CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Safe Ice?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Safe Ice? Reply with quote

Has anyone seen any safe ice around the state? im thinking up in the northwest corner there might be but i dont want to venture out to see nothing.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike1 and All!

1st of all I'm repeating what "all authorities post"

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SAFE ICE -> NO WHERE -> EVER Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Ice does not form uniformly anywhere Exclamation

1.) At the start of the season the land is colder then the water -. Water retains heat so ice starts to form along the shore edges first then out towards the middle.

2.) In the spring the reverse occurs with the land getting warmer 1st and the water stays colder. That's why the shore edges melt before the middle does.

The thickness of ice can vary widely on any one body of water due to rivers, streams, creeks, underwater springs, and yes even underground thermals.
You can be on 12 inches of ice at one point and 2 inches just feet away!

THE CORRECT TERM TO USE IS -> "RELIABLE ICE" Exclamation

1st Ice and Last Ice, as we fishermen like to call it, are the most unpredictable and DANGEROUS Exclamation

Have ALL your SAFETY GEAR (On You - Not back at the car) when you venture out on the ice and check the thickness every 6 to 10 ft. as you go with a spud/chisel Exclamation

We've had some nice cold Wx the past few days and nights and ice is forming up here in the NW corner but I haven't yet made my rounds to check any local waters.
Will do so tomorrow Exclamation

As a reminder -> the first couple of waters that freeze up, here in the NW corner of Ct., will be hit hard by a fairly large number of "IMPATIENT" ice fishermen.
Some will even risk going out on ice "Less than 3 inches" Shocked Shocked Exclamation
Taking that kind of risk and breaking thru "Unreliable Ice", possibly losing ones life, just to catch a fish isn't wise Exclamation
Last year we had a number of people break thru the ice and one 9 year old girl lost her life Exclamation

As the season progresses and more waters freeze up "RELIABLY", fishermen will disperse to those waters they like to fish!

Be Smart -> Be Safe -> Have Fun Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
tav1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: safe ice Reply with quote

mike , theres been reports of woodcreek in the north west corner and theres only about 3" and that still not enough for me....but it's a start.

catch and release...#1 priority

we all live down stream once in a while and walking on water is a rush.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: