CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: 5/4 catfishing wethersfield cove Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjpd_00

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: 5/4 catfishing wethersfield cove Reply with quote

My buddy and I decided to take is little jon boat out. We anchored out at the entrance of the cove fishing toward the river. Fished from 10 to 1 I got one about 3 or 4 lbs and my buddy got one about 2lbs, then caught an eel. We where using chicken liver for bait. When we got back to shore there was a cop there. She ended up calling for backup and we ended up getting harassed. They said we can't be there after dark even if we are fishing then looked at your licenses and ran our names then let us go. I ended up harassing the cop a little bit though, I asked her why they can have a tournament there and fish until dark or a little after dark and why we cant fish after dark and all she could say was I don't know....so does anyone know of any spots for catfish on the river in the hartford/wethersfield area that don't close after dark?
anointed130

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to take a drive, go up to enfield, the thompsonville boat ramp, I never get harassed there. I think there isn't much crime in that particular area so the cops need something to do, hence calling backup for fisherman.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
cjpd_00

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, my dad and I launch from thompsonville and fish for bass up north by six flags. Ive been thinking about trying for catfish in that area but havent made the trip over there yet. how do you usually do?
anointed130

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been over there recently A couple years ago i use to go over there quite frequently, I have seen some 10 lb catfish come out of there. Last time i was there guy caught a 20lb carp.

~Tony~
cjpd_00

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for the info. The biggest catfish I caught in wethersfield cove was 8lbs so maybe that spot will be even better.
DV

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a long time lurker but this is my 1st post on this website. Me and my buddy almost ALWAYS fish after dark, mostly bass and some cat fishing when lazyness rolls in. Glastonbury is a joke, cops will do anything I mean anything to try and bust your balls. The cove and the Ferry launch are terrible for asshole cops. I have had backup called + my car searched for having a cracked windshield.

Bolton lake is a good place for cat fish after dark, plenty good sizes and cops understand as long as your not trashing the place.

Manchester cops are hell bent are trying to find something to give you a ticket for, stay away.

CT river in or north of East Hartford is fair game, never once been hassled and have fished in tons of different spots.
cjpd_00

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site and thanks for your input. I fish bolton a lot for catfish. Good numbers there but I have never seen anything over 4lbs. Your right about the cops there. Ive only had one bother me and it was the last time I went he just asked if we where fishing and we said yeah so he said good luck....I wish other places could be like that
anointed130

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to lower Bolton and don't catch a lot of channel Cat, maybe a bullhead now and then.

do you park by the boat ramp, or go to the other side by the spillway\dam?

~Tony~
cjpd_00

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually walk down from the boat launch and fish on either side of the cement thing that is fenced in. If you want to fish with me there sometime I can meet you there. Ive had nights where I had a steady bite for about 2 hours straight. Its usually a good mix of catfish and bullhead
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batterson has enormous catfish...in the summer, there are a bunch of old guys that set up 3 rigs each from shore, and they fillet the catfish there, leaving the heads behind. The heads are HUGE.

Lower Bolton and Holbrook have a lot of bullheads near the launch after dark. The Bolton channel cats are quite aggressive during the day too, but they're farther out in deeper water.

Black Pond and Silver are great for channel cats.

All 5 places have been police-friendly to me after dark. I'll go with you guys to Bolton some night...there never seems to be anyone there when I go.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should say something to them becasue you are only allowed 2 rods. Thats common along the river at night people fishing with more than 2 rods a peice. Rolling Eyes
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegill Terminator wrote:
You should say something to them becasue you are only allowed 2 rods. Thats common along the river at night people fishing with more than 2 rods a peice. Rolling Eyes

You think I'm gonna enforce the rules when I'm the only other person there at night? Besides, it's possible that not all 3 rods were being "actively used" at once...I don't get close enough to find out.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
anointed130

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You should say something to them becasue you are only allowed 2 rods. Thats common along the river at night people fishing with more than 2 rods a peice.

Thats funny, I always thought it was 2 hooks on a line which was the limit. Hope i have not been breaking CT fine laws. I am pretty sure i never have more than 2 active anyway, its to hard to watch more than that, especially in the dark.

I would rather catch the channel cats that are stocked. they may taste better than the bullheads that taste like dirt.

~Tony~
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a lighted slip bobber on my lines. They love the rattle noise and seem fascinated by the red glow.

DV

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 2" glowstick on the end of my rod, its hard to miss a bouncing green light in the night. I almost always carry 3-4 poles with me, only ever use 2 at a time though.

Never park by the beach, you will get hassled by cops as it illegal to park on that road. Haven't been there for cats in a year or so but last year there was many in the 2-5# range. You can also notice they are spawning pretty well if you look between the rocks. Never caught a bullhead there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: