I use 14-20lb Fireline and let out a bunch of line. That's where downriggers would be nice, get right to the proper depth.

Trolling lures, you can never go wrong with a good ole crawler harness 2 oe 3 hook style, various colored bead/spinner blade colors. I also use various stick/crank baits like Storm Thunderstick, Rapalas, anything that is alewive looking in the 4-8 inch size. Plus I have to use the "deep diving" versions because of no downrigger.

Shore fishing mostly slip bobber set at desired depth using shiners, alewives (if permitted) crawlers, etc... And for lures in spinners like Thomas brand, stick/crank baits alewive colors.

Hope this is of help,

JC
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deep diving repalas BRIGHT COLORS! - jerks work good i am told! (LOL) altough i never caught a EYE in my life!
MikeOkay

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried squantz for a few hours yesterday morning. Fishing from the shore directly to the right of the boat launch but all i could get were some sunnys and small rock bass. It was totally worth it though because a huge bald eagle flew across the pond at one point. Really beautiful sight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: