CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Snakehead Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jschin26

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Good Eats Reply with quote

I'm originally from MD and the snakeheads are getting out of control here. The first was caught in a pond 10 mins from my home, and was put there when it out grew the fish tank some idiot had it in. Little did that guy know snakeheads are good eats. Now they've travelled their way into one of the major bass fishing rivers, the Potomac. They're crazy fish especially right after their eggs hatch, they will protect their lil babies at all costs so thats the best time to catch them. Top water action for sure. I'll be moving to CT on sunday, i hope these critters haven't disrupted your waters yet.

The MD DNR instructs all fisherman to cut their heads off and dispose of em. But most people down here are having fish frys instead.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to CT!

The CT DEP (i.e., Department of Environmental Protection) hasn't ordered anglers to destroy any snakeheads they catch. I think that might be because they haven't been found here, yet. I've heard reports of some being caught, but they always turn out to be bowfin, instead.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on the New York border on the CT side and one of my friends told me that someone caught a Snakehead in White Pond. If you are familiar with the Putnam Dutchess area and you fish then you know that White Pond is one of the best Bass/Walleye lakes around. Hope this "intruder" didn't spawn cause if it did they lay some ridiculous number of eggs at a time.
-soto
damage inc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on the New York border on the CT side and one of my friends told me that someone caught a Snakehead in White Pond. If you are familiar with the Putnam Dutchess area and you fish then you know that White Pond is one of the best Bass/Walleye lakes around. Hope this "intruder" didn't spawn cause if it did they lay some ridiculous number of eggs at a time.
-soto
atkins

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your friend probaly caugt a bowfin,
All these reports really show why scientists use latin names when talking about species,
my friends call Smooth Dogfish, Mustelus canis , sandsharks which are Carcharias taurus
According to the dep pictorial guide to freshwater fish of ct, bulletin 42, bowfin are in the ct river and the scoville reservoir,

Bowfin:

Snakehead

Bowfin are invasive, just as any introduced species, such as the brown trout, large and small mouth bass, walleye, northern pike, and the bluegill.
All of these fish have impacted and changed the way the connecticut freshwater ecosytem behaves. Bluegills wipe out native pumpkinseeds, and eat perch and pickerel fry, the bass and pike compete for the same prey as the native chain pickerel. Browntrout displaced the native brook trout(which isnt a trout) The rainbow trout is a failed attempt, pretty much the ones you catch are aquarium fish anyhow, just isnt the right envioment for rainbows.

Their presence is probably here for good, [/img]
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the browns and brookies are true trout - the rainbow is a member of the salmon family. Keep in mind people that the Northern Snakehead looks a lot like a bowfin. The snakehead in the pic above is a Giant Snakehead and could not tolerate the cool waters of this region. The Northern snakehead, however can handle these temps just fine and has the same brown coloration as a bowfin. When in doubt, just remember the snakehead has 1 continueous bottom fin on the rear of the body (like an eel) and the bowfin has seperate fins (like any standard fish).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what Flipper said!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if I can learn to spell, people might actually believe that I'm smart Rolling Eyes Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are in the CT River. A friend caught a lot online ct. Boston DEP came and took it. I do not see the talking head is a big problem to pass through the dam Enfield, whether they are in the river at Mass, they are here in CT .. A shame .....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Bowfin Reply with quote

Out of curiosty taled to Fisheries Biologist today at the State DEP he confirmed what others ahave said that bowfin were a non native species and that they were an "ancestral fish". Interesting guy tto talk to and then he told me "you have to realize bass are a non native species also" hmmm..
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the only native fish species to this area are pumpkinseed, pickeral, and brook trout. Not sure about the catfish species, and I am not including migratory fish. I can't spell andromadous. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullheads, yellow perch, banded and redbreast sunfish, are also native
Fishing Addict

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Snake Heads in Farmington River??? Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Yeah, what Flipper said!

This is the first time I read about snake heads, but unless there are some other fresh water fish looks similar to them in shape and color; then I saw them today on the Farmington river "Spawning' I believe
I was there today by Tarrifville by the broken dam, and these fish were right there. I tried to snag on of them to see what it was, but i was not able to get it because they were right by the stream or waterfall. Color looks exactly like this pic not like a bow fin at all.

Again, I am not saying they were snake heads but they look very close to that pic, I thought they are some kind of colorful eel species when I first saw them

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are all bowfin you people are seeing caught in the CT river, saw 4 caught already this year on shiners and spinnerbaits, there not snakeheads, before i hear this stupid argument again post a picture of your supposed ''snakehead'' lol Wink
PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing Addict - Thanks for the report. You should be aware that bowfin actually change color and pattern when they're spawning. I've heard stories of bright turquois colors on some. You should take a photo and call the DEEP if you spot the fish, again. I'm sure that they'd want to check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: