CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Snakehead Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manillathrilla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Snakehead Reply with quote

SnakeHead fish being caught in connecticut or around ct? would love to catch some of these guys so if you have any advice or knowledge it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Snakehead Reply with quote

manillathrilla wrote:
SnakeHead fish being caught in connecticut or around ct? would love to catch some of these guys so if you have any advice or knowledge it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

WHAT Exclamation

Snakeheads are an invasive species of fish from overseas and already causing problems with native fish in Va. and other states.

If you catch one -> KILL IT IMMEDIATELY AND CALL THE DEP Exclamation

We DO NOT WANT! fish like that in Ct. or the Asian jumping Carp that is causing serious problems in the Mississippi Exclamation

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what SeaDog1 said. Snakeheads and asian carp are a huge problem. If you find one, report it to the DEP.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you catch that thing, kill it, dont throw it up on land or nayhting like that, they are known to be able to move on land to different water sources...you cannnnnn do itttttttt, cut his fu*kinnnnnnnnnnn head offfff!!!!!! lol but seirously, they are no joke, they've taken over ALOT of water in NY, and FL
RobO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Snake Head Reply with quote

I had never heard of a snakehead fish. So I looked it up and this is some information I found.:

The Northern Snakehead, Channa argus, is no ordinary fish, biologists explain. It is a voracious top-level predator, meaning that it has no natural enemies, and could decimate populations of native fish. About 90% of its diet consists of other fish, though it also eats crustaceans, insects, and plants. In its native range it can live in water with temperatures ranging from 0 to 30 degrees C; it is found in muddy or vegetated ponds, swamps, and slow-moving streams. Snakeheads can breathe air and survive for up to four days out of water, and can survive for longer periods of time when burrowed in the mud. They are capable of traveling over land to new bodies of water by wriggling their bodies over the ground.

Reproducing populations of snakeheads have now been discovered in Maryland, California, and Florida. Individual fish have also been caught in Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Hawaii.

As of July 9th (2004), a total of fourteen have been caught in the Potomac, with lengths of up to 18 inches, including a sexually mature female ready to lay eggs. For a complete inventory, see: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/newsroom/pr-070904-Snakehead.html. It seems likely that a breeding population has been established, but if it has it will be virtually impossible to eliminate. Explains Florida fisheries scientist Kelly Gestring, once a snakehead population gets established, “neither man nor nature can get rid of them. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watched river monsters all about snakehead, mean mean fish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you miss the part about them destroying and taking over all native species of fish?
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm i wonder if we can get some people together to start fishing some remote areas around the state and find some places that might hold these fish. We can do some research find the best bait and best locations and if we find any in CT, we can start a Kill the Snakeheads campaign Smile And YES i watched the river monsters show on snakeheads when they were fishing in back waters of Miami, FL. Those things were hitting top water plugs and rubber frogs.
panfishh8r

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know for sure if they're in CT? because i saw an episode of river monsters and the guy only talked about them living in the south. Has anyone caught them before?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Snake heads Reply with quote

Go on you tube and look up river monster with jerry wayde he has all the info you need the closest snakehead to conn. was catch in 2006 in maraland and they can't really move on land it just seem as they can thay just wigle back and forth alot and it looks like there tring to move, they breath air so its easy for them to move in small flooded area to different part of land. It against the laaw to relaese them back into the water if you acually catch one remember look up river monsters
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they are situated in NY as well
Vudak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go killing a fish, thinking it's a snakeshead, make sure it's not a Bowfin...
Vudak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(needed three posts to post this or I would have included it in the first).

safarah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are in the CT river. A friend caught one in on the ct mass line. Boston DEP came and took it. I dont see the snakehead having a big problem getting through the enfield dam, so if they are in the river in Mass, they are here in CT.. A shame..... Sad
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Unfortunatly i seen my first snakehead in CT Reply with quote

Yes thats right, I didnt want to believe it. This guy says hay man you ever see a fish like this. he kept it, it was dead. but when i saw it my jaw dropped. he would not let me take it. i tried to buy it off of him. it was one of those local fisherman that can care less about laws or regulations. keeping anything they catch. and well, what i saw in his bucket was a snakehead. there is no other fish that looks like that. Big teeth. massive head. guy wouldnt give his name or anything, and i had no way to contact dep at the time. uhg. I hope for fishing sakes that was a one and only snakehead there. scary thing, it was BIG. easily pushing 2 feet long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: