CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Hatch pond 6/10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Cranky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Hatch pond 6/10 Reply with quote

In a word, frustrating. I went there today to try to pick up some calico's, perch or 'gills. I don't know what it is but the slimy green algae on all the weeds is a pain in the neck to work around. I don't mind working the weed beds but this stuff is like green snot and it fouls up lures and lines non stop. There weren't a lot of boats on there today, just me and 3 others. One fella in his boat working the shoreline very, very thoroughly. I got on the water at 9:30 am and he was there ahead of me and when I left at 1:15 he was still working the shallows on the north end. Total distance he traveled about 4-500 yards. The others quit around 11. I didn't see any of the others landing fish but there was a good bit of distance between us all.

This pond has an algae bloom every year and its about to happen, I think . When it does, it covers the whole place. I have caught fish there during this bloom but I don't think I'll be going back this year. Maybe next year, earlier in the year.

I did end up with 2 calico's and 8 bluegills, all on twisty tail rubber grubs. Threw lots of different lures at them but all in all it was a slower day than I'd hoped for. I ended up working right at the edge of the weeds, where it tapered off in to clearer bottom, in about 11-12' of water. Less cover but less slimy mess, too.
But, I got my hands dirty and not skunked so it was worth the trip.
But not worth a 2nd trip.

I did see a big snapper walking along the concrete dam, you know how they plod along. Well this one was plodding along and I swear, he tripped. His water-side front foot missed the edge of the concrete and he just toppled right over into the water; it was hilarious to see. Very much like slapstick comedy! Lucky for him, he landed in the water on the pond side of the spill way and not the drop off side, other wise he'd have to climb it all over again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: