CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Change of Pace: Farmington 4/27
View previous topic :: View next topic  
O-BASS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Change of Pace: Farmington 4/27 Reply with quote

The month of April has been a let down, both from a weather and fishing standpoint. The Bite for me has largely not materialized on days ive had to fish, and when given the choice in the last 2 weeks, ive opted for the gym over fishing.

Reading the weather forcast for today, and aproximating the wave height to be somewhere near or above my head on most major lakes in state, i opted for a trip to the farmington on the heels of some fantastic reports from friends.

I am, largely, a poor trout fisherman. Its not something i am well equipped for, nor something i am passionate about, but i do enjoy it when the season is right. Taking cues from generous and informative members, i changed my line down to 4 pound test, not quite brave enough to battle anything on 2-3 just yet. i took the 6 foot ultralight, some 1/32 and 1.16 ounce heads, and some assorted curlytails grubs. I figured the big trout eat meat, and might as well feed em something they can see.

On the way, i stopped in thomaston for breakfast at Pattys Pantry. its among the last places on earth where coffee is INCLUDED with your meal. i rarely drink coffee, but theres is terriffic, and paired with a chili omlette and rye toast, id have fished the whole day with a skunk just for that omlette! some wonderful blackberry muffins, slathered in real butter seal the deal. Big fan of the smalltown greasy spoons...

made it to riverton, and found water low enough that even i knew it would be hard to fish. i hiked around and drove spot to spot looking for fish but came up empty for an hour or so. feeling another head scratcher coming on, i opted to hike in a bit deeper and see if i could find some fish in a slower stretch.

i landed 6 out of 8 fish that hit in the next 20 minutes, all on the chart curly tail. pinched babrs made realease a snap, and i took the time to wet my hands and keep fish in the water as much as i could. it really DOES help the fish survive. if you can, make the effort to wet your hands well.

landed my PB rainbow (you're gonna laugh) at 20 inches and about 3.5 pounds. for me, thats a big trout and it fought very well in the rip on light gear. another on was almost 18 inches, all fiesty rainbows and browns.

headed down streat past church pool, and finished up the day with another 6 fish and some misses including what was a real tank of a trout, something that just ran, sat, shook and laughed at me from about 30 feet away when it threw the hook. substantially larger than my previous fish.

A dozen trout in pristine waters isnt a bad day, especially since effective april 5th my bass season abruptly ground to a halt, but i would be surprized if before it warms up one of you found me up there again, trying not to look foolish casting spinning gear in beat up jeans amongst the fancy tackle jackets and waders. some kind guys up there provided a bit of regulation clarity when i wasnt sure on the free swinging hook rule; didnt turn up thier noses at all... good guys who helped me out.

have a safe weekend; was nice to feel the tap-tap of a fish again

O'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome report, was going to take a trip tonight to Riverton with the fly rod in hand, after hearing it was a good day for you sealed the deal on my decision...trout fishing tonight it is!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! I couldn't get the stockies in my local trout pond to bite the hook on a 1/16 ounce round jighead with a two inch curlytail grub on it. They'd hit the jig, but miss the hook. They were smaller than the trout that you found, for sure, but was it the 1/32 ounce jighead that was working for you?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny just read this on that other site. Nice job on the trout. Gotta get up to the Farmy one of these days
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20" isnt anything to be bashful wbout around hete at all! Your not in Canada or upstate NY or, well you get the point!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
slim2043

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20" ain't a trophy but it's a great fish on my Farmington river. Great report! I'll be out there tomorrow Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the PB bow Mike! Nice job!
ripline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice change of pace O'. Congrats on the PB!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: