CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson Park Pond 06/10 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Batterson Park Pond 06/10 Reply with quote

After spending the weekend in the big city, I just HAD to get out onto the water, so I drove The Other Woman down to Batterson Park Pond for an evening troll. Fishface (aka Tim) stopped by the boat launch ramp on his way home and was kind enough to lend me a can of mosquito repellant from the trunk of his car. Yes, I enjoyed a bug free evening. Very Happy Actually, I enjoyed a perfect evening on the pond as far as conditions go; it was warm but not too warm, when there was wind there was just a tiny breeze, it was quiet except for a few croaking frogs and I was the only person in the whole park for most of the time that I was there. The police car that shined my car in the parking lot and me on the water barely slowed down as it circled through the lot. I was on the water from about 9:00 pm to 1:00 am. I caught 12, 11 and 10 inch long white perch, three dinky rock bass and two 15 inch walleye, all while trolling a Perch Rapala Shad Rap SR-7 and a Perch Rapala Shallow Shad Rap SSR-7. I tried for a largemouth bass by throwing a Strike King Midnight Special spinnerbait for a while, but for only a very short while. I didn't get a photo of the second white perch that I boated (i.e., the 11 incher) because it was inexplicably bleeding profusely from underneath one of its gill plates when I pulled it from the water, but here are some lousy photos of the rest of the fish from my iPhone:

I trolled around the entire perimeter of the pond and, as usual, both walleye came from the west side between the ramp and the beach. I didn't get anything at all on the east side of the pond. I think that my keeper to short percentage for walleye is now down to about four percent. Rolling Eyes I gotta get me another keeper! Confused

Last edited by PECo on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent been getting any keeper walleye lately either. Do you troll with two rods out at once or just one?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report. If you want a keeper walleye, you should take a trip to Lake Saltonstall in Branford. You have to fish from shore or better yet rent a boat with electric trolling motor ($25-35)

They stock it with walleye and a "small" walleye there is 18"

These are common sizes. I have never seen anyone catch one under around 20". I have seen an 8lb off the dock and a 10lb off a boat.

And you gotta get a bigger crankbait! Wink
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I troll two lines at once. My boat, The Other Woman, is a Hobie Pro Angler with two Scotty rod holders and a fish finder. It makes trolling easy.

I'd love to fish Lake Saltonstall, but Batterson Park Pond is close to where I live.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats like a superkayak! Id love to go to lake saltonstall but thats an hour drive for me. Maybe if i camped there or something but i dont think id go there for just a days trip.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice size to those whites
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco, all three of the walleye that my friend and I have caught have come on the east shore Razz I don't even bother with the west shore anymore.
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo my good man!!!

Peco, I have to say I am very impressed with your walleye consistency!!!

You've got to go to Lake Saltonstall one of these days. I've been going there for about 6 years now.
I fish there primarily for walleye and NEVER got one under 18 inch.

I got my PB walleye there 2 years ago, just a tad under 7 lbs.

Again good show!!!

JC

P.S. Oh yeah,they also got some NICE white perch there too!
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long was your seven pounder? I've never weighed any of the walleye that I've caught.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you take your own kayaks on lake Saltonstall? And is there a fee to get in?
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltonstall is water authority land and you need a $25 permit to fish there, which you need to go to the main orifice in New Haven to buy. It's on long wharf by gateway. No outside boats allowed, so you have to rent at about $30. So like $55 before you drop a jig. Really only makes sense if you live close enough to hit it regularly. There is however a value placed on outstanding fishing, and this is a great lake!! I had a permit there for years. Truly quality walleye, and mailbox bass. Now that I'm canoe fishing the less fished spots and doing well, I just cant see spending the extra money, though I'm itching for a walleye trip so who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cop just looked? Lucky you... I tried the nite bite in there a year or two ago.. I got the full blown run down... lights, loud speaker, and "cavity search" by a lady cop, once I paddled back to my truck. Havent been bacj to Batterson since...
in her defense, a truck, a canoe, several fishin rods and a lone dude with a spot light on his hat is a recipe for some mischief...and the sign did say closed at dusk.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The park isn't closed to fishermen at dusk, at least not any more. She was probably just hot for you. It's a curse with which you and Brad Pitt will just have to live. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay there Peco, my 5 1/2 lber is 25 inch, the almost 7 lber I never even measured. I can post a photo of the 7 if you like?

But I'm not sure how to, unless you wantme to email it to you & you could post it for me because I always screw up the "resizing" process.

JC
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL ! ! ! Me and Brad. sharing curses... .now that is funny...

one of these days PeCo, we gotta get our there , although I dont mind yakkin it ..I have a couple old town otters. , I prefer to step on the MinnKota pedal, and let that do the work...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: