CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: One Foot/ 1st Hole Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

You have "NO IDEA!" how wacked out some hardwater fisherman can get and I have seen many types of vehicles driven out on to ice Exclamation

Last year -> One guy drove a stretch limo out on a lake in Mass. Shocked

Also last year, up on the Great Lakes, I belive it was 37 ice fisherman that got caught on an ice floe that broke away and off they all went for a cruise.
All where saved, by local rescue and USCG, but they had to leave all their gear, snowmobiles, ATV's, and pick-up trucks behind. BLOOOP Exclamation

Then they had to pay to have all those vehicles recovered off the lake botom, as dictated by law Exclamation (Now that was $$$$$$$$$$$$).

Don't belive Me Question -> Wait Exclamation -> I'll be using your words -> I TOLD YOU SO Exclamation Rolling Eyes Very Happy Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stretch limo I can understand...it was probably a rental with no emotional attachment. Perhaps I'm being a bit stereotypical, but BMW owners specifically treat their cars like they're infants. I have 3 years of experience in the automotive service industry....it's impossible not to notice "themes" regarding cars and their drivers.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh Kira!

I'm sure your right about people and themes concerning their cars -> But HERE's the PROOF! Very Happy Shocked Laughing Laughing

And this next guy even has a fishing rod in hanger off his driver's side door Exclamation Very Happy Shocked Laughing

As I said -> You never know what lengths hardwater fishermen will go to to engage in their addiction Exclamation Shocked Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadog1 - No way of knowing for sure, but I'm positive the ice is thicker than 8" in both of those photos. They have mountains wherever they are. I'm not disputing that pretty much about every type of vehicle has been on ice. I'd probably drive on it too once the ice is thick enough to also accommodate the tow vehicle my RWD truck would require after appx. 5 seconds of fishtailing. However, I don't believe I'm ever going to see a BMW on the ice when the thickness is only 8" like in the little graphic your posted.

Another reference I found says "8 inches - 12 inches (20 - 30 cm) is suitable for one car or group of people (approx. 1500 - 2000 pounds.)" A late-80's BMW (like the one in the safety graphic) weighs roughly 3000 lbs. Has anyone here driven their small car/pickup on exactly 8 inches and not been a nervous wreck the entire time? Any BMW owners want to prove me wrong once the thickness reaches exactly 8 - 9 inches? Hell, I'll even drive your car out there for you if you sign a waiver, supply me with a neoprene diving suit, and promise to save me if/when your car falls through the ice.

BTW, that 2nd pic is a perfect example of the stereotype I'm referring to...obviously a BMW ad, since neither one of them left any tracks (that, or the car is equipped with a feature that repels freshly fallen snow.) The guy is bonding with his car...it's so...so...touching. Doesn't look like either of them are having any luck though.

I'm not disputing that BMWs are a crapload of fun to drive, or that the pride of their owners isn't justifiable...I just think a Geo Metro would make about 300 times more sense in that drawing.

Here's a safety tip you missed: "Above all, avoid alcoholic beverages. Beer and booze increases your chances for hypothermia and increases the likelihood that you’ll make a stupid mistake that will cost you or a companion their life." Beer specifically will make you pee more & cause significant shrinkage. On the ice, it's much wiser to substitute your beer with a water pipe. For tobacco, of course.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

Love it when I can get you stired up on a subject Exclamation Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

The safety graph I posted is put out by Michigan and they have a looooong history of knowing what thickness of ice can support various vehicles.

The safety graph is a guide line for people to follow!

As for alcohol -> Your absolutely right Exclamation -> If taken in excessive quantity Exclamation -> I still will have my small flasks of Blackberry Brandy and Rum to take a nip now and again to ward off the chill of being on the ice. Very Happy Very Happy

As always, your welcome to share Exclamation Razz

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi Kira!

Love it when I can get you stired up on a subject Exclamation Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

The safety graph I posted is put out by Michigan and they have a looooong history of knowing what thickness of ice can support various vehicles.

The safety graph is a guide line for people to follow!

As for alcohol -> Your absolutely right Exclamation -> If taken in excessive quantity Exclamation -> I still will have my small flasks of Blackberry Brandy and Rum to take a nip now and again to ward off the chill of being on the ice. Very Happy Very Happy

As always, your welcome to share Exclamation Razz
SeaDog1

Not stirred up; more bored than anything. I just want to go fishing.

If Michigan says it's OK for me to drive my small pickup on the ice at 8" then it must be fine. I never fished Coventry Lake this year as planned, so I'll just assume that the 40 mph speed limit for boats applies to my truck as well. Hurry up and freeze Coventry Lake!

I've got a snow tube to tow if anyone's interested...

RyanBass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
On the ice, it's much wiser to substitute your beer with a water pipe. For tobacco, of course.

ive never actually iced fished, and have wondered if i would get bored standing in the cold staring at a drilled hole in the ice, while jigging myself into a coma.

what could make such a ridiculous task seem more fun?

now i know.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ryan!

Wellllll -> Your allowed 6 rigs -> Sooooooooo -> When the bite is hot - and your rigs are set anywhere from 20 - 50 ft apart -> I'll be LMAO watching you run from rig to rig (or flag to flag as we say)Exclamation -> And It Will Happen Exclamation Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh! And if you don't have ice cleats on -> I GUARANTEE you will fall down Thumbs Up and go BOOM right on your Kista! which will cause me to laugh even harder and possibly pee in my pants Exclamation Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

(Kira! -> No beer for me when on Ice Exclamation Laughing Laughing )

SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
RyanBass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seadog,

i was talking about the water pipe, for "tobacco"

but im sure ill have plenty to laugh about without it.

cant wait to go ass over tea kettle for the first time.
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanBass wrote:
thats exciting.
ive just moved here from long island. the lakes and ponds dont freeze thick enough for ice fishing there.

im ready to give it a shot this winter being in CT.
anyone know a nice place for beginners to go?
also a list of necessities?

any help is appreciated.

Ryan, I also live in Newington, i love going ice fishing and would be happy to invite you to come along with me and my buddy,,, silver lake is a good place to start, the ice there is usually frozen about the same thickness in most places(which will help in the safety issues... less wondering what were about to walk onto!) and it usually produces some good numbers of bass and pickerel at a couple of locations i like to fish. If your wondering about equipment and how-to, the best way to learn is by doing. I would definitly suggest ice cleats, and ice picks for safety for the first things to add to your ice gear, under 20 $ and well worth it. If you go and you decide you do or dont like it you still didn't break the bank! I have all the gear necessary to show you the ropes, but im sure you will want to invest in a hand auger and tip ups as the start of your gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: