CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 06/19
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 06/19 Reply with quote

I decided to go fishing this morning, since I had to get up crazy early to drive my wife to the airport. I hadn't been to Spring Pond in a while, so after I dropped her off, I headed to the pond with The Other Woman to try and catch some largemouth bass. When I launched near the culvert of the west shore of the south cove just before 6:30 am, the sky was overcast and there was just a slight south breeze. The air temperature was in the upper 50s and the water temperature was 68 degrees. I could see down in the murky water less than a foot. I'd run out of white spinnerbaits, so I tied on a 1/2 ounce Crappie pattern Persuader Imaged Blade Spinnerbait. On my third cast toward the shore, I got a hit from what I knew was a decent largemouth bass:

Whoo hoo! I had forgotten how hard largemouth bass can pull! Very Happy It weighed 3-1/2 pounds, which is exactly what I expect a 19 inch Connecticut largemouth bass to weigh. I threw the spinnerbait around the south cove for the next 1-1/4 hours, without any more hits. As I headed out of the south cove and up the east shore, I tied on a wacky rigged green pumpkin/red flake five inch Senko. After a few casts toward the shore, it was picked up by a 17 inch, two pound, five ounce largemouth bass:

I had been throwing the spinnerbait and the wacky Senko into clear water along the shore and around weedbeds, so I decided to tie on a Bullfrog Zoom Horny Toad and head back into the south cove to hit the weeds. As I threw it over the weeds off of the south shore of the south island, I got a hit and set the hook on another 17 inch largemouth bass:

Although I measured its length on my Hawg Trough measuring board, I didn't weigh it because the hook had gotten into one of its gills and it was bleeding all over the place. I quickly released it and it swam away pretty strongly, but it left a bloody mess:

As the south breeze became a steady five mile per hour south wind, the air temperature rose into the low 60s and the water temperature rose to 72 degrees, I headed up the east shore and into the northeast corner of the pond. As I passed a weedbed, I heard a splash and saw a swirl in the water behind be, so I tossed the wacky Senko at it over my shoulder. When the Senko hit the bottom, it was picked up by a 13 inch largemouth bass:

I worked my way across the north end of the pond and down the west shore. It wasn't until I approached the channel between the south island and the west shore that the frog got me another 13 inch largemouth bass over a weedbed underneath a tree on the west shore:

I headed off of the water just after 11:15 am. Man, it felt good to catch some largemouth bass, again! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Pond 06/19 Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I headed off of the water just after 11:15 am. Man, it felt good to catch some largemouth bass, again! Very Happy

I can tell by the smiles, and by the first picture! That's awesome, thanks for the report Phil.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome catches!

Spring pond in Granby? Always wanted to fish there but via google maps it looks like a long haul thru woods into it
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish Phil, I love spinnerbait fishing, I think I consistently catch bigger fish on em'! Wink
hila2006

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job out there Phil. You're doing a lot better than I am lately. Couple nice ones.
rmflint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 19 incher didn't have much of a belly huh? I caught one yesterday that was fattttt! I gave the picture but haven't uploaded it yet I'm too lazy. All in all a good day though. Nice work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring Pond in Avon, Joe.

The 19 incher was a perfect example of an average 19 inch Connecticut largemouth bass, Ryan. It headed for deeper water from the shore and spun The Other Woman around, which only strong fish can do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report and nice pics Phil!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil...great report!

Spring Pond in Granby is closed to fishing. It is in the McLean Game Refuge.
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the pond by the soccer fields in Avon Peco? with the islands in it? I believe i hit that earlier in the season

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good day to me. Fish on the third cast will certainly make you want to hang around for a while longer!
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishin'Fireman wrote:
Is that the pond by the soccer fields in Avon Peco? with the islands in it? I believe i hit that earlier in the season

Yeap, that's it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: