CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Power Auger Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish On!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Power Auger Advice Reply with quote

With the up coming ice season coming I was thinking about investing in a power auger. I was just wondering about other people’s experiences with them to help me make a wise purchase.

So far I’ve only decided that I would like one with a dual blade set-up. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Pauleye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Power Auger Reply with quote

If you ice fishing A LOT then a power augur such as a Strikemaster or Nils Master is worth it. If you fish less than A LOT the I think buying 2 nils master hand augers is a better investment. Get the 6" and 8". I have a 6" nils hand and an 8" nils power auger and I ice fish CT. Although I like the power auger when the ice is at it's thickest, I never felt like it was "a must have." The hand auger cuts through the same thickness with ease. The gas auger enables you to drill holes at will so the ice looks like swiss cheese.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pauleye - Now THAT's a piece of well-given advice. I may never buy an augur, but have always thought that gas augurs must be for wussies. A little bit of exertion would keep you warm on the ice, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Jiffy 30 gas auger with a 12 inch blade. i have it because i used to live in minnesota. there is no real need for a gas auger in CT.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second the Jiffy - always used until last season....when my buddie and I went halfsie on an elecetric/cordless one....I was skeptical, but it popped 12 holes in 10" ice without issue and LED still showed green.....we'll see how it holds up this year...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pauleye, i hear your point and do agree with you. I think I'm excited for this season and just want to buy a new toy, I remember the end of last season when I had to hand drill through 14 inches of ice and all I could think about was having a power auger.
tav1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: auger Reply with quote

i'll agree with fish on.... yea i'll agree minn. does have some thick ice , what are you getting 20" at a min. ? but ct. does get (in a good year) between 12" - 15" of ice on some northern lakes and useing a hand auger with that thickness really sucks. so having a decent 6-8" gas auger is is a plus.

catch and release...#1 priority

we all live down stream once in a while and walking on water is a rush.
tav1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: auger Reply with quote

going back to peco..... you said gas augers are for wussies....lol . if you have 12" of black ice just try and cut thru that with an hand auger....man thats a bitch,
ya you'll keep warm for sure and after cutting about a dozen holes you'll be asking a friend to borrow his. ( on a freindly note tho )

catch and release...#1 priority

we all live down stream once in a while and walking on water is a rush.
AustinB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tav i agree with you on the 12-15 inches with a hand auger sucks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about being a wus or how thick the ice is----It's about time! I personally would rather be fishing than hand drilling holes. Also, what if you want to move? Then you have to hand drill another 5 holes. I'd rather spend the money on a gas one so I have more time to fish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: