CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Squantz Pond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteD90

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Squantz Pond Reply with quote

This is my first post on here although I've been following for years. Anyways, living in Chicago now, I get out to beautiful Connecticut twice a year and next week is one of them. Mainly Squantz Pond(where I have family) and a little bit of Candlewood during the week when its not as busy. I was wondering if anyone has fished Squantz recently and is willing to report what they've seen. I've fished Squantz for about 30 years now and I know the lake inside and out so I'm not looking for spots or honey holes. I just wanna know where the smallies are in terms of the spawn, water temps and if the trout are still active. Last year I got out there the week after memorial day and STRUGGLED to find adult Largemouth/Smallmouth but probably hooked 60+ walleye (up to 8lbs) and even the first pickeral I've seen on squantz since 1998. It was very odd to say the least. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am a 100% catch and release angler for what its worth. Its basically a week of nostalgia and fishing spent with my dad. Thanks in advance and I have plenty of info about squantz to share if anyone cares to listen(mostly about the north side of the lake where not many people seem to venture).

-Pete
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pete, Im new on here too. Squantz can either be amazing or extremely terrible. Since memorial day is tomorrow i believe you would have to pay to get in (I may be wrong). The bass are still out but the trout have moved deep. I went there a few days ago and got three trout (all caught dropshotting a nightcrawler), a walleye(bobber with nightcrawler, and a bunch or rock bass, bluegills, and white perch on nightcrawlers. Two of the trout were caught at around 2 pm in 20ish FOW and the other trout and walleye were caught at night at about 9 pm in 10-15 FOW. I have some pictures and video of them but ill be making the video during the week. Id say if you want the trout then dropshot a minnow or nightcrawler close to bottom in 20 FOW. Walleye will be hitting most rapalas or live bait (nightcrawler or minnow) in about 14 FOW on bottom. Bass will be in the fallen trees or big boulders and will slam just about anything you throw at them. I actually have a video of a largemouth guarding her spawning ground. Since you seem to want the bass pretty bad id suggest either a keitech 3-4'' brown/green or a 3-4'' senko worm probably pumpkin color. Cast near the docks on the right side of the lake. Try to keep your lure as light as you can get it Just wondering, what the heck did you catch all those walleye on?
PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthEastFisherman wrote:
Just wondering, what the heck did you catch all those walleye on?

Yeah, Pete, what he asked! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my buddy just fished a tourny at c'wood last weekend, he said the lmb's were spawning, and was catching them off beds, smallmouths were done spawning ! hope that helps you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: