CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Isinglass Reservoir - Word of warning Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelts9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Isinglass Reservoir - Word of warning Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move it.

Took up fishing about a month ago, and recently got my permit to fish Isinglass reservoir (Farm Mill)

I've fished there a few times now; it's nice and quiet for a noob. Had a nice chat to one of the water company employees, so all in all it's been a good experience.

However, tonight, a group of boys decided it would be brave to yell "I'm going to eff you up" and "run a-hole" through the woods. I decided to leave when I saw them coming towards me. They had fishing gear, so was quite surprised.

Not sure if anyone fishes there, or is planning too, so just be careful if you are.

Thanks for reading.
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate people that do that when your out fishing. When I was younger I had that happen to me a few times when fishing from shore. Sad It's been a while since I've been in situations like that but now I can defend myself. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence why I usually carry when fishing alone.
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to carry as well when I can, the only problem is this is one of the most liberal states in the country. Even if you were defending yourself somehow it would be your fault. Very aggravating...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
I try to carry as well when I can, the only problem is this is one of the most liberal states in the country. Even if you were defending yourself somehow it would be your fault. Very aggravating...

Another reason why this is the most annoying state to live in. I like the way Phil Robertson from duck commander puts it, "in the subdivisions I gotta call 911. . .where I live I am 911"
x182dan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man that sucks I don't know how I would handle that situation. They were probably punk kids that wouldnt do anything but in todays day you can't take a chance. I'm not a fighter but depending on the situation or my mood I might stand my ground and defend myself.
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.45 a-hole deterrent anytime I'm out in the woods. Atty on speed dial.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell the water company boys about the situation? maybe they can put a stop to them coming down and threating you? Cant let these idiots have control or they will continue to do it. If someone willingly threatens me personally with physical harm they better also be willing to defend themselves if In fact I need to defend myself. Got a friend or two you can bring with you?
Jnorko910

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT is very liberal. It's too bad you can't just go out and enjoy yourself without getting messed with.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, damn liberals. Wont even let you shoot a group of teenagers triny to scare you away from their favorite fishing spot!

We need be able to defend our fishin holes with deadly force! I mean, they could have had 5/0 wide gaps on those rods!!! ; )

Seriously.....

I hate hoodlums as much as the next guy but I think you guys have been watching a little too much Fox "News"

Shit happens. You did the right thing. Its not worth it. Move to another spot, call the cops.... Turn the situation into a one to sneak in your political leanings is a bit of a stretch.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have two knives on me. Both for fishing purposes like cuttin line, worm, or bait. But they can be used if trouble arrives.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. If only my casting was accurate, they would've been sporting a nice treble hook in the eye;)

The main reason, I decided to not get involved was because they didn't drive there, so they're locals. I live 5 minutes away, so I don't wanna risk making enemies so close to home.

I guess I could call the water company, although I'm not sure these places are regulated that well. The Aquarion guy who came by last week, casually asked if I had a permit. I said yes, but he didn't ask to see it.

I took a positive out of it, and decided to hit up Twin Brooks this weekend, as its local. Ended up catching a good size pickerel and a small mouth bass. I'll probably make that my go to spot, and take a trip up the Saugatuck reservoir once in a while.
rmflint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kids were just yelling that in the woods or they saw you and then said it? cause who the he'll looks for a fight while fishing. Like I'm from the younger generation and i've done some dumb things over the years but never went looking for a fight while fishing. Low lives...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you shur they were talking to you ! ? Or were they talking and messing around with each other ! If they were just talking to each other I would think nothing of it !! Just a group of guys talking s&@t to each other horse playing around with all the different kinds of music now a days it's probly something they just heard in a Song or maybe saw it in a movie ! Not taking sides as i was not there ! Just my 2cents

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a self defense perspective, if we as gun owners are presented with a hint of trouble, it's usually time to get out of there. It's a big pain in the ass but in a way, being able to carry and having that ability grants us something (a manner of defense) and robs us of a lot of other things (behavioral freedom).

There are certainly tons of puzzling legal situations to consider when utilizing a firearm for self defense. None of this is new, nor necessarily confined to any particular political group. Ed McGivern, an amazing shooter who wrote "the book" on revolver shooting and was consulted to assist many police agencies, writes about the phenomenon in his book.

Personally if I'm out fishing, I'm there to have a good time. Getting worked up over kids, or stupid punks, or any combination thereof is detracting from that. We can always go fishing later, but instigating a fight (a fight as in something where both parties have mutual interest to engage in conflict) is only going to get the "good guy" in trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: