CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake X....oops...Bigelow hollow today!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chud059

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Lake X....oops...Bigelow hollow today!! Reply with quote

Ha ha...sorry, couldn't resist.. anyway. My wife suggested last night to go up to Bigelow so she could "play with the fish"...swim.. and I could fish.. so we got up there around 1:30pm, at first it seemed very quiet.. heard some kids playing/ screaming...etc but didn't see much people action... Anyway, I was fishing from the handicap dock...using a ssr 7 perch color...caught 2 small pickerels... someone from the state, but in no particular uniform was launching an aluminum boat and using a gas engine...boats said "ct inland fisheries" he was just bopping around was in the water maybe half hour or so. We left the bigelow launch area and drove down to Mashapaug and that's where the mad house was... TONS and TONS of people walking, swimming, boating, fishing... so we turned around and went back to the bigelow launch...went to the left where there is a cove... I waded into the water.. lots of small lilly pad here, still using the ssr 7 perch thing... and BAM..HUGE HIT!!!!! then nothing....was pissed... I switched to the yellow firetiger lure, and had a mis-cast over some lilly pads and as I was reallying in the pads I snagged I noticed a bass that was about an inch longer than my lure at the end!! If I had a camera I would have added it to the Personal worst thread... my wife thought it was "cute" and didn't understand how a fish that small could eat something that is almost as big as it was! I said Bass are agressive...she said that was a cuter fish thatn the big ones I posted a week ago! she named it Baby Bass...of course I released..but she wanted to keep it!!

I don't think it was as hot as they predicted, especially up there.. it was very pleasant and even somewhat of a breeze. Going in the water was very pleasant. That cove is made by a peninsula that sticks out like a side ways "L" shape.. and I couldn't find too much shore access to fish other side of cove but the other side of the peninsula was very accessible and with wading in about waist high I was able to cast 3/4 accross to the other shore! But no luck...

I always have a good time there..it's so nice, even when there are a ton of people...oh yea, we stop at the TSA for a sode and bf jerky everytime we leave there!

Pretty long report for 2 pickerels and a "baby bass"... water temp. Warm, Air temp Warm... beautiful day.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time you go up to bigelow check out Black pond just down the road like 10 min decent little pond has a ymca camp on it but nice little place, they stock it with trout has a decent bass population and sone good crappies the waters pretty clean aswell if your into a swim. Only thing is ramp was a little rough last time I was there a year ago (dirt ramp) someone got stuck and burned a pretty deep hole in it but im sure its been fixed by now

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there a couple of years ago... long dirt road, and the launch area is decent for kayaks/canoes etc... Tough shore access though, I remember fishing from a huge rock to the right of the launch area and I caught a bass using a 3/8 oz black/purple jib on 6lb test!! Perhaps next time we go up there I will revisit that area!!
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a trail gos about 2/3 of the way around pond to right of launch when I worked at the camp we used to take campers there for overnights few decent spots from shore to fish but definately a boat pond
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: