CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Hamburg Cove 4/26 New PB!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Hamburg Cove 4/26 New PB! Reply with quote

Buddy and I took his canoe to Hamburg Cove Thursday and launched around 1pm. High tide for the 95 bridge was scheduled for 3:24pm.

Weather conditions were overcast skies, humid, air temps in the upper 50s, and a 5 to 10 mph wind in various directions.

Before we launched, I took a few casts while waiting for my buddy to get set. Played topwater with a 7cm shad Shallow Shad Rap and got 2 explosions and caught a 1 1/2 pound pickerel.

While on the canoe, we hit the docks and piers before making our way towards the shoreline structure along the current.

I was sticking with a 4cm silver shad Jointed Shad Rap while my buddy stuck mostly with live shiners and worms, cause he was targeting yellows and whites.

I was hitting many fish with the Jointed Shad Rap by doing a slow-steady retrieve. My buddy wasn't getting into much as for fish but was getting into a mess a number of times with casting.

Pickerel up to 1 1/2 pounds and bass in the 10" to 14" 1 1/2 pound range were the active ones around the docks with the Jointed Shad Rap and also hit 1 yellow and 1 bluegill.

Later when we made it to the shoreline structure along the current and no wake zone, I hit a nice one! I felt plenty of hard head shaking and full force pulling! Then as I got it closer I saw what I couldn't tell was either a small pike or nice pickerel jump. Get it to the canoe and my buddy nets it.

New PB 23" 3 1/2 pound chain pickerel!

When I got it to the canoe I saw it had the lure in its mouth and line was sticking out of its mouth! Right as I got it in front of me inside the canoe, the sine snapped but still had the fish and lure.

Also hit 1 bass, 2 dinky yellows, and a 7" pumpkinseed along that area.

Next we went over to a cove where I hit a 1 1/2 pound largemouth and my buddy got into a few yellows.

Last stop was one certain area of the docks that looked interesting.

My buddy was getting lots of hits on his live minnows in there and I had plenty of followers on the Jointed Shad Rap.

Yellows, bluegills, and crappie were the ones in there.

My buddy hit 1 crappie and a number of yellows with the live shiners and had a number of hits. I hit 1 yellow and 1 bluegill with the Jointed Shad Rap and caught 2 crappie, 1 yellow, and 2 bluegills with a 4cm shad Shad Rap RS.

We then headed back to the ramp just after 7pm.

Total was my buddy with a number of yellows, 1 crappie, 2 bass, 1 pickerel, and 1 bluegill. I caught a total of 5 yellows, 3 bluegills, 1 pumpkinseed, 2 crappie, 4 pickerel, and 5 largemouths. Shad was the pattern and they were looking for something small with a rattle that could get down to where they were.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember ever catching a black crappie at Hamburg Cove. Nice! But no white perch, huh? I think that worms work better than shiners in the cove, at least while the water's still cold.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pickeral. I love the jointed shad rap. You use the yellow perch color? I find that works wonders on pickeral.
SAP284

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiehug20 wrote:
Nice pickeral. I love the jointed shad rap. You use the yellow perch color? I find that works wonders on pickeral.

I've never used the yellow perch pattern. I've always had more luck with the color called Silver Shad. 3 other colors I like are Bleeding Pearl, Shad, and Perch.
Elixir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a beast! Way to gettem!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: